I am SO going to regret doing this...

Hook up with worthy adversaries for PBEM and on-line play. Revel in your glorious victories and taunt wimpy losers.

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Rhodan

I am SO going to regret doing this...

Post by Rhodan »

Well...I heard the rumors about PBEM being so great so I offer myself as Offical Sarcifical Lamb. Now let's get this straight, as much as I love the WWII era my tactics are rusty ( which is short for: Medics had to carry the AI of the field after it nearly died of cramps in it's stomach due to it's laughter at my 'superior' tactics).

If anyone can give me a quick run down on the procedure I'd be more then willing to throw myself before their tracks. Somehow Acrobat Reader does not like my rig that much and the manual won't display.

oh and keep me out of the M4/Pussiecat count right now, I am too easy too pick apart.

Hmm..come to think of that, maybe I should use katz for the first few fights. From what I understand those german pussiecats are used as substitute for anyone lack real ba..uhm..spherical objects.

Can play in the evening/night (European Time) at a high pace.
Goblin

Re: I am SO going to regret doing this...

Post by Goblin »

Originally posted by Rhodan
From what I understand those german pussiecats are used as substitute for anyone lack real ba..uhm..spherical objects.
And the M4 is used as a substitute by anyone lacking a real tank.

:D

Goblin
Gary Tatro

Rohdan-Hey any relation to the godzilla Rohdan?

Post by Gary Tatro »

What you want to do is go into the game and then when the play screan comes up hit play by e-mail. From here it will bring you into the scenario list screen, if you are starting a game, go into preferences and set the points, air, and all your other preferences that you agreed to with your opponent. Now exit out of the preference screen and hit battle. This will bring you to the battle generator. Here you will change the year and month to the time period you want, and change the two countries you want, finally you can change the weather, visibility, and map size if you would like. You can also change the type of engagement but it defaults to a meeting engagment. Leave the map to random. Now click on the continue button and you go into the purchase screen and you can purchase your units. Also in the purchase screen will be able to view map and mission. View map will let you see the type of terrain you are going to be fighting on so that you can purchase accordingly. View mission gives you the length of the game and the visibility also important so that you can purchase accordingly. Once you have purchased all your troops, hit the done button now you will see two buttons pop up password and exit game. Hit the password button and enter in a password that you will remember. Once you have entered in your password you need to save the file in one of the slots from 2-12 these are the only PBEM slots. Give it a appropriate name like Rohdan-GE vs Gary-RU 1943 and then hit enter. This is important now. Wait a good ten seconds before you click out. This is due to the game saving very slowly you need to do this after every turn you play to let the game have time to save appropriatly. Quit out of the game.
Now open up a Winzip and name the file email3 or something similar that is discriptive to your opponent now go into the Matrixgames/SPWAW/email, change the listing to details so that you can see the end of the files. What you will be looking for is four email3(or the slot you saved the game in) files that have .AUX, .CMT, .DAT, & RMT. Zip these four, then attach the zipped file to an e-mail and e-mail it to your opponent. You are all done.
Now your oppoenent will open the file and purchase and set up then he/she will zip the files and send them back to you. Download the file and unzip it. You want to unzip it to the Matrixgames/SPWAW/email folder. Now enter the game, click on play email game, click on load, then click on the game file, then click start. It will ask you for your password, enter it in and then deploy your troops (stongly recommend not doing auto deploy). Plot prebombardment. Plot infiltrators. Plot Airborne drops. Plot Glory holes. Then exit out of the deployment and hit done with deploy. It will ask you again for your password enter it in. Now you will play your first turn. Once you have finished your turn, hit the end turn button. REMEMBER TO WAIT AT LEAST 10 SECOND SO THE GAME CAN SAVE PROPERLY. Now you need to zip your files and resend to your opponent. Repeat until victory or defeat. ENJOY
"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

Gary - Master of heavy text blocks. :D ;)

Nahh I'm just kidding...thanks for sparing me the effort. :cool:
Got StuG?
Gary Tatro

Ahh_Bel

Post by Gary Tatro »

Originally posted by Belisarius
Gary - Master of heavy text blocks. :D ;)

Nahh I'm just kidding...thanks for sparing me the effort. :cool:

Sorry I stole your thunder. :)
"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"
Belisarius

Re: Ahh_Bel

Post by Belisarius »

Originally posted by Gary Tatro
Sorry I stole your thunder. :)
That's not what I said. :D

It IS a good guide.... :p
Got StuG?
Rhodan

Post by Rhodan »

Hey thanks for going through that all Gary, very much appreciated. As for the Rhodan vs Godzilla thing, nope, I actually 'borrowed' the name from a German sci-fi character.

