Over the Reich PC Avalon Hill 1996

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Red2112

Over the Reich PC Avalon Hill 1996

Post by Red2112 »

Hi,

I have been able to get a hold of this classic for PC, but since Iam on Windows 10 and this is from 1996 (Win 3,1 or Windows 95), I still remember those day´s!, I have no Idea how to get it to work. I have a ISO of the game.

I know there´s DOSBOX and other apps (emulators) but have no Idea how to use them. Although Iam pretty good with PC´s and software, when it comes to things like this Iam quite hard-headed! So any help is more then welcome on how to get it to work on W10!

A remainder [:)]...
Over the Reich

Thanks,

Red

DonCzirr

RE: Over the Reich PC Avalon Hill 1996

Post by DonCzirr »

When you buy from these guys - most of the time, they'll have config instructions that work.

http://www.old-games.com/download/4365/over-the-reich

I did not try this one in particular but was successful with other DOS box style games from this site.
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr

When you buy from these guys - most of the time, they'll have config instructions that work.

I did not try this one in particular but was successful with other DOS box style games from this site.
Over the Reich PC

Hi Don!

Thanks! I did see and know about old-games.com (Star Trek and others [;)]), never really bought anything from them but was/iam spectical to how to get them to work. Any how, I got it from archive.org. and it´s 648MB and not 19MB as shown in old-games which is wierd!

Downloading it from Old-Games aswell so I´ll see how that goes.

Once again, thanks Don for your help...

Care,

Red

rico21

Post by rico21 »

1- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18WpCDbXVQw in french.
2-Poweriso to burn cd.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: rico21

1- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18WpCDbXVQw in french.
2-Poweriso to burn cd.

Hi Rico,

Thanks! All well on this end. If you choose the free download (slower) from Old-Games, you get a zip file, un-zip and run exe as adimn, that´s all that´s needed, the game is already compiled to run on newer OS [:)] Time to look for Star Trek: Starfleet Command II over at old-game.com [:D]

You can mount ISO on windows 10 without any external app´s. Burn if needed...

Care,

Red
E

Post by E »

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: E

The original computer versions of Over the Reich and Achtung Spitfire are Windows 95 Games. Dosbox will not help.

(of course the boardgames that the computer games are based on, can still be had if all else fails!)

I don´t know how they did it but it works on W10. There is one side of the screen that´s blacked out but the rest is fine. See for your self if you like, download the free version which is the same as the paid sub (19.4MB) but slower bandwith (see left side of the download screen)...

Acthung Spitfire dosent have the same set-up file for some reason (old-games), I didn´t get it to work [:(]

E

Post by E »

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

I recently bought a boxed copy of Achtung Spitfire - i love it! playing it on the full rules settings makes for such thrilling games - just a 2 v3 dogfight alone has been a challenge i have been playing over and over to get right.

The game is windows 95, but you fortunately dont need to install it, just really copy over the game folder - though i did need the no-cd in order to avoid the cd rom issue - for some reason when i started it wouldnt recognise when i have the cd in the drive, i am not sure why, perhaps something different about cd rom drives nowadays.

the other option is to play it in windows 3.1, - which you can actually run through dosbox quite well and i believe there is also a premade ready to go dosbox with 3.1 program out there already, so you just run that and can even install through it - i have to do that for Battleground Ardennes and Second Conflict and Grey Wolf - some other oldies i enjoy from time to time
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Another good thing about this series is that you can port over your pilots from OtR to AS as in a tour of duty [:)]
http://www.old-games.com/download/4150/achtung-spitfire-

Some cool games over at Old-Games, I have subed for a month. The one I wished to get working is "Battle of Britain" (Talonsoft) by Gary G. It tells me its not a 64 bit application and can not install on this machine (W10).
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

I just tried it. Nope , can't play on your PC.
Shame.

I recommend The Grandest Fleet. Plays fine in dosbox.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

ORIGINAL: ezz

I just tried it. Nope , can't play on your PC.
Shame.

I recommend The Grandest Fleet. Plays fine in dosbox.
you couldnt get over the reich to work?

i do have teh disc of OtR also myself but thought i would just try the version at old games and it runs fine on my pc - though i have Windows 7 64bit still, i guess Windows 10 is a bit more of a challenge - it is though possible to also set up windows 95 to run through dosbox and then you can play windows 95 games that way,.

