Game Unhistorical In Operation Uranus

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

75Pak

Game Unhistorical In Operation Uranus

Post by 75Pak »

It is not possible to replicate Operation Uranus as the Soviet player and to have the two pincers meet at Kalatsch by the end of November 22 [end of turn 2]. There is no potential for this to actually happen regardless of what the Soviet player does.

Am I the only one with this problem?

A Romanian infantry "division" of 1500 men and 5 37mm AT guns should not be able to stand up to an assault by 8,000 Soviet infantry and 50 T-34s.
75Pak

RE: Game Unhistorical In Operation Uranus

Post by 75Pak »

To compound the issue, I end up encircling Stalingrad [pincers meet at Suvorovinko [sp?] and other pincers meet at Kalatsch] around the end of November 26 [end of turn 4].

The Axis bail on Stalingrad around November 30, I catch them in the open just west of Stalingrad [but still encircled] and I cut them all to pieces in the course of two turns.

It was somewhat disappointing how simple it wound up being. I was sort of hoping they would at least try to hold the city, organize a relief effort, supply the city by air, and then wait until the relief effort forces were nearby and then launch a break-out attempt to try to link up with the relief effort.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”