Ok, I think I can do this.
Rhodan

Post by Rhodan »

lol Goblin, touché
Jim1954

Post by Jim1954 »

Dear Sacrificial Lamb, Don't feel like you are alone when you get toasted (and you will). I was the lamb a couple of weeks ago, (was?..still am!!). Learn to measure you first encounters in survival, rather than victory. I look at it this way, I have reduced the battlefield visibility considerably by the smoke from my burning AFV's and thus have increased the probability of my infantry units survival considerably.

:D
Jim1954
KMC/T
Black Sabot

Post by Black Sabot »

All those replies and still no opponent...

Wanna try against another newbie? We could both avoid getting slaughtered while trying this PBEM thing.
Germany vs Russians, or maybe a post '45 USA vs Russia?

Perry Rhodan heb ik jaren geleden gelezen. Loopt die serie nog steeds?
I've done this a thousand times and never been hurt.
(much)
Rhodan

Post by Rhodan »

Kewl!

Let me know what options you have turned on/off, my preferences screen is a mess right now . Also, H2H somehow did not want to work on a copy of my folder so for the time being I am only capable of playing 7.1

En ja hoor, Perry Rhodan word nog steeds verkocht, hoewel ik na de 'rode' serie gestopt ben met kopen. Alles wat daarna kwam begon me allemaal een beetje te vaag te worden.
Black Sabot

Post by Black Sabot »

Allrrrighty:D
Preferences, let's see...
Everything on, except rarity, C&C and reduced ammo.
7.1 is ok, I haven't gotten round to H2H yet.
As for the other 'negotiables', the usual arrangement seems to be max 10% arty, no prelaid mines and max 2 air sections.

One more thing, I'd prefer a smallish battle, say 4000 points max, just to keep things manageable.

Rack 'em up;)
(much)
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

Reduced ammo OFF? :eek: Oh dear Lord, you guys are in for a Artillery Barrage-athon.... :p :D
Got StuG?
Teräspantteri

Nah...

Post by Teräspantteri »

Originally posted by Belisarius
Reduced ammo OFF? :eek: Oh dear Lord, you guys are in for a Artillery Barrage-athon.... :p :D

I'm sure they will have LIMITED ammo ON... :p
Black Sabot

Post by Black Sabot »

Uh, yes.
(much)
plloyd

Post by plloyd »

How about everything on, except possibly C&C? Meeting or Advance/Delay with random starts and vics. I have 7.1 and currently using the OOBs with the Apr02 date stamp.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.
Rhodan

Post by Rhodan »

Ok Sab what do you want to drive? Katz or Tee's?

Btw , is it possible to play multiple pbem games with different prefer settings? meaning does the game 'remeber' and re-adjust to the prefernce settings that were originally set for the game, or do I have to change the settings manually per session?
Rhodan

Post by Rhodan »

obh btw I am using what I believe to be the default oobs that came with the game? datestamp 25th march 2002 , is everyone playing with these or is there a place I need to go and get the latest version?

Sheesh this feels like the first day at kindergarthen all over again.
sandman20

Post by sandman20 »

Originally posted by Rhodan
obh btw I am using what I believe to be the default oobs that came with the game? datestamp 25th march 2002 , is everyone playing with these or is there a place I need to go and get the latest version?

Sheesh this feels like the first day at kindergarthen all over again.

Rhodan, here you can download OOB's released in January 2003. Most part of players are using them I think.:rolleyes:
Spwaw-OOB-Update-2003-01-31.zip
Rhodan

Post by Rhodan »

Ok, got it and installed them. Thanks sandman!

Return to “SP:WaW Opponents Wanted”