Nike Hercules Recommended Changes

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Ping Jockey

Nike Hercules Recommended Changes

Post by Ping Jockey »

I wanted to put this in the Cold War Database Platform Request thread, but the forum software isn't allowing it. I conferred with .Sirius and he asked me to create a new thread, so here it is:

Changes need to be made to the Nike Hercules missile and its launch facilities in the Cold War Database. Note that I have also submitted a list of changes for the Nike Ajax missile and its facilities. There will be some overlap and duplication, but the devil is in the details.

THE MISSILES

Required changes fall into 3 areas: Warheads, target engagement capabilities and guidance.

Warheads

You already know that Nike Hercules had conventional and nuclear variants. CMANO lists one nuclear variant (#1645 MIM-14B Nike Hercules – [W-31 Mod 0 20kt]), there were actually three: 2kt, 20kt and 40kt. I see that you’ve listed the warhead designation in the missile name. Although attention to detail is commendable (it had better be – otherwise what am I doing here?!), nomenclature can be tricky. Within the same warhead type and mod, there might be more than one yield, and warheads of the same type and yield might be different mods. The W-31 is a poster-child for this:

W-31 Mod 0 Y1: 1kt (not used in Nike Hercules)
W-31 Mod 0 Y2: 20kt (Nike Hercules & Honest John)
W-31 Mod 1: 12kt (used for the Atomic Demolition Munition (ADM), not Nike)*
W-31 Mod 2 Y1: 2kt (Nike Hercules)
W-31 Mod 2 Y2: 40kt (Nike Hercules)
W-31 Mod 3: 40kt (Honest John only)

*When they did a live-fire test of a Nike Hercules nuke in November of 1962, they didn’t use any of the standard Herc warheads; they used the 12kt ADM device. If I didn’t know better, I’d say they were just trolling us poor history buffs & researchers.

The bottom line is that I recommend you leave the designations in the warhead listings and name the missiles with just the yields:

#331 MIM-14B Nike Hercules: Rename this “MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional)”
#1645 MIM-14B Nike Hercules – [W-31 Mod 0 20kt]: Rename this “MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt)”
Create “MIM-14B Nike Hercules (2kt)”
Create “MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)”

Target Capability

Nike Hercules had over-the-horizon Surface-to-Surface capability. The operator in the IFC would manually input the land target coordinates and detonation altitude (measured by the missile’s barometric sensor). It could also be set to explode on impact. The Target Tracking Radars were not used. After launch, the Missile Tracking Radar guided the bird to a point directly above the target and just above the horizon from the MTR. The MTR would then command the missile to dive straight down to the detonation altitude and cut the comms. All of this can be abstracted in CMANO of course. I was playing with the Redstone SSM in the game. It allows the player to either designate a specific target using F1 or Shift+F1, or to use Cntl+F1 to designate a point to where the missile will fly and detonate. These are exactly the mechanics needed to model Nike Hercules in Surface-to-Surface mode.

Speaking of Redstone, Nike Hercules was also capable of engaging tactical ballistic missiles. As early as 1960, it had successfully engaged Corporal missiles and even another Nike Hercules missile in flight. Redstone (which, in CMANO re-enters at 3,000 knots) was considered the highest-performance TBM that Nike Hercules could engage. A crucial limiting factor was that the High Power Acquisition Radar (HIPAR) as originally built did not have the elevation to see the missiles diving down from on-high. The Army ordered HIPARs deployed overseas (i.e. places that faced a tactical ballistic missile threat) modified for ATBM. I will discuss this more in the facilities section.

Guidance
Like Nike Ajax, Nike Hercules used Command Guidance, rather than Semi-Active Radar Homing (SARH) which it currently has in CMANO.

GENERAL DATA
Guidance Type should be Command-Guided.
Target Speed should be 0 – 3000 kt
Range (anti-land) should be 100nm.
Land PoH/Reliability
- Conventional should be 55%
- Nuclear variants should be 90%
CEP, Land (nominal): 30m. The missile receives continuous guidance updates until it begins its terminal dive directly over the target.

SENSORS / EW
Delete the box for SENSORS / EW. Nike Hercules had no onboard sensor.

COMMS / DATALINKS
Add a box for COMMS / DATALINKS that includes “NH MTR Command Datalink”. Type is “Hercules Weapon Link”, Max Range: ~110nm, Channels: 1, Properties: LOS-Limited, Secure, Receive-Only, UHF Radio.

