Level one artillery - should each strike remove one entrenchment?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

OxfordGuy3

Level one artillery - should each strike remove one entrenchment?

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Hi - If I have level one artillery (only), should each strike remove one entrenchment? I was playing the 1942 scenario as the axis and fired the rail gun three times at Sevastopol, but only one entrenchment was removed (on the third strike) - but in this case is it because the artillery is directly attacking the resource, rather than the unit, so was the entrenchment reduction on the last strike just a chance thing? Is artillery only really effective at reducing entrenchment if the unit is not on a resource hex or is it just the Rail Gun unit that is like this? Obviously damaging the resource could reduce the supply of the target unit, though.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Hubert Cater

RE: Level one artillery - should each strike remove one entrenchment?

Post by Hubert Cater »

As it is right now, if the artillery is hitting the resource first and foremost, then no the unit above will not suffer any de-entrenchment unless it is also subsequently hit by the artillery. This is only because the Rail Gun is primarly a resource attacking unit first, with a small possibility of hitting the unit on top as well on the same strike.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Okay, thanks, though this was probably the case. Normal artillery is not like this, though, right? Only the Rail Gun unit?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

If the artillery is a 'unit' first striking type of artillery then the de-entrenchment occurs for whenever the defensive unit is attacked. If it is a Rail Gun or Naval strike or any other unit that is targeting the 'resource' first then no, it would have to have a subsequent hit on the defending unit and the attacker would of course also need to have a de-entrenchment value associated with it as well.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

If the artillery is a 'unit' first striking type of artillery then the de-entrenchment occurs for whenever the defensive unit is attacked. If it is a Rail Gun or Naval strike or any other unit that is targeting the 'resource' first then no, it would have to have a subsequent hit on the defending unit and the attacker would of course also need to have a de-entrenchment value associated with it as well.

Thanks, BTW when is the "resource" attack value of Artillery and Rocket Artillery used - always (if the target is a resource hex) or only if no enemy unit is present)?
The Land

Post by The Land »

I wonder if it would be possible to make resource vs unit attack a selectable mode? Except with strategic bombers, I almost always want to deal damage with a bombardment not reduce supply - it feels odd that the game assumes that when I am doing a shore bombardment on the north coast of Africa, I am aiming at the tiny and unimportant town, not the tank corps nearby....
1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: The Land

I wonder if it would be possible to make resource vs unit attack a selectable mode? Except with strategic bombers, I almost always want to deal damage with a bombardment not reduce supply - it feels odd that the game assumes that when I am doing a shore bombardment on the north coast of Africa, I am aiming at the tiny and unimportant town, not the tank corps nearby....

If the tank corps is spread around a town, it's probably very hard to hit with naval gunfire, though
The Land

Post by The Land »

ORIGINAL: oxford_guy

ORIGINAL: The Land

If the tank corps is spread around a town, it's probably very hard to hit with naval gunfire, though

If the tank corps was sitting in a field, the game would think it's a great target. :)
1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”