Use of Nuclear Devices - Safe engagement range

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

serjames

Use of Nuclear Devices - Safe engagement range

Post by serjames »

Is there a way to work out the safe distance at which I can drop a Nuclear device e.g. a B57 Depth Charge onto an enemy sub without sinking my own fleet ?

Was feeling very pleased with myself I had finally destroyed a pesky Alpha sub that was able to out dive all my Torpedo's.. only to find I managed to sink half my fleet with an Atomic own Goal.... :-) There doesn't seem to be anywhere in the DB that references ranges or Damage radii.

Perhaps I've missed it ?

Cheers for the pointers.

EDIT: for reference The destruction radii for that 20KT Bomb dropped on a sub at -2000 odd feet was +/-7NM (!) for surface ships...
cns180784

RE: Use of Nuclear Devices - Safe engagement range

Post by cns180784 »

Just say "oi, Alpha, nooooooo take this you maggy caaaaaant.
serjames

Post by serjames »

Not sure that's "in the Manual" before anyone else comments... ;-)
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Not sure we ever documented that. Sounds like its needed. Added to a list somewhere.

M
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

I write a test scenario with platform and weapon and use the data from that for mission planning. Too much effort for some of course.

-C
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

I'm thinking there's a lot of variability in that number based on the depth of detonation.

And to add a facetious comment, back in the day I was nuclear artillery qualified. We decided that it was just a bad, bad idea because no artillery piece can shoot that thing far enough away from you (the good guys). :-) The most useful thing we thought we ever learned was how to blow them to tiny pieces and make them unusable when the Russian overran West Germany.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
Cik

Post by Cik »

hey man, it's probably worse to be at the epicenter than at the edge of the fire plate.

sounds like a successful weapon to me.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

One trick is to shoot the nuke past your target so that the target is within the weapon's lethal radius but you are not. It's one use for BOL mode.
ORIGINAL: serjames
Is there a way to work out the safe distance at which I can drop a Nuclear device e.g. a B57 Depth Charge onto an enemy sub without sinking my own fleet ?
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Now that you say this it seems so &*#&* obvious. [slaps head]

Thanks.
ORIGINAL: SeaQueen

One trick is to shoot the nuke past your target so that the target is within the weapon's lethal radius but you are not. It's one use for BOL mode.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

It definitely makes those super-cavitating Shkval's seem a lot more scary doesn't it?
ORIGINAL: ultradave

Now that you say this it seems so &*#&* obvious. [slaps head]

Thanks.
serjames

Post by serjames »

ORIGINAL: SeaQueen

Great point. I ended up doing it this way myself after a re-load. I couldn't get my fleet to sail away fast enough - so kept the Alpha turned & Burned by dropping Asroc's behind it - then worked out where it was gonna roughly be in 5m time. Dropped the bomb there....

Interesting observation was that it detonates VERY quickly after release at 1000ft is there any simulation of it trying to reach a depth ? Doesn't appear so as I imagine it would take a good long while to get to -2000ft etc... Anyway thanks for all the comments, good fun messing with it...

This is basically what I ended up with....

Schr75

Post by Schr75 »

This is basically what I ended up with....

Which is why you fly fast and high when you drop these things. I have "shot" my self down more than once, by dropping an NDC at low altitude and then not being able to escape the blast.[:D]
Interesting observation was that it detonates VERY quickly after release at 1000ft is there any simulation of it trying to reach a depth ? Doesn't appear so as I imagine it would take a good long while to get to -2000ft etc...

Considering the lethal radius of such a weapon I don´t see much point in letting it descend to the targets depth.
A few hundred feet off don´t matter much with a lethal radius measured in miles.[:)]

I would think it is detonated by a simple timer, but I could very well me wrong.

Søren
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

It's probably not so much a matter of descending to the target's depth in the same way one would try to get a "direct hit" with a regular depth charge. Since the whole point of a nuclear depth charge is to create shock and over-pressure, my suspicion is that depending on the water depth and the target depth, there might be an "optimum depth" at which the ocean, acting as a wave-guide, ducts the energy most effectively. You can imagine the detonation depth as somehow effecting the boundary conditions which govern the propagation of the shock wave.

This is purely speculative on my part, however. I have no experience with nuclear depth charges.
ORIGINAL: Schr75
Considering the lethal radius of such a weapon I don´t see much point in letting it descend to the targets depth.
A few hundred feet off don´t matter much with a lethal radius measured in miles.[:)]
serjames

Post by serjames »

Quite right.. it's certainly over-pressure that does for the sub... assuming it's not close enough to be "vapourised" in an instant.

I think the point about sinking the charge down, is to avoid blue on blue etc i.e. use the water to absorb as much as possible... keep in contained in a specific area.

I'm Sure there must be some de-classified material out there somewhere on the procedures... will have a look purely for interest
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

You may find this document fairly interesting: Operation Hardtack
Some very nice tables at the end, well worth a look by those interested.

You may also like this calculator: Nuclear Weapons at Sea Effects Calculator
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

You may also like this summary of: U.S. underwater nuclear testing and derived effects.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

OldSarge,

Thanks for two excellent references. I've included them in the unofficial CMANO reference library.
Anyone who would like access to this DropBox library please PM me with your real email address.

-Wayne Stiles
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

Yeah I think there should be an entry in the DB for the blast radius, so that you know if your units will be safe or not when the weapon detonates.

Or perhaps a warning from the unit that is launching/dropping the weapon if it is too close, this in would be particularly be useful for Submarine launched Nuclear torpedoes and ship borne Nuclear depth charges.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I have taken out my own sub in game with SUBROC... OK, took out enemy too..but... So, it is sometimes something one fails to notice...that one is too close.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

StellarRat

Post by StellarRat »

I suppose you could fire over a hill unto the enemy on the other side. That would seem fairly safe.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”