PROPERTIES

WARHEADS
- Conventional: Current entry is correct.
- 20kt nuclear: W-31 Mod 0, Y2
- 2kt nuclear: W-31 Mod 2, Y1
- 40kt nuclear: W-31 Mod 2, Y2

VALID TARGETS – Add the following:
- Land Structures (Hard)
- Land Structures (Soft)
- Runways
(Mobile targets would be engaged using Cntl+F1)

THE LAUNCH FACILITIES

These recommendations are for Nike Hercules facilities in North America. Although it was deployed in many allied countries in Europe and the Far East, I have not yet researched those installations.

More than 140 Nike Hercules Sites were constructed (or modified from existing Nike Ajax sites) across the United States (including Alaska & Hawaii) and in Greenland. Some sites were built as above-ground revetments and others in more permanent surface buildings; however most sites used between 2 and 6 separate below-ground magazines. Each magazine fed a 2, 3 or 4-rail launcher.

I tried - I really, really tried - to keep the number of facilities down to the lowest reasonable number. At one point I had them simplified to “only” 14. However, I ran up against an immutable historical fact: There were two generations of Nike Hercules – “Basic” and “Improved”. The differences were mainly in the sensors and fire control equipment, rather than the missiles themselves. The Army began upgrading the Basic Nike Hercules sites to Improved Nike Hercules only a few years after the system was introduced; but those few years included two of the most dangerous crises of the Cold War: Berlin and Cuba. Thus 13 of my 14 site types have to be listed twice - as Basic and Improved. The 14th type was likely built as Improved – for a total of 27.

If it’s any consolation, DB3000 has the same number of database entries for just four US ships (CG-52 through 55).

GENERAL DATA

Most Nike Hercules magazines were robustly built. Call the General Armor “Light (41 – 90mm RHA)” and the damage points ~150 (that’s for the magazines - the radars and control van were (except for one facility near Philadelphia) unhardened). The exception was the above-ground magazines near Homestead AFB in Florida. These weren’t much more than large tin sheds. Some installations had missile launchers in dirt revetments with no magazines.

The OODA cycle for the Nike Hercules is good. I’ll discuss the physical characteristics for each facility (below).

SENSORS/EW

Note: Like my recommendations for Nike Ajax, rather than adding or deleting sensors it’s better to assign sensors to mounts and then add those mounts. Before going into the details of what needs to be added, removed or corrected, let’s review the Nike Hercules Integrated Fire Control (IFC) system.

Like Nike Ajax, the Basic Nike Hercules IFC had 4 main components:
- The Low-Powered Acquisition Radar
- The Target Tracking Radar
- The Missile Tracking Radar
- The IFC Trailer

The Improve Nike Hercules system added two important components:
- The High-Powered Acquisition Radar
- The Target Ranging Radar

The High-Powered Acquisition Radar (HIPAR, a.k.a. AN/MPQ-43 & 44) was the main search radar for Improved Nike Hercules. It was also complex and expensive. Many Nike Hercules sites instead received the cheaper Alternate Battery Acquisition Radar (ABAR, a.k.a. AN/FPS-69, 71 & 75). Note that the current listing (Sensor #33) “AN/FPS-71 HIPAR” is technically wrong because it gives HIPAR an ABAR designation. On the other hand, it gives me an idea:

Rename #33 “HIPAR/ABAR”.

Functionally they are not that different and are obviously both adequate for detecting targets for Nike. This not only avoids getting us bogged-down in Army/Navy designator minutia, it keeps us from needing to make some facilities with HIPAR and some with ABAR. Note that “Vehicle (AN/FPS-71 HIPAR)” (#162) with which this radar is associated will need to be renamed also.

As I mentioned elsewhere, the Nike Ajax ACQR was renamed the Low-Power Acquisition Radar (LOPAR) and was also at Nike Hercules sites (The radar was kept (with minor technological modifications and improvements not worth modeling) because although it had a shorter range, it had a higher scan-rate). If you have not already done so,

Rename sensor #34“Nike ACQR/LOPAR” and use this for both Ajax and Hercules . Change the Abilities to “Early 60s Technology”

Like Nike Ajax, Nike Hercules used Fire Control Radars to track the incoming target and the outgoing missiles. In addition to the Target Tracking Radar (TTR), Improved Nike Hercules used a second FCR to track the target. This extra sensor, called the Target Ranging Radar (TRR), was slaved to the TTR and tracked the same target, but at a higher frequency and with additional ECCM capabilities.

