OT: Hurricane Irma

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

geofflambert

RE: OT: Hurricane Irma

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Hans, cats have been known for amazing feats of navigation:
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/19/one-cats-incredible-journey/?mcubz=3
http://www.funreports.com/fun/07-12-2004/1145-0

Bill

If a 3rd generation Monarch butterfly can find its way to a home last known by a great grand parent what is more amazing than that?

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Bill

If a 3rd generation Monarch butterfly can find its way to a home last known by a great grand parent what is more amazing than that?

Attachments
peanuts.jpg
peanuts.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 83 times

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Bill

Japan has 100 year home mortgages.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Austria just went to auction with a 100 year bond (akin to our Treasury Bills) that yields 2.1%. Madness.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Where can I buy those? How many can I buy with my collection of plastic beer glasses?

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Where can I buy those? How many can I buy with my collection of plastic beer glasses?
I have some green stamps. [:D]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Yuch! My mom made me lick about a million pages of those S&H things. I was permanently injured by that. Why else am I green with yellow eyes?

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Bill

Yes, that is amazing. Birds can have amazing navigation skills too.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I spent all day Saturday in my friend's neighborhood near Inverness searching for Jojo.
I must have hiked 6 miles walking the loop around his neighborhood over and over again calling her name.
I posted fliers and put one in every mailbox.
No one I talked to had seen her.
Across the street to the north from my friend's house is the neighborhood cat lady who currently feeds 8 strays.
She had not seen Jojo.
Jojo likely struck out to the south, headed for home across 90 miles of Florida wilderness.

I confirmed that the contact info on her microchip is up to date and alerted the monitoring company.
Having already alerted the animal services in each county between here and there, I'll now follow up to alert the SPCA and Humane Society shelters and the Friends of Strays organizations in each of those counties.

There is nothing more beyond that I can do beyond that and have to accept that the rest is in God's hands.

The grief and guilt are absolutely overwhelming.
I'm going to have a very hard time ever going back to my friend's place to stargaze again.
Hans

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I've read that after Katrina one of the lessons learned was a fair number of people stayed put because they were staying for their pets and one of the things emergency management changed in the states that get hurricanes was shelters needed to be able to take pets, and animal control needed to be more sensitive to your sort of situation. On the one hand, the animal shelters are probably flooded with reports of lost pets, but I've read they are putting in extra effort to reunite people with their lost pets. Because she's microchipped, that does mean if she ends up in the hands of any agency with a scanner, they will contact you.

Cats are the least domesticated animal humans keep and they do fare better in the wild than most other domestic animals. They can out-climb more would be predators, only another species of feline can match them in a vertical hunt.

I'm putting in my best thoughts that she gets home safely.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I spent all day Saturday in my friend's neighborhood near Inverness searching for Jojo.
I must have hiked 6 miles walking the loop around his neighborhood over and over again calling her name.
I posted fliers and put one in every mailbox.
No one I talked to had seen her.
Across the street to the north from my friend's house is the neighborhood cat lady who currently feeds 8 strays.
She had not seen Jojo.
Jojo likely struck out to the south, headed for home across 90 miles of Florida wilderness.

I confirmed that the contact info on her microchip is up to date and alerted the monitoring company.
Having already alerted the animal services in each county between here and there, I'll now follow up to alert the SPCA and Humane Society shelters and the Friends of Strays organizations in each of those counties.

There is nothing more beyond that I can do beyond that and have to accept that the rest is in God's hands.

The grief and guilt are absolutely overwhelming.
I'm going to have a very hard time ever going back to my friend's place to stargaze again.

Hans, I don't know what to say. If I had lost one of my cats, I don't know what I would do. A few years ago, when I moved out to Columbus, I was alone pretty much all of the time. But when my wife brought our 2 cats out to me they saved my life. I was depressed until then. The cats know when you need them nearby. I let my wife read your post and she had a tear in her eye. I hope for the best for Jojo and you....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Solar is legal in Florida, but the state requires people to be signed up to the local power utility and pay the monthly connection fee

It may well have changed (I don't live in FL), but the power company lobbyists had gotten the state to ban their use.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
Solar is legal in Florida, but the state requires people to be signed up to the local power utility and pay the monthly connection fee

It may well have changed (I don't live in FL), but the power company lobbyists had gotten the state to ban their use.

Do the orange farmers have to cover their trees with blankets if they don't have a permit? I guess it makes sense, after all they are producing juice.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Maria just before impacting PR.

Attachments
Recording9d.gif
Recording9d.gif (492.19 KiB) Viewed 82 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I'm hearing the anti-solar cops in Florida are referred to as S.P.A.R.K.s. That's Special Police Apple-polishers Receiving Kickbacks.

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

the power company lobbyists

Attachments
chomp_xm43.jpg
chomp_xm43.jpg (61.2 KiB) Viewed 82 times

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”