Extremely Frustrated With Login Process

Post bug reports and ask for support here.
RD_Knights_X

Extremely Frustrated With Login Process

Post by RD_Knights_X »

It has happened again tonight while trying to connect with player Hetser to play GtC! We're both in the lobby (usually I have to arrive first as I always host!). I initiate the host process and either one of two events occur (neither one of them are good); either I hear (the game saying) that we are connected, but my opponent apparently is not connected because he cannot click his ready button (it's not highlighted); or we do get connected but it takes several minutes to load (several meaning up to 10 minutes)a game file (transferring data between my computer and his). After getting connected and loading a game, my "Execute" button on the Srat Screen does not light up (showing that in fact we are not connected correctly). In the last two weeks, we have seen this "non-connection" or "slow connecting" situation three times!!! In my humble opinion, this appears to be a game server issue since we have (again in the last two weeks) successfully played on several occasions without delays.
PipFromSlitherine

RE: Extremely Frustrated With Login Process

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

Are you using a direct connection (that is, has the host opened ports on his router)?

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
RD_Knights_X

Post by RD_Knights_X »

Ok, let me restate the COMPLAINT....because that is what this post is all about, a complaint about how opponents get connected to each other (or, to be more specific, do not get connected). What I implied, but failed to say explicitly, is that 3 times in 2 weeks the non-connection or slow data transfer occurred even though we had successfully played twice as many games during that same 2 week period. So, there shouldn't be a problem with opening ports, etc. since the game operated as it is supposed to 6 out of 9 times. I'm just wondering how many other people have experienced the same issue! And, we are not going through Steam either. This is an issue only with the Matrix opponent connection process, i.e. your game server.
PipFromSlitherine

I understand you are having issues with data transfer, but you did not answer my question. The server is working as far as we can tell, but it could be any element in the connection between the machines and the server. KNowing if you are transferring data directly or via the server is part of trying to help.

Cheers

Pip
RD_Knights_X

Post by RD_Knights_X »

Hmm, sorry for misunderstanding your reply/question. As host, I invited my opponent to play while we were both in the lobby. Is this what you mean? Otherwise, I'm uncertain how you are differentiating between "transferring data directly" and "via the server." I was under the impression that because my opponent and I are connecting through the game lobby, we were going through a game server. My mistake if I'm misunderstanding the terminology.
PipFromSlitherine

There should be a message when you (IIRC) start the game which tells you whether you are using a direct connection or connecting via the server.

Cheers

Pip
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

After one player offers a game and the other accepts, check the top right side of the multi-player screen. It will say "LOBBY CONNECTION" or "DIRECTION CONNECTION" to indicate which you have established. Direct connection means your two machines are communicating directly to one another (the fastest way.) Lobby connection means something (router, firewall, etc.) blocked the game from establishing a direct connection from the joiner to the host so the communication is being relayed through the lobby server.

In order to establish a direct connection the host player will have to have their system set up to receive incoming connections (though router, firewall, etc.) on port 1944 and, assuming you're behind a router, have them routed to the correct machine on your internal network.

Steve

Return to “Tech Support”