The current database entries for “NH Target Tracking Radar” (#101) and “NH Target Ranging Radar” (#36) look OK, but remember that they do not provide SARH illumination. Rather, they provide target tracking data for the command-guidance system.

For modeling in CMANO, we’ll use modified versions of these sensors to differentiate Basic and Improved Nike Hercules. Let’s keep the TTR (#101) “as is” for the Basic. #36 will represent the two radars together for Improved.

Change the technology setting for “NH Target Tracking Radar” (#101) to “Early ‘60s”.

Rename the “NH Target Ranging Radar” (#36) to “NH TTR/TRR Pair”. Keep the technology setting at “Early ‘70s”.

Basic Nike Hercules will have only #101, Improved Nike Hercules will have only #36; never both.

Like Nike Ajax, Nike Hercules Missile Tracking Radar MTR functioned more like a datalink than an FC Radar.

The HIPAR/ABAR, TTR, TRR and MTR sent their data to the Integrated Fire Control trailer, which contained the operator consoles and analog computers. From here the targets were tracked and the missiles launched and controlled. Using the TTR & MTR inputs, the IFC calculated the intercept point and sent a constant series of control commands to the missile via MTR.

A few more notes on the IFC:

- As an aggregate, radars and control trailer were called the IFC site.

- Like Nike Ajax, Nike Hercules IFC sites were physically located ~1-4 miles from the Launcher site. For the purposes of CMANO, the physical separation doesn’t really matter and does not need to be modeled. Most scenarios involving these facilities would involve nuclear weapons, so a strike that takes out one site would likely take out the other.

- Each TTR/TRR/MTR set could guide 1 missile against 1 target (the current Semi-Active Radar Homing that CMANO lists for Hercules allows multiple missiles to be launched against a target, which is not correct).

- The standard Nike Hercules sites had only 1 TTR, 1 TRR (if Improved) and 1 MTR (total, not per magazine) and thus could only engage 1 target at a time.

- The larger sites had 2 TTRs, 2 TRRs (if Improved), 2 MTRs and 2 IFC trailers and could engage 2 targets at a time. These were called “Double Sites”. (In fact, double sites were considered separate batteries with co-located launch sites. Sometimes the IFCs were co-located with each other, but often the two (with their own TTR/TRR/MTR sets & IFC trailers) were at separate locations miles apart. Again, this does not need to be modeled).

- If both search radars or both the TTR & TRR or the MTR or the IFC trailer was damaged, destroyed or passive, the Nike Hercules site could not engage a target.

Sensor recommendations (summary):

RENAME “AN/FPS-71 HIPAR” (ID #33) “Nike HIPAR/ABAR”. Its associated mount #162 “Vehicle (AN/FPS-71 HIPAR)” should itself be renamed (see below).

Create a “Nike HIPAR ATBM” with the same characteristics as the “Nike HIPAR/ABAR” (#33) but [enable it to see targets at very high altitude (~200,000ft). It will need an associated mount based on #162 “Vehicle (AN/FPS-71 HIPAR)” (see below). This radar & mount will not be assigned to any of the US facilities we create below. It will be needed for future facilities built for Europe and South Korea. CMANO users can experiment with adding it to US coastal installations to counter early Soviet SLBMs (i.e. the SS-N-4)

RENAME “NH LOPAR” (ID #34) “Nike ACQR/LOPAR”. Its associated mount #164 “Vehicle (NH LOPAR)” should itself be renamed (see below). CHANGE the technology to “Early 60’s”.

CHANGE the technology setting for “NH Target Tracking Radar” (#101) to “Early ‘60s”.

RENAME “NH Target Ranging Radar” (#36) to “NH TTR/TRR Pair”. Keep the technology setting at “Early ‘70s”. Its associated mount #166 “Vehicle (NH Target Ranging Radar (TRR))” should itself be renamed (see below).

DELETE the “NH Missile Tracking Radar” (#152) from the sensors. It is more correctly classified as a datalink.

COMMS / DATALINKS

ADD a box for COMMS / DATALINKS that includes “NH MTR Command Datalink”. Type is “Hercules Weapon Link”, Max Range: ~110nm, Channels: 1, Properties: LOS-Limited, Secure, Send-Only, UHF Radio. This will be associated with the “Vehicle (NH Missile Tracking Radar (MTR))” (#169) (see below).