There is an ebay seller "Allvideo" who sells the original old games but accompanies them with with an install program that sets up games to run in windows 7,8 and 10 - i bought my copy of Over the Reich from him actually. the only thing is that he sells the cds/floppys and sometimes with their manuals but unfortunately rarely with their original boxes.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

I think he means "Battle of Britain". I can´t get it to work on W10. My OtR and AS from old-games work fine in W10.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

oh right, well i have a trick to get around the problem of games with old 8/16bit installers - it can work in alot of instances but not always -anyhoo - get a 32bit installer online, such as the ones here: http://toastytech.com/files/setup.html , and then just copy over the contents of the cd into a new folder, it doesnt really matter where the folder goes it seems, and then just replace the setup.exe with the 32bit one and then run it and then the game will install. I have done this for heaps of my old games to great success

sometimes though the installer has to go in a different spot (usually whereever the setup.dll file is, but just experiment around with it)
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

oh right, well i have a trick to get around the problem of games with old 8/16bit installers - it can work in alot of instances but not always -anyhoo - get a 32bit installer online, such as the ones here: http://toastytech.com/files/setup.html , and then just copy over the contents of the cd into a new folder, it doesnt really matter where the folder goes it seems, and then just replace the setup.exe with the 32bit one and then run it and then the game will install. I have done this for heaps of my old games to great success

sometimes though the installer has to go in a different spot (usually whereever the setup.dll file is, but just experiment around with it)

ALMOST! [:)] Ok, thanks! As I said....almost! The game install´s but when I want to run it a pop-up window opens with a "d3drm.dll file is missing". With the CD there´s a DirectX folder were I can find the "d3drm.dll" file, if I copy that to the installed BoB (Program Files/Talonsoft/BoB root folder, the "d3drm.dll" pop-up dosent show up any more but then I get a "error can not set screen mode" pop-up screen [:(]

Thanks so far Agathosaimon for your help, we almost got it going!

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

hmmm, sorry i wish i had windows 10 to work with (actually i did try the free upgrade with win 10 twice but on both occasions it was a buggy mess and caused so many program issues i downgraded as it was just easier than a full reinstall or something)

i am not sure what the "can not set screen mode" pop up means, but it sounds like something that would have a workaround

i wonder if it has anything to do with resolution? one thing i know is that both the games achtung spitfire and Over the Reich dont react so well to high screen resolutions - i have found that the games are best with desktop res set to 1024x768 - have tried tinkering with resolutions?

the other option may be to use DXwnd, it can be also useful for playing old games especially ones that are finicky about screen modes - it basically enables one to run the game in a window. It has alot of settings and such to play with -basically you start it then right click on its window and create a new entry and you just then play around with all the extra compatibility settings (and it has alot) and you just enter the path to the game exe etc. it also comes with some ready made profiles for many old games, so its another thing to possibly explore.

lastly if these all do not work then you can always go back to locking up how to run windows 95 in dosbox

or you can get a virtual environment like vmware player and run windows 95, or windows 98 or windows xp in it - vmware i used alot in the past, it was great for this also, best to use it for nothing too graphically intensive though i think
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

hmmm, sorry i wish i had windows 10 to work with (actually i did try the free upgrade with win 10 twice but on both occasions it was a buggy mess and caused so many program issues i downgraded as it was just easier than a full reinstall or something)

i am not sure what the "can not set screen mode" pop up means, but it sounds like something that would have a workaround

i wonder if it has anything to do with resolution? one thing i know is that both the games achtung spitfire and Over the Reich dont react so well to high screen resolutions - i have found that the games are best with desktop res set to 1024x768 - have tried tinkering with resolutions?

the other option may be to use DXwnd, it can be also useful for playing old games especially ones that are finicky about screen modes - it basically enables one to run the game in a window. It has alot of settings and such to play with -basically you start it then right click on its window and create a new entry and you just then play around with all the extra compatibility settings (and it has alot) and you just enter the path to the game exe etc. it also comes with some ready made profiles for many old games, so its another thing to possibly explore.

lastly if these all do not work then you can always go back to locking up how to run windows 95 in dosbox

or you can get a virtual environment like vmware player and run windows 95, or windows 98 or windows xp in it - vmware i used alot in the past, it was great for this also, best to use it for nothing too graphically intensive though i think

Did I tell you your MY HERO!!! [&o][&o][&o]

So many thanks![;)]

The "DXWnd" did the trick, you do need to have the ".mdf(.mds)" file mounted virtualy which you can do with a free version of "Alcohol 120%", which is the original source of that type of file. Spent some hour´s but worht it, or Iam just plain stubborn!

Now I just have to figure out how to get a higher resolution, or better said, a bigger screen so my old eyes can see the game [:D]

Proof [:)]
[center]Image[/img][/center]

[center]Image[/img][/center]

Again, many thanks Agathosdaimon! You made my day!

Care,

Red

Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

BoB patch v1.02...

https://www.fileplanet.com/60695/60000/fileinfo/Battle-of-Britain-Patch-v1.02

You need to place the downloaded patch (v1.02) in the game root folder, then run the patch.

Manual:
http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.2089
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

thats awesome - and i realise too that i forgot you were talking about BoB whereas i was going on about Over the Reich still! but it seems the same array of options helped!
E

Post by E »

Return to “General Discussion”