AI used first turn move bonus on 25 Dec

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Spikeosx

AI used first turn move bonus on 25 Dec

Post by Spikeosx »

I started scenario #7 FC Quiet China as Allies against AI in v1.7.11.24-Dec 25 2014 which I believe is latest release. The AI carriers were moving to Japan for refuel/rearm after striking Wake on 15 Dec from 133,101 but then popped up on 25 Dec at 83,96 west of Babeldaob. I checked at what the AI did. On 25 Dec, his 6 CVs are at Osaka 109,59 disbanded, and on that turn AI created and moved TF of 3 CVs Akagi, Shokaku, & Kaga (and CA + 6xDD) to 83,96 west of Babeldaob which is distance of 45 hexes.

This seems like a bug then an AI cheat that it can move TF at move speed bonus.
BBfanboy

RE: AI used first turn move bonus on 25 Dec

Post by BBfanboy »

The AI is allowed to "cheat" so that it can perform the random scripts that come up for the game. So if the script for that timeframe said KB has to cover a Japanese move the AI would be able to move it where needed as if it was planned from day one and the KB sailed for that purpose in enough time.

I had a Japanese CA jump from the north side of Japan all the way to a point halfway between Palembang and Singapore in one turn, avoiding all the pickets and naval searches I had surrounding Japan. When I complained about it the developers replied along the lines of what I said above.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
nikoslejeune

Post by nikoslejeune »

As far as I know, have experienced and from what I remember of earlier threads about this,
the AI can use a mechanism to shift ships between ports to meet demands (eg a script).
So usually this is done for troop movements etc but also other taskforce-types.

I am not 100% sure but I dont think it moves existing taskforces between sea hexes, so only shifting from
port to port (with disbanded ships) + normal turn movement is what should happen.

Main reason to have this mechanism I'd say, would be synchronizing taskforces + troop movements following a certain script
as BBfanboy said.[&o]

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

AI can teleport ships disbanded in port into other ports around the globe and then make a TF out of them.
But AI will never teleport or bonus move(outside of Dec 7,41) an already existing TF at sea. Can take liberties with TF fuel consumption though, as you will never see out-of-fuel AI TFs making 1 hex per turn :)
Spikeosx

Post by Spikeosx »

I like that a lot better that AI can teleport disbanded ships to different port then the bonus movement. Thanks everyone.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I have never observed the AI perform anything like this?????
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I have never observed the AI perform anything like this?????
Spikeosx checked manually AI side to notice this behavior. You would need to know what ships are exactly in given port, to notice, that they somehow moved way further next turn, that they could (and avoided your blockade).
But I'm guessing it is easier to observe for Allied side, as probably AI's Heavy Ships rarely make actual trip from West Coast to Pearl Harbor.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

As I said, and after thousands of turns, I have never seen the AI do anything like this. Ignoring basic supply rules, suicide attacks and other dumb moves, sure.

A common AI problem is for USN CV to transit from Pearl to the DEI, why not just transport them.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: inqistor
But I'm guessing it is easier to observe for Allied side, as probably AI's Heavy Ships rarely make actual trip from West Coast to Pearl Harbor.
It is easier to observe Allied AI odd behabiours. But for a slightly different reason - you don't have to wait for a turn to play out when you switch sides from Japan to Allied on loading the savegame =)
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

As I said, and after thousands of turns, I have never seen the AI do anything like this. Ignoring basic supply rules, suicide attacks and other dumb moves, sure.

A common AI problem is for USN CV to transit from Pearl to the DEI, why not just transport them.

Scripts are written using assumptions on what the game situation will be in "Normal" circumstances - mostly historic Japanese and Allied moves and losses.

But in a game with a human player running one side, the scripts that trigger after game start often have the wrong assumptions about where things will be, so the AI has to be able to move them to implement the script.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “Tech Support”