MOUNTS / STORES / WEAPONS

In my recommended changes to CMANO’s Nike Ajax sites, I suggested that the IFC could either be modeled as several separate vehicle/mounts with their associated sensor & datalinks (which is how it’s done currently) or creating a single mount with all of the associated sensors and datalinks. Because of the semi-mobile nature of Nike Hercules batteries overseas, you might as well make/modify the mounts below now. We’ll need them eventually. You can decide whether to make the North American IFCs using the separate mounts or single integrated mounts:

CREATE a mount based on #204 “Vehicle (HQ Unit (Generic))” and rename it “Vehicle (Nike IFC Trailer)”.

CHANGE the name of “Vehicle (AN/FPS-71 HIPAR)” (#162) to “Vehicle (Nike HIPAR/ABAR)”. This will have the “Nike HIPAR/ABAR” radar (renamed from “AN/FPS-71 HIPAR” (ID #33).

CHANGE the name of “Vehicle (NH LOPAR)” (#164) to “Vehicle (Nike ACQR/LOPAR)”. This will have the “Nike ACQR/LOPAR” radar (renamed from “NH LOPAR” (ID #34).

CHANGE the name of “Vehicle (NH Target Ranging Radar (TRR))” (#166) to “Vehicle (Nike TTR/TRR Pair)”. This will have the “NH TTR/TRR Pair” radar (renamed from “Target Ranging Radar (TRR) (ID #36).

The “Vehicle (NH Missile Tracking Radar (MTR))” (#169) will have the “NH MTR Command Datalink” we created above.

Double Sites will have two each of the IFC, HIPAR/ABAR, TTR, (or TTR/TRR Pair) and MTR vehicles (and their associated radars & datalinks). Remember that single-IFC facilities can only control one missile at a time against one target, and Double Sites can control one missile at each of two targets at a time.

If going the integrated route, create the following 2 mounts with the listed sensors & datalinks:

Nike Hercules (Basic) IFC
(ID #34) Nike ACQR/LOPAR
(ID#101) NH Target Tracking Radar
NH MTR Command Datalink

Nike Hercules (Improved) IFC
(ID #33) “Nike HIPAR/ABAR
(ID #34) “Nike ACQR/LOPAR
(ID #36) to “NH TTR/TRR Pair
NH MTR Command Datalink

CWDB 467 has two mounts for Nike Hercules: “Nike Hercules 3-Missile Lnchr Complex (#546)” and “Nike Hercules 4-Missile Lnchr Complex (#2311)”. We’ll need a few more, but these two will be the basis for most of our facilities. These mounts’ draw from the list of Weapons Records for both loading their launchers and for the reloads in the magazines. There is no listing in the “Add Magazine” for Nike Hercules. Changes will need to be made to their associated weapons records for launchers & magazines.

The listed reload time for Nike magazines is currently set at 600 seconds, which is much too long. Although the launcher rails were moved and connected manually, most of the actual time was spent lowering and raising the elevator (~20-30 seconds each way) and elevating the rail to the launch angle (~30 seconds). ~120 seconds is a realistic reload time. I’ll have more to say about reloading below.

Currently, the listing for the mounts show all of the launchers loaded (either 3/3 & 4/4) AND the magazines full (6/6 & 8/8). This would never be the case since the missiles on the launchers come from the magazines. On alert (in the above examples and ignoring missile variants), the launchers would have 3/3 or 4/4 and the associated magazines would have 3/6 and 4/8, respectively (hypothetically – in reality the larger magazines in Alaska held 9 missiles rather than 8).

All of the US Nike Hercules facilities should have a mix of nuclear and conventional missiles. Nuclear variants were much more common than conventional birds (more than 2,500 W-31 warheads were produced for Hercules). The Nike Hercules weapons console at the IFC had three warhead settings (which selected which missile would fire): High-Yield, Low-Yield, and Conventional. This implies that a given site might have two of the three nuclear warhead types (40kt & 20kt, 40kt & 2kt, or 20kt & 2kt), but not all three at once. Magazine load-out information is sketchy to non-existent, but two of my sources agreed about two things:

1. US batteries did not stock the 2 kiloton variant. These were deployed to Europe and possibly the Far East.

2. Each individual magazine at a launcher site commonly stored only one conventional missile.

Taking that at face value, and to keep things simple (hah!), I recommend that (unless otherwise noted) each magazine should be equipped with one 40kt and one Conventional variant, and all the rest will be 20kt variants. The Conventional and 40kt birds will be on the rails ready to fire. This is so that, if Nuclear Release is not granted, the sites have Conventional weapons ready for action. With Nuclear Release, 40kt missiles would be launched first so that the biggest warhead would engage at the greatest distance from the area being defended. We should go ahead and create weapons records for the 2kt variant for the launchers & magazines just in case new load-out info comes along.

