Is a Multi-multi game possible?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

GreyWolf16

Is a Multi-multi game possible?

Post by GreyWolf16 »

We're going to try with three guys like this:

Player A = Axis
Player B = Allies (except Russia)
Player C = Russia

So let's say I'm player B.

1 - I make my moves as Britain, France and USA etc. and then send the save game file to C (Russia).
2 - C (Russia) makes his moves and ends the turn and sends the saved file on to A (Germany).
3 - Axis makes his moves, ends the turn and sends the save game files to both A and B.
4 - Me (B) watches the result of the Axis turn, make my moves and send the save game to C (Russia).
5 - C (Russia) now has 2 saved game files. He opens the ones sent directly from the Axis so that he can view the results from last week.
6 - Finally Russia open the file sent from me (his allies) and plays his moves before sending it back to A (Germany).

Rinse and repeat. This enables all 3 players to see all moves and results.
What do you think? Has anyone tried this?

James Taylor

RE: Is a Multi-multi game possible?

Post by James Taylor »

Run the game in Hotseat, saving and passing around the Hotseat file and don't use passwords, so you'll need a trustworthy group.
SeaMonkey
GreyWolf16

Post by GreyWolf16 »

Ah yes. Thanks for the tip Seamonkey. I'll try that. The tricky part is making sure that each side gets to see the combat result from 'last week'. The Allies only get to open one file to start a new week showing the Axis moves. I'm going to set up a game by myself and play all; 3 sides to see if this works ok.
FriendlyKomissar

Post by FriendlyKomissar »

I'd be interested in joining this. Yes you can also use a password but only share it amongst the same team
Wisely keeping out of Comrade Stalin's way.
nnason

Post by nnason »

Seems like this would be easy to set up on the server so we didn't have to mess around with a klugey methods to do multi-multi-player.
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
GreyWolf16

Post by GreyWolf16 »

So the consensus is that a passed around file ion hotseat might work but true server based multiplayer would not... I'm glad folks are interested in this. I'm going to try with two friends and I'll let ya'll know here if it works out.
GreyWolf16

Post by GreyWolf16 »

If this works I'm going to move to the entire war using Pacific War : Admirals Edition. This could involve multiple payers and maybe some house rules which would allow axis or allies to send more or less resources to one side or the other. In other words if Macarthur gets greedy again and uses a setting advantage the Allies would have to give up one advantage in Europe. (I believe both games can be 'adjusted' mid campaign.)
nnason

Post by nnason »

So how did it work out?
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

It`s already mentioned, but here: http://www.si-games.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29459&page=24&p=1107152#post1107152

you might see that they`re managing to change dats via dropbox and playing with seperate human commanders, allthough I don`t know the details.
nnason

Post by nnason »

thanks Sugar.
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

The famous HvS, who is the author of the AAR, is also active in this forum under the same name.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”