This vs. WITE?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

CaptainKoloth

This vs. WITE?

Post by CaptainKoloth »

I'm finally ready to take the plunge into devoting the time to try this or WITE but I'm having trouble deciding which to get. I know this is newer and that a WITE 2 is coming but I also worry about how balanced gameplay is in WITW since it starts in 1943. Is it just an inevitable march to Germany's destruction? Is it worth playing as the Axis? I feel like (with no proof) there's more chance for balanced play and victory by either side in WITE just given the nature of the conflicts being simulated.
Joel Billings

RE: This vs. WITE?

Post by Joel Billings »

You can win a game of WitW as the Axis, but you can't win the war. The 1943 situation on the Eastern Front and the atomic bomb pretty much assures a long-term loss. So as the Axis, the goal is to slow down the Allies, make them pay for their regaining ground, and fend off the worst of the strategic bombing campaign. The initiative will never change from the Allies back to the Axis, although the Axis can launch some counterattacks.

In WitE, the Axis can win outright (it's not easy or likely), but in most games the initiative at some point will shift to the Soviets. Once this happens, the Axis can still win the game, but will be in the situation where they are fighting very much like WitW for several years, fighting off the inevitable defeat (but still trying to get an in-game victory).

WitW has a bigger role for the air forces, and has a more developed air system. If you're strictly a ground pounder, you probably will prefer WitE, although you can get the AI to help you run most of the air war in WitW. I think a lot depends on what front you are more interested in, and more interested in learning more about. That's my 2 cents.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

Have not played this very much, however my impressions are:
WITW is technically a better game, better manual, better logistics, better air war, land combat not so different. However to play well HvH you need to do a lot of 'admin' (especially as Allies) which for me detracts a little from the enjoyment. Of course you could leave the AI to manage much of the air war which would cut most of this out but be less effective. On the strategic side there are not that many options - the Allies invade Sicily, work their way up Italy as far as possible, then invade Northern France. There are many tactical options within this broad strategy. Though I don't really know, the developers appear to have worked good play balance into the victory conditions.

WITE is less sophisticated. The manual is poor so to get good at HvH you probably need to read a lot on the forum. It is under more progressive development with new patches. The campaign has more forces so each turn takes longer. There is a larger active HvH community. I think the play balance is good though there may be issues that come up. In the strategic sense there are more options for both sides which for me makes it a more interesting game to play over and over again.

Play both, two of the best games ever developed. Just pick one first as there is a lot to learn.
The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !
CaptainKoloth

Post by CaptainKoloth »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

You can win a game of WitW as the Axis, but you can't win the war. The 1943 situation on the Eastern Front and the atomic bomb pretty much assures a long-term loss. So as the Axis, the goal is to slow down the Allies, make them pay for their regaining ground, and fend off the worst of the strategic bombing campaign. The initiative will never change from the Allies back to the Axis, although the Axis can launch some counterattacks.

In WitE, the Axis can win outright (it's not easy or likely), but in most games the initiative at some point will shift to the Soviets. Once this happens, the Axis can still win the game, but will be in the situation where they are fighting very much like WitW for several years, fighting off the inevitable defeat (but still trying to get an in-game victory).

WitW has a bigger role for the air forces, and has a more developed air system. If you're strictly a ground pounder, you probably will prefer WitE, although you can get the AI to help you run most of the air war in WitW. I think a lot depends on what front you are more interested in, and more interested in learning more about. That's my 2 cents.

Wow, didn't expect to get a reply from one of the developers, thanks! This is really helpful and consistent with what I had expected. Unfortunately it doesn't make my decision any easier as I find attractive elements in both games! I'm leaning toward WitW since I am actually more of an airplane guy and WITE 2 is coming eventually, but I'm sure I'll change my mind several more times before deciding.
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

ORIGINAL: CaptainKoloth

I'm finally ready to take the plunge into devoting the time to try this or WITE but I'm having trouble deciding which to get. I know this is newer and that a WITE 2 is coming but I also worry about how balanced gameplay is in WITW since it starts in 1943. Is it just an inevitable march to Germany's destruction? Is it worth playing as the Axis? I feel like (with no proof) there's more chance for balanced play and victory by either side in WITE just given the nature of the conflicts being simulated.

If you can afford it then I would recommend you buy both. There is nothing else like these two games on the market

If you have to choose one then I would plump for WITW. The air war alone is like a game within a game and that makes it better than WITE IMO.

Also WITE 2.0 is coming out at some point in the future which makes WITW the more logical choice at this point in time.

I prefer the Western Front and I usually play the Allies so the lack of strategic choices for the Axis doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. If you prefer to play as the Axis then WITE may be the better option for you.

The logistical side of the war is handled much better in WITW also.
War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
EddyBear81

Post by EddyBear81 »

Agree with all what XXXCorps said.

Also, the strategic choices in WiTW are more interesting in my opinion : where to land in Italy ? Going for the islands or not ? Where to land in France (or Netherlands) ? 1 or 2 landings ? How to use paras ? What approach for strategic bombing ?
Okay, this is mostly for the Allies... but countering these strategies is also fun !

Compared to this, WiTE feels like a armwrestling match.

That being said, I can't wait for WiTE 2.0 !
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

If it's a toss-up for you, I would go with WITW. WITW is a later, updated system upon which the forthcoming WITE2 will be based. Best to learn the latest system and purchase the WITE2 game when it's available rather than starting with the dated WITE and then having to upgrade to WITE2 when it becomes available.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Until you are good as an Allied player, the Axis can actually win - as in can stop you getting in to Germany before game end (even as the AI - put it on challenging and get your whipping!). Italy is easy to beat an inexperienced player, and unless you know how to run the supplies in France you will never get going fast enough to invade Germany properly. However once you do learn, you are down to Victory points. The Axis will never manage sustained offensive action in WitW. both sides getting that, you need WitE. I don't think WitE2 will be out soon enough to influence your decision.
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

While WitW is the newer and better system, you should also consider that WitE offers much more scenarios and campaigns of various size - so you will always be able to find something as big/long (or small/short) as you feel playing in a given moment. Also, as already mentioned, WitE is both simpler and more varied.

Anyway, "WitW is better than WitE" comes from comparing strictly these two games alone. WitE is still better than the vast majority of wargames out there.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”