To build the historical US Nike Hercules facilities I’ll start with the weapons records, use those to build/modify the mounts, and then use the mounts to build the facilities. We will use the following components with the changes noted:

WEAPONS RECORDS for LAUNCHERS

EXISTING RECORDS IN CWDB BUILD 467
- MIM-14B Nike Hercules (3/3) – ROF:11 (#1599): This represents Nike Hercules (Conv) loaded on the “Nike Hercules 3-Missile Lnchr Complex” (#546).
- MIM-14B Nike Hercules (0/3) – ROF:11 (#4365): This represents Nike Hercules (20kt) for the “Nike Hercules 3-Missile Lnchr Complex” (#546).
- MIM-14B Nike Hercules (4/4) – ROF:11 (#2624) : This represents Nike Hercules (Conv) loaded on the “Nike Hercules 4-Missile Lnchr Complex” (#2311).
- MIM-14B Nike Hercules (0/4) – ROF:11 (#4367) : This represents Nike Hercules (20kt) for the “Nike Hercules 4-Missile Lnchr Complex” (#2311).

REQUIRED RECORDS (created or modified from the above existing records)

MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (1/4) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (2kt) (0/4) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (2/4) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt) (1/4) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt) (2/4) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (1/3) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (2kt) (0/3) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (1/3) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt) (1/3) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (1/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (2/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (2kt) (0/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (1/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (2/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt) (1/2) – ROF:11

While we’re at it, we might as well make the weapon records for the single-rail mobile missile launchers used overseas:

MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (1/1) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (2kt) (1/1) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (1/1) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt) (1/1) – ROF:11

WEAPONS RECORDS for MAGAZINES

EXISTING RECORDS IN CWDB BUILD 467

MIM-14B Nike Hercules (6/6) – ROF:600 (#1273): This represents Nike Hercules (Conv) stored in the magazine.

MIM-14B Nike Hercules (0/6) – ROF:600 (#4366): This represents Nike Hercules (20kt) stored in the magazine.

MIM-14B Nike Hercules (8/8) – ROF:600 (#1272): This represents Nike Hercules (Conv) stored in the magazine of the “Nike Hercules 4-Missile Lnchr Complex” (#2311). The magazines that held more than 6 Nike Hercules were above-ground buildings found only in Alaska, and they could hold 9.

MIM-14B Nike Hercules (0/8) – ROF:600 (#4368) This represents Nike Hercules (20kt) for the magazine of the “Nike Hercules 4-Missile Lnchr Complex” (#2311). The magazines that held more than 6 Nike Hercules were above-ground buildings found only in Alaska, and they could hold 9.

REQUIRED RECORDS (created or modified from existing records) There were three sizes of magazine: 4-missile (Homestead), 9-missile (Alaska) and 6-missile (all others). Above-ground revetment batteries did not have reloads or an associated magazine on-site.

MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (0/4) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (2kt) (0/4) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (1/4) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40) (0/4) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (0/6) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (2kt) (0/6) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (2/6) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (3/6) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt) (0/6) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt) (2/6) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (2/9) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (2kt) (0/9) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (3/9) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40) (0/9) – ROF:120

WEAPONS MOUNTS (Built from the above weapons records)

Nike Hercules Single Conventional Missile Lnchr
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional) (1/1) – ROF:11
(No magazine)

Nike Hercules Single 2Kt Missile Lnchr
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (2Kt) (1/1) – ROF:11
(No magazine)

Nike Hercules Single 20Kt Missile Lnchr
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (1/1) – ROF:11
(No magazine)

Nike Hercules Single 40Kt Missile Lnchr
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (1/1) – ROF:11
(No magazine)

Nike Hercules 3-Missile Lnchr Complex (#546)
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (1/3) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (1/3) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (3/6) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (0/6) – ROF:120

Nike Hercules 4-Missile Lnchr Complex (#2311)
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (2/4) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (1/4) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (2/6) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (0/6) – ROF:120

Nike Hercules Alaska Lnchr Complex (to be added)
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (1/4) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (2/4) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (2/9) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (2kt) (0/9) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (3/9) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (0/9) – ROF:120

Nike Hercules Homestead Lnchr Complex (to be added)
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (1/3) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (1/3) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (0/4) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (2kt) (0/4) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (1/4) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (0/4) – ROF:120

