Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

RogerBacon

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by RogerBacon »

My God... It's full of stars

In the next update to the Bacon Mod, it will be possible to play more than 400 stars on a 4x4 map. Seen below is a 1000 star galaxy on a 4x4 map.
In vanilla DWU the maximum number of stars on a 4x4 is 400. It goes up by one notch on the star amount for each size increase of the galaxy.
The next version of Bacon Mod removes this limitation.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
Slategrey252

Post by Slategrey252 »

Much obliged. Thanks
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Awesome
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

And, what the heck, why not squeeze this in as well.
I should be able to get the next version out next Monday or so.

Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

Roger,

sorry I skimmed through the pages really really fast. Is there a video showing what your mod adds to DistantWorlds or anything of such to see your mod in action?

I'm interested, but would prefer to just watch your mod for now.
Kothyxaan

Post by Kothyxaan »

ORIGINAL: Blabsawaw22

Roger,

sorry I skimmed through the pages really really fast. Is there a video showing what your mod adds to DistantWorlds or anything of such to see your mod in action?

Best thing to do is download and read the readme file (it is not a big download). It lists the changes.
Basically it is a modded exe that adds a lot of good features to the game, you can use this with other mods (since its a modded exe). It does come with its own config (that you can have a look at and change to suit your preferences). There are also a couple of other files (based on the original game) that are there because of the changes made to the fighter bay (basically the AI still gets the 3 fighters, 3 bombers but the player needs to choose to build bomber or fighter bay). This will mean that any mod that adds fighter bays will need to be tinkered with by yourself (or just put up with all your fighters bays producing only fighters) which is very easy, seriously read the readme :)
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Kothyxaan
ORIGINAL: Blabsawaw22

Roger,

Best thing to do is download and read the readme file (it is not a big download). It lists the changes.
Basically it is a modded exe that adds a lot of good features to the game, you can use this with other mods (since its a modded exe). It does come with its own config (that you can have a look at and change to suit your preferences). There are also a couple of other files (based on the original game) that are there because of the changes made to the fighter bay (basically the AI still gets the 3 fighters, 3 bombers but the player needs to choose to build bomber or fighter bay). This will mean that any mod that adds fighter bays will need to be tinkered with by yourself (or just put up with all your fighters bays producing only fighters) which is very easy, seriously read the readme :)

Thanks Kothyxaan. It reminds me I really need to get around to making a proper readme. The one included in the mod was a halfhearted effort.
I did make one video showing the state-run passenger ships about a year ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u3ifDsJSPY&t=3s

Here's a short list of the mod's features. Most of which are optional

Gravity wells around stars
Adjustable hyperjump minimum distance and accuracy
Ability for more than one picture of each ship type for each ship family (Cruiser1.png, Cruiser2.png, etc.
Empires can build all ship types (Freighters, gas miners, etc). These are state ships for cost and upkeep.
Crew experience levels and kill stats tracking.
Fighter aces.
Civilian weapon limit expanded from 1 to 10.
Ship-Finder - a popup box to search for any ship, planet, or star by name.
Fleet Commands: Easily reinforce, combine, or disband fleets.
Assign freighters to a one-time cargo mission.
Higher monetary amounts in the diplomacy window so you don't have to click 100 times to trade something of high value.
Better font and background color on some screens for better readability.
A tweak so freighters will always try to fill up if their destination is a base or planet (not a mining station or minor base like that.)
Damage viewer to see a ships damaged components more easily.
Ship cycler: cycle forward and backward among all ships of the same type as currently selected ship.
Manual carriers: give orders for each carrier's fighter's target or even for each fighter if you really want to micromanage
Separate bomber and fighter bays (requires Baconworld folder files or a little manual work to merge with another mod)
new fighter options: range multiplier, monetary cost to build, construction time multiplier, and limited ammo (simulated).
Removal of some +/- 100 limits for custom race stats.
Shortcut to order more than one troop at a time. No more clicking the troop button 50 times after your invasion fleet picks up every troop on your capital.
Science Ships - Automated exploration ships with labs will work on research projects independently.
Integration with Bacon Stats Viewer.
Hotkeys to support most new features.
Custom start screen (coming tomorrow)
New Galaxy size "Bacon Big" with 2000 stars (coming tomorrow)
Fighter damage multiplier against bombers (coming tomorrow)

You can find the list of hotkeys on the first post in this thread.
So, yeah. I really need to make a proper manual.
vendayn

Post by vendayn »

Really looking forward to the bacon big galaxy :D that is a huge increase.

