At which point should USSR change over from research to production?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.
GeneralJackDRipper

RE: At which point should USSR change over from research to production?

Post by GeneralJackDRipper »

Yes apologies, formatting tripped me up there.

James Taylor, it doesn't take Fire and Rain to destroy a garrison.

No, they don't just disappear, but I don't believe you get enough of a benefit in slowing down the Germans for their cost, even for as cheap as they are. I'd much rather have my research cranking away for the first several turns than station Garrisons that will get wiped out in 1-2 turns by German corps units. They're not even worth the attention from the German Armies/Armor -- I would likely send them right past, knowing my opponent's tech is behind and the garrisons won't hold out for more than a turn with minimal attention.

Garrisons will also provide great opportunity to provide easy experience to German units as they get mopped up, allowing Germans to reinforce select units to Elite levels, if desired.

I'm sorry but I couldn't figure out what CTV stood for. I'm also always willing to learn more about the game so if I've underestimated the garrison units, please enlighten me!

ORIGINAL: James Taylor

No prayer, GJDR? So they just melt away in the face of the Germans, not even requiring an attack?

Have you ever examined the CTVs of garrisons vs corps, soft and hard defense?
The Garrisons don't have a prayer of even slowing down the German advance. I think they're a waste of your resources, frankly. Corps are the cheapest, minimally useful unit. The only use I've found for garrison units is plugging Partisan hotspots when playing as the Germans. They're useless in nearly all other circumstances.
“I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.”
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

A fair point about the experience accumulation, but experience is easily eroded, especially later under low supply conditions.

CTV = combat target value. Look at the hard defense of garrison vs corps, it is 1. That is what they use as a defense against infantry attack, the same for both.

Further, the corps has 0 for tank defense, while a garrison has 1, that's what they use against a Panzer attack.

Now, knowing that the Red Army is going to be on the defense early in the game, the corps attack values(which are greater than garrisons) will be of little value until the USSR makes the transition to the offensive. So, which one gives you the most "bang for the buck"?

There are some other useful purposes for garrisons later in the game when things get a little more spread out, but early, they're great speed bumps.
SeaMonkey
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

Ohh, and GJDR, they don't get wiped out in one or two turns. They're like the energizer bunny, they keep going and coming as they are cycled through the build Q at lower cost than they were first bought at.[:)]
SeaMonkey
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Garrisons do only have max 5 Strength (unless have experience and elite reinforcements), which makes them considerably more vulnerable
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Btw do Garrisons and Corps always use hard defense versus Infantry (and Mech - or do they count as Light Tank?) or does it depend on terrain (e.g. whether in a town/city/forest)? This side of things is a bit opaque to me - where can I find this information?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
GeneralJackDRipper

A fair point about the experience accumulation, but experience is easily eroded, especially later under low supply conditions.

CTV = combat target value. Look at the hard defense of garrison vs corps, it is 1. That is what they use as a defense against infantry attack, the same for both.

Further, the corps has 0 for tank defense, while a garrison has 1, that's what they use against a Panzer attack.

Now, knowing that the Red Army is going to be on the defense early in the game, the corps attack values(which are greater than garrisons) will be of little value until the USSR makes the transition to the offensive. So, which one gives you the most "bang for the buck"?

There are some other useful purposes for garrisons later in the game when things get a little more spread out, but early, they're great speed bumps.

Interesting information about the CTV and tank defense. Though that really just confirms my strategy of blowing by them with my panzers and letting my corps clean them up once they're in low supply so they can't be rebuilt faster/cheaper.

Also aren't the benefits in CTV for the garrisons over the corps units mitigated by their halved strength values of 5 (6 in some cases) versus 10 for corps? So corps units should be able to last a few turns longer than a Garrison unit, thereby providing a "better speedbump".

I could be convinced to save corps units until the Soviets can begin their counter-offensive, but I think their first priority should be to slow the German advance.

I would be interested in playing against a "Garrison defense" to see how effective it is first-hand. Any interest in a PBEM game?
“I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.”
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

Not what I would consider as a "Garrison defense" as other units are basically the front holders, garrisons are just kind of a filler.

I'm a bit busy with games right now and hurricane damage, but later, when things kind of gel more with SC, I'll be up for a game if you wish.

I usually play within my little group so I don't have much time for outside endeavors.

It was just a comment to catalyze a little thought, an opinion of what has worked in the past and you know what they're worth (opinions, that is).[;)]
SeaMonkey
GeneralJackDRipper

Not what I would consider as a "Garrison defense" as other units are basically the front holders, garrisons are just kind of a filler.

I'm a bit busy with games right now and hurricane damage, but later, when things kind of gel more with SC, I'll be up for a game if you wish.

I usually play within my little group so I don't have much time for outside endeavors.

It was just a comment to catalyze a little thought, an opinion of what has worked in the past and you know what they're worth (opinions, that is).[;)]

Sorry to hear you got hit by the hurricane. Hopefully you and yours got out safe! Best of luck with the cleanup.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

I hope the damage wasn't too bad and you can get it fixed quickly. [:)]

Bill
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

ORIGINAL: oxford_guy

Btw do Garrisons and Corps always use hard defense versus Infantry (and Mech - or do they count as Light Tank?) or does it depend on terrain (e.g. whether in a town/city/forest)? This side of things is a bit opaque to me - where can I find this information?

Hi

All units when attacked use their defense value that is the same as the attacker's target type, without exception.

So if attacked by a Hard unit, they will use their Hard defense value.

Bill
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre
ORIGINAL: oxford_guy

Hi

All units when attacked use their defense value that is the same as the attacker's target type, without exception.

So if attacked by a Hard unit, they will use their Hard defense value.

Bill

Okay - and most non-support land units are "Hard", right? BTW what does Mech Infantry attack as? What about Recon, Armoured Train etc.?
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

Check out the units' types in the build Q, recon is I think soft and AT is light armoured.

Thanks for the well wishes guys, I was lucky, some structural damage, but moisture has not intruded. Have electricity and creature comforts, there's just a gigantic mess to clean up and in 90-90 conditions(temp & humidity) its slow going.
SeaMonkey
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Check out the units' types in the build Q, recon is I think soft and AT is light armoured.

Yes, you're correct, also as well as Armoured Trains, Mech Infantry and Anti-Tank also attacks as "Light Armour"
Thanks for the well wishes guys, I was lucky, some structural damage, but moisture has not intruded. Have electricity and creature comforts, there's just a gigantic mess to clean up and in 90-90 conditions(temp & humidity) its slow going.

Glad to hear that you weren't inundated!

Return to “The War Room”