Nike Hercules Thule Lnchr Complex (to be added)
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (0/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (1/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (2/6) – ROF:120
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (2/6) – ROF:120

Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Conv) (to be added)
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (2/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20Kt) (0/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40Kt) (0/2) – ROF:11
(No magazine)

Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Mixed) (to be added)
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (0/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt) (1/2) – ROF:11
(No magazine)

Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Nuclear) (to be added)
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conv) (0/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (2/2) – ROF:11
MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt) (0/2) – ROF:11
(No magazine)

Now we are ready to build the Facilities using the above mounts:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic)) 8 Launchers

GENERAL DATA
Area: 570 square meters

2 x Nike Hercules 4-Missile Lnchr Complex
Weapons (per mount) should read:
“1 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)”
“2 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (2 on mount magazine)”
“1 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional)”

Either
1 x Nike Hercules (Basic) IFC This adds the LOPAR & TTR sensors and the MTR datalink.
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)
1 x Vehicle (Nike ACQR/LOPAR) This should add the Nike ACQR/LOPAR to SENSORS / EW.
1 x Vehicle (NH Target Tracking Radar (TTR)) This should add the NH Target Tracking Radar to SENSORS / EW
1 x Vehicle (NH Missile Tracking Radar (MTR)) This should add the NH Missile Tracking Radar to COMMS / DATALINKS

Unit Weapons:
2 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)
8 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt)
2 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional)

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic)) 7 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

1 x Nike Hercules 4-Missile Lnchr Complex
Weapons should read:
“2 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (2 on mount magazine)”.

1 x Nike Hercules 3-Missile Lnchr Complex
Weapons should read:
“1 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (3 on mount magazine)”.

Either
1 x Nike Hercules (Basic) IFC This adds the LOPAR & TTR sensors and the MTR datalink.
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)
1 x Vehicle (Nike ACQR/LOPAR) This should add the Nike ACQR/LOPAR to SENSORS / EW.
1 x Vehicle (NH Target Tracking Radar (TTR)) This should add the NH Target Tracking Radar to SENSORS / EW
1 x Vehicle (NH Missile Tracking Radar (MTR)) This should add the NH Missile Tracking Radar to COMMS / DATALINKS

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic)) 12 Launchers

GENERAL DATA
Area: 855 square meters

3 x Nike Hercules 4-Missile Lnchr Complex

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:
3 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)
12 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt)
3 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional)

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic)) 11 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

Weapons should read:
“1 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (3 on mount magazine)”

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic)) 10 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

Weapons should read:

2 x Nike Hercules 3-Missile Lnchr Complex

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic)) 16 Launchers

GENERAL DATA
Area: 1140 square meters

4 x Nike Hercules 4-Missile Lnchr Complex

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:
4 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)
16 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt)
4 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional)

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic) Abv Gnd Alaska) 8 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

2 x Nike Hercules Alaska Lnchr Complex
“2 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)”
“1 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional) (2 on mount magazine)”

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:
6 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional)

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic) Abv Gnd Thule) 6 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

3 x Nike Hercules Thule Lnchr Complex
“1 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)” (2 on mount magazine)”
“0 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (2 on mount magazine)”

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:
9 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)
6 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt)

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic) Abv Gnd Revt) 12 Launchers

GENERAL DATA
Area: 12800 square meters

2 x Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Conv)
“2 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional)”

2 x Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Nuclear)
“2 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt)"

2 x Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Mixed)

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:
4 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt)

DOUBLE-IFC BASIC NIKE HERCULES SITES:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic) CONUS Double Site) 16 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

Either
2 x Nike Hercules (Basic) IFC This adds the LOPAR & TTR sensors and the MTR datalinks.
or
2 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)
2 x Vehicle (Nike ACQR/LOPAR) This should add 2 Nike ACQR/LOPARs to SENSORS / EW.
2 x Vehicle (NH Target Tracking Radar (TTR)) This should add 2 NH Target Tracking Radars to SENSORS / EW
2 x Vehicle (NH Missile Tracking Radar (MTR)) This should add 2 NH Missile Tracking Radars to COMMS / DATALINKS

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic) Double Site) 22 Launchers

GENERAL DATA
Area: 1710 square meters

Either
2 x Nike Hercules (Basic) IFC This adds the LOPAR & TTR sensors and the MTR datalinks.
or
2 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)
2 x Vehicle (Nike ACQR/LOPAR) This should add 2 Nike ACQR/LOPARs to SENSORS / EW.
2 x Vehicle (NH Target Tracking Radar (TTR)) This should add 2 NH Target Tracking Radars to SENSORS / EW
2 x Vehicle (NH Missile Tracking Radar (MTR)) This should add 2 NH Missile Tracking Radars to COMMS / DATALINKS