Also Starfall Corrected seems to work fine, I played a couple hours yesterday and no crashes with this mod and that one.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

Version 1.4 Released

Added Bigger galaxy size “Bacon Big” with 2000 stars.
Removed restriction on star count on smaller maps.
Added fighter damage multiplier against bombers. (optional)
Added support for custom start screens.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Dragnov

Still testing the gravity well - at first I loved it but then ran into the aforementioned supply chain issues. Freighters spend too much time slowboating around. Perhaps there is a way to increase their number? Which would also require decreasing their upkeep to balance things out?

Hi Dragnov,
One thing I forgot to mention (to everyone) that might be causing your supply issues is the freighter flee setting. By default it is set to "enemy sighted". I always change that to "when attacked" because sighting an enemy doesn't mean as much when its far away and has to approach at sublight speed. Your freighters may be turning and running at the first sight of an enemy that would never even reach them.

I suggest that all civilian designs be set to "when attacked" or one of the other conditions other than "enemy sighted".
Slategrey252

Post by Slategrey252 »

looking good so far :)
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

hey i was wondering, is it possible to modify what planets you can colonize? i seem to remember there being a bug that let you colonize asteroids at one point.

would you be able to enable colonization of gas giants or other similar inhospitable worlds?

you seem to be able to modify quite a lot more than is normally accessible so i was hoping you might know a way
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

hey i was wondering, is it possible to modify what planets you can colonize? i seem to remember there being a bug that let you colonize asteroids at one point.

would you be able to enable colonization of gas giants or other similar inhospitable worlds?

you seem to be able to modify quite a lot more than is normally accessible so i was hoping you might know a way

I'm curious why you would want to.
An asteroid colony would be so tiny that it would never be profitable. Even scaled down, the any bases you built there would dwarf the asteroid graphic.

A gas giant would have the other issue. It would be ther best place to build a colony because it would be able to hold billions and billions of people. There would be no reason to colonize anything other than gas giants.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

A gas giant cannot hold billions and billions of people because it has no surface. Floating cities in the clouds is the best you could accomplish.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

A gas giant cannot hold billions and billions of people because it has no surface. Floating cities in the clouds is the best you could accomplish.

Yes, I realize that. That's why they are not colonizable.
I was speaking from a game perspective. Gas giants have the maximum quality level (1.0 because it is the default value). They are also huge. Maximum population is some variant of quality level * size so in the game they would be able to hold many times what the best solid planet could hold. I was just pointing that out to adecoy95 and wondering what sort of game play he was envisioning with his question.
Kothyxaan

Post by Kothyxaan »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

Yes, I realize that. That's why they are not colonizable.
I was speaking from a game perspective. Gas giants have the maximum quality level (1.0 because it is the default value). They are also huge. Maximum population is some variant of quality level * size so in the game they would be able to hold many times what the best solid planet could hold. I was just pointing that out to adecoy95 and wondering what sort of game play he was envisioning with his question.
At the risk of being pedantic, it would all depend on the composition of the species involved [;)]
Beyondfubar

Post by Beyondfubar »

Made it 50 years in of short play to get my first (Non-repeatable!) crash. Things are looking great now! Thank Bacon!
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Beyondfubar

Made it 50 years in of short play to get my first (Non-repeatable!) crash. Things are looking great now! Thank Bacon!

You are welcome and I envy you. My game (with or without my mod) has always had crash issues when I try to save it. I always get a threading exception saying out of memory. It has nothing to do with system memory or memory the game is using (less than 1 GB usually).

I've tried everything to discover why it affects me and seemingly no one else but to no avail. It's caused me to quit playing for months at a time more than once over the years. I've tried try-catch blocks, increasing the memory allocated to the save game thread and many other things but nothing works. I can only dream of getting 50 years into a game.
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

I could see some mileage in gas giant and/or asteroid colonies. Asteroid colonies would likely gain you nothing in tax and you'd probably want to prevent colony facilities/wonders being constructed by default, but they could be useful as outposts for spreading your influence.

Gas giant colonies could be good as a late game source of "super" planets, it might also be fun to grant it early to a particular race via a race restricted tech, or even make races that could only colonise gas giants at the start.

I'm not sure how practical that would be to actually do though, I imagine it would be quite a lot of effort to actually make it work decently.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Instead of colonizing gas or barren worlds, I would much rather have a terraforming building. Not true terraforming, but increasing the quality.

Return to “Design and Modding”