Islands of Destiny: RA 5.0 Japanese Side

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: December 1944

Post by Lowpe »

No matter how well you trash Allied naval commanders in the early game, they always command the SAG...because, you know they are a 90 naval skill...ad infinitum for leaders of all flavors.

If you are racking up a 1000 vp a day bombing Honshu to dust, then sacrificing those bombers in backwaters makes a lot of sense especially if it pulls off 3 front line fighter Sentais.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait
The whole "he would be fired" thing is kind of ridiculous really. Should John have had to commit seppuku when he got a bunch of carriers sunk out in the Pacific for no meaningful return?

Of course he should have. That's the sort of realism I'm looking for in John's games. [;)]

As to whether it's 'ridiculous' to keep in mind historical outrages and hemorrhagic losses? Particularly those that are preventable? Nope. Consider the public furor after Tarawa's Betio assault barely came off. And that was with a fraction of some of the game losses of Sumatra alone. Let alone Sulawesi. Let alone...etc. etc.

John's had some real boners in the game. So has Dan. But the surfeit of arms at Dan's disposal will patch that over. He will 'win' sometime in 1945. John won't. Thus two players that played with a number of mistakes. One will be 'forgiven' in the outcome of the game. One won't.

It's up to others to determine who 'won'. One of the factors that I consider is the Allied approach and reaction to repeated ahistoric losses. Are they sickened by their oversight and their concern for their fallen pixeltruppen? Or do they shrug their shoulders, gin up some rationale for why this was a pyrrhic victory for the enemy (at best) and dump more of the Allied forces into the grinder because...well, because 'they can'? Such divorce from any semblance of realism can, should and does impact my view of the performance of other players. How could it not?

Of course, your deliberations upon what you think constitutes good play may vary from mine. You're entitled to your opinion.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Or do they shrug their shoulders, gin up some rationale for why this was a pyrrhic victory for the enemy (at best) and dump more of the Allied forces into the grinder because...well, because 'they can'? Such divorce from any semblance of realism can, should and does impact my view of the performance of other players. How could it not?

Denial, just not a river in Egypt.

I remember, Jocke losing a dozen or so baby carriers in an invasion of Moppo against Obvert. The troops got ashore along with the supply. According to Jocke it was an overwhelming victory.

Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Should John have had to commit seppuku when he got a bunch of carriers sunk out in the Pacific for no meaningful return?
Why do you think he is John 3rd ? Eh ?

Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
Or do they shrug their shoulders, gin up some rationale for why this was a pyrrhic victory for the enemy (at best) and dump more of the Allied forces into the grinder because...well, because 'they can'? Such divorce from any semblance of realism can, should and does impact my view of the performance of other players. How could it not?

Denial, just not a river in Egypt.

I remember, Jocke losing a dozen or so baby carriers in an invasion of Moppo against Obvert. The troops got ashore along with the supply. According to Jocke it was an overwhelming victory.

Yes in RL heads would rolling.

On the contrary Japan is also not burdened with political bickering.
I never had to ask the Tenno.
Army and Navy work together as one.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin
Why do you think he is John 3rd ? Eh ?
[:D]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Are we watching the same game, Grafin? [;)]
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Touché [:)]

Panther Bait

Post by Panther Bait »

Touché [:)]

Maybe they don't work together, but at least they don't actively work against each other.

And on the whole "good play, bad play", I don't disagree that both players made mistakes, just the whole "he" would have been fired. Which "he" Dan the President of the US, Dan the Prime Minister of England, Dan the head of the JCS, Dan the CNO, Dan the CINCPAC, Dan CINCSWPAC, etc. Maybe each of them should cut off a small body part (tip of a finger or something), each time one of their individual sub-identities fails spectacularly. [:D]

Mike
When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Maybe each of them should cut off a small body part (tip of a finger or something), each time one of their individual sub-identities fails spectacularly. [:D]

I totally agree.

John: Start cuttin', stumpy. [;)]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

It is time to tell the truth.

This is John's wife. He was found downstairs in the Man Cave with a sword in his hands. Kept muttering something about 'six wasted months of game time juggling three games, turning into a failure, and losing THE FIGHT.' He's been in an asylum ever since and I have played the game for him...

Don't let Dan know...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

John's wife,

We've seen John like this in the past. We're sure that you have too. No need to explain. In your experience, how long does it take for him to emerge from his persistent vegetative state? Also, what carpet cleaner do you recommend for the festoons of drool from his trembling mouth?

Poke him with a stick for us and tell him that the Emperor requires his presence at a 'meeting'. Duty will require his attendance. Maybe give him some fish head soup and rice for strength. Hide all sharp things.

Lastly, thank you for telling us the truth about the game. Even though you are a comparative novice, it seems as though you are performing at least as well as John. [;)]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Doesn't take much!

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

It is time to tell the truth.

This is John's wife. He was found downstairs in the Man Cave with a sword in his hands. Kept muttering something about 'six wasted months of game time juggling three games, turning into a failure, and losing THE FIGHT.' He's been in an asylum ever since and I have played the game for him...

Don't let Dan know...

Don't feel bad. You are doing a much better job than he ever did.....[:D]

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

He couldn't do much worse!

Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Pics from your boobies please.

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

You might want to rethink that.[;)]
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Damit why cant I make a sexist joke without backfiring [:(]

Thats ...thats sexist *nods*

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Damit why cant I make a sexist joke without backfiring [:(]

Thats ...thats sexist *nods*

You should have asked for a pm. Some of us eat and drink while reading the forum...and once seen, can't be unseen. I guess it is Friday night where you are, so perhaps with some adult beverages it is fair game?
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Always trust someone to go a BRIDGE TOO FAR! Grafin, probably, doesn't want a picture of a somewhat insane 51 year-old man's boobies.

I mean---unless you WANT TO...

Return to “After Action Reports”