Unit Weapons:
6 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)
24 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt)

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic) Abv Gnd Alaska) 16 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

4 x Nike Hercules Alaska Lnchr Complex

Either
or
2 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:
8 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)
12 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional)

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Basic) Abv Gnd Revt Double Site) 24 Launchers

GENERAL DATA
Area: 25600 square meters

6 x Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Nuclear)

6 x Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Mixed)

Either
or
2 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved)) 8 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

Either
1 x Nike Hercules (Improved) IFC This adds the HIPAR, LOPAR & TTR/TRR sensors and the MTR datalink.
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)
1 x Vehicle (Nike HIPAR/ABAR) This should add 2 Nike HIPAR/ABARs to SENSORS / EW.
1 x Vehicle (Nike ACQR/LOPAR) This should add 2 Nike ACQR/LOPARs to SENSORS / EW.
1 x Vehicle (NH TTR/TRR Pair) This should add the NH TTR/TRR Pairs to SENSORS / EW

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved)) 7 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

Weapons should read:

Weapons should read:
“1 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (3 on mount magazine)”.

Either
1 x Nike Hercules (Improved) IFC This adds HIPAR, LOPAR & TTR/TRR sensors and the MTR datalink.
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)
1 x Vehicle (Nike HIPAR/ABAR) This should add 2 Nike HIPAR/ABARs to SENSORS / EW.
1 x Vehicle (Nike ACQR/LOPAR) This should add 2 Nike ACQR/LOPARs to SENSORS / EW.
1 x Vehicle (NH TTR/TRR Pair) This should add the NH TTR/TRR Pairs to SENSORS / EW

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved)) 12 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

3 x Nike Hercules 4-Missile Lnchr Complex

Either
1 x Nike Hercules (Improved) IFC This adds HIPAR, LOPAR & TTR/TRR sensors and the MTR datalink.
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved)) 11 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

Weapons should read:

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved)) 10 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

Weapons should read:

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved)) 16 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved) Abv Gnd Homestead) 9 Launchers
(These were built for Improved Nike Hercules. There was no “Basic” version)

GENERAL DATA
3 x Nike Hercules Homestead Lnchr Complex
“1 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (1 on mount magazine)”

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved) Abv Gnd Alaska) 8 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

2 x Nike Hercules Alaska Lnchr Complex

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved) Abv Gnd Thule) 6 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

3 x Nike Hercules Thule Lnchr Complex
“1 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)” (2 on mount magazine)”
“0 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt) (2 on mount magazine)”

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:
9 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved) Abv Gnd Revt) 12 Launchers

GENERAL DATA
Area: 12800 square meters

2 x Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Conv)
“2 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional)”

2 x Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Nuclear)

2 x Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Mixed)

Either
or
1 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:
4 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt)

DOUBLE-IFC NIKE SITES

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved) CONUS Double Site) 16 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

Either
2 x Nike Hercules (Improved) IFC This adds HIPAR, LOPAR & TTR/TRR sensors and the MTR datalinks.
or
2 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)
2 x Vehicle (Nike HIPAR/ABAR) This should add 2 Nike HIPAR/ABARs to SENSORS / EW.
2 x Vehicle (NH TTR/TRR Pair) This should add the NH TTR/TRR Pairs to SENSORS / EW

Unit Weapons:

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved) CONUS Double Site) 22 Launchers

GENERAL DATA
Area: 1710 square meters

Either
2 x Nike Hercules (Improved) IFC This adds HIPAR, LOPAR & TTR/TRR sensors and the MTR datalinks.
or
2 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)
2 x Vehicle (Nike HIPAR/ABAR) This should add 2 Nike HIPAR/ABARs to SENSORS / EW.
2 x Vehicle (NH TTR/TRR Pair) This should add the NH TTR/TRR Pairs to SENSORS / EW

Unit Weapons:
24 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (20kt)

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved) Abv Gnd Alaska) 16 Launchers

GENERAL DATA

4 x Nike Nike Hercules Alaska Lnchr Complex

Either
or
2 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:
8 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (40kt)
12 x MIM-14B Nike Hercules (Conventional)

SAM Bty (Nike Hercules (Improved) Abv Gnd Revt Double Site) 24 Launchers

GENERAL DATA
Area: 25600 square meters

6 x Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Nuclear)

6 x Nike Hercules 2-Missile Revetment (Mixed)

Either
or
2 x Vehicle (Nike IFC)

Unit Weapons:

I wish we were done, but there are a couple of things about firing-order and reloading that need to be addressed:

As with Ajax, when a site went on alert, they loaded and elevated all of the launchers. Combat doctrine was to launch the missile closest to the elevator first (Advanced magazines had a launcher on the elevator itself. Because of the extreme climate, magazines at Thule each had 2 elevators with a launcher on each and no outriggers). As soon as it cleared the pad, the launch site crew would raise the next missile from the magazine, make the connections and elevate it to the firing angle. This procedure took roughly 2 minutes. If, during this time the fire control station needed to launch another missile, they would select the bird on the elevator/launcher of one of the other magazines. When the first magazine’s turn came around again, it again fired the bird on/near elevator and reloaded. This would continue until the magazine was empty, then they would fire the missiles on the outriggers.

This makes sense, if you think about it. The first missiles will be fired at maximum range, which makes for the longest flight time and thus gives the ground crew the most time to reload. As the commie hoards close the range, the flight time (and thus the time between shots) gets shorter. Depending on the closing speed and range of the missile (i.e. Ajax or Hercules), there comes a time when the crew does not have time to reload.

Currently (CWDB 467), CMANO launches from each of the 3 or 4 launchers of one mount, and then moves on to the next mount while the first mount reloads all of its launchers (rendering it unable to fire for 30-40 minutes under the old, erroneous 600-second ROF). This is not correct.

Earlier versions of the CWDB (426, for one) modeled reloading correctly, launching one missile from each mount/magazine and immediately reloading the one that just fired. However, the reload time was set to 600 seconds (10 minutes), by which time the engagement was usually over – with the SAM site having only launched 3 of its many missiles. With the reload time for these facilities set to 120 seconds, this isn’t a problem. Set the battery to launch one from each mount and reload immediately.

Another quirk I found under CWDB 467: I experimented with putting 1 conventional and 3 nuclear Hercules on the 4-launcher complex’s rails (and did this for all three mounts at a facility). Upon weapons release, it fired the Conventional round from the first mount. After that bird reached the target, it fired the second round (a nuke) from the same mount (in the erroneous process described above) and at the same time put the second & third mounts into a reload cycle to unload their Conventional round and load a nuke!

Instead, each mount should launch the highest-yield (40kt) weapon first and the lowest yield (Conventional) last. The reasoning is simple: You want the biggest boom farthest from the city being defended. In a nuclear attack, keep the conventional round as your hold-out for when the enemy is in knife-fighting range over the suburbs. However, as I mentioned earlier, the Conventional should be on one of the launch rails at the start in case nuclear release is not granted. There is no reason for it to be unloaded. Under the shoot-reload-shoot doctrine for each mount (with the reload set at 120 seconds), there will always be at least one launcher with the right bird loaded.

Thank you again for your time, patience & hard work!
Just because it's stupid, futile and doomed to failure, that doesn't mean some officer won't try it.
-- R. Rather
ComDev

RE: Nike Hercules Recommended Changes

Post by ComDev »

Wow, thanks [8D]

This will take a few to implement hehe.

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
Ping Jockey

Post by Ping Jockey »

Yeah, it's a data-bomb, I know. Much of the effort in the last few months has been simplifying and streamlining. That's why I took a modular approach:

Make/modify the records ---> Use the records to make/modify the mounts ---> Use the mounts to build the facilities.

Really, the Nike facilities are much simpler than your average cruiser or destroyer. Think how many variations we have of those. Like I said (with no exaggeration): Nike was as important to the Army in the '50s & '60s as Aegis was to the Navy in the '80s.
Just because it's stupid, futile and doomed to failure, that doesn't mean some officer won't try it.
-- R. Rather
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Very cool PJ Thanks for your efforts!

Mike
Demetrious

Post by Demetrious »

I have to say that's some incredible work, Ping Jockey. The research alone is impressive - a while back I tried to dig up info for the Nike Sprint system and I couldn't find anything, at least on the internet. But taking time to write out all the stat blocks, with consideration for nomenclature conventions, and the weapon records, is some truly devoted work. As someone who's wanted to play with the Nike systems more - thank you.
Scorpion86

Post by Scorpion86 »

Wow, now that's thoroughness!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”