What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Orm

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

Post by Orm »

Watched The Big Short and it was indeed a good film.

Thank you for the recommendation. [&o] [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Warspite needs to watch Pulp Fiction again.
warspite1

For ****** ****'s sake, shut the **** up Zorch, or I'll ****** slit you up a treat.
That's the spirit! Samuel L would be proud of you.

When we had wee ones, we appreciated the Samuel L. Jackson narrated version of the book "Go the f*** to sleep". Perfect for parents that had been there and done that. [8D]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Glad you liked it. [:)]

I thought some scenes were laugh out loud funny. Like Margot Robbie explaining CDO derivatives and subprime mortgages in a bubble bath. [:D]

I also nicked the phrase "Dog **** wrapped in cat ****" to describe something particularly worthless.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Orm

Glad you liked it. [:)]

I thought some scenes were laugh out loud funny. Like Margot Robbie explaining CDO derivatives and subprime mortgages in a bubble bath. [:D]
warspite1

Just seen this on You Tube. Great idea! Only problem was they used too many bubbles in the bath.....

.....I really want to see this film [:@]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Bubble bath, boobs, booty. haha, yuckity yuck, Fuuuunieieiie.

Eak, egads!!. Say the magic word, eak, "wall street" egads, and here they come, come a marchin', marchin', the sound of marching boots, here they come again. The Moronski Brigade.

They be cool. They be cool. They be smart, so cool. so smart.

Hollywierd told 'em. Must be true.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Another potentially good TV drama on Monday. Liar with the always watchable Joanne Froggatt.

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

YouTube is full of documentaries on just about any era. It also has old episodes of "Combat" and "Rat Patrol" I'm watching. I was a kid when "Combat" was a series. My dad watched it a lot but I wasn't into army men at that time. When I got my first bag of 100 army men thas when I got into wargaming with plastic minatures.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Another potentially good TV drama on Monday. Liar with the always watchable Joanne Froggatt.
warspite1

And very good it was too. Good script, well acted - definitely worth hanging around to see more.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Not sure how long I will continue with Tin Star. Is no one else watching this?

Episode 2 was a real mish-mash of well worn cliche scenes and some strange goings on with a gang of baddies that was really poorly scripted [:(]

Not quirky - just all a bit poor really [:(]

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

YouTube is a great source for old movies about war.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

An interesting docu-drama:

Manhunt: Unabomber
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Sully Spoiler Alert

I watched Sully. A largely watchable film with Mr ever-reliable Tom Hanks in the lead role as Chesley Sullenberger, the pilot that landed an Airbus A320 on the Potomac after a bird strike took out both engines.

The end though was truly embarrassing. The NTSB investigators were depicted throughout as seemingly having an agenda to expose Sully for making the wrong decision. This is disputed (not least by Sully himself) but I guess was used to give the film a good guy/bad guy angle.

One can argue whether that was the right thing to do (Sully apparently insisted the investigators names were changed which at least avoided the Titanic treatment). But regardless, the final scene was farcical.

The way Sully won the argument over the 'human vs computer models' was excellent, but then the bit about the engine 'suddenly' being found and proving Sully's version of events was just plain silly, as was the Damascene change in behaviour of the NTSB officials who suddenly acted like naughty school children who had been found with their fingers in the biscuit tin.

berto

Post by berto »

The Vietnam War.

Of course.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: berto

The Vietnam War.

Of course.
Yes, of course. [:)]
I've just begun to watch it, and I do feel that this is going to be one of the usual outstanding Ken Burns documentaries.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

The Vietnam War.

Of course.
Yes, of course. [:)]
I've just begun to watch it, and I do feel that this is going to be one of the usual outstanding Ken Burns documentaries.

I've been intrigued, but am wary of starting another Vietnam-era documentary series that spends as much time on the home front politics as it does the prosecution of the war and the fighting. I enjoyed, for the most part, Vietnam: The 10,000 day War (aired 1984-1985). But I found its repeated focus on the political aspects of the war (particularly later in the series) to not be what I was looking for. Perhaps this is because it was produced by a Canadian and a Canadian television organization?

Does this documentary suggest that 1968 Tet was a military disaster for the VC and that they were effectively gutted after this series of military failures or does it proclaim that this was 'the beginning of the end' of the war? Does it focus on how the NVA came into prominence because of the destruction of the VC or does it focus on the riots at home and Cronkite's infamous commentary about how the war was 'unwinnable'? It sounds picayune or like my hindsight is self-serving, but I've found that this focus really affects the relative viewpoint of the success of the war effort. "Unheralded Victory" is one of my favorite books on the war, as it spends essentially *all* its effort examining the fighting, the war effort and the unheralded successes in the field that were, unfortunately, unreported.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

@Chickenboy
It's an 18 hour documentary and I've only watched the first 30 minutes or so, so I can't tell much by now. :)
I expect that we will be listening to a lot of interviews and hear a lot of different personal perspectives.
In this regard I expect it to be very different from the other two previous documentaries I've seen from him, The Civil War and The War, as most of the testimonies were in written form.
Still think that it should be a worthwhile effort for you to watch it, regardless if it will focus in those aspects that you are more interested or not.
In my opinion Ken Burns is the best American documentary maker... well Errol Morris documentaries are also quite interesting.

I remember to have watched some of the episodes of Vietnam: The 10,000 day War in the Portuguese public broadcast TV in the 80's. I don't remember much about it, only that it seemed quite comprehensive. It has been on my mind to get a copy of it.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus
In my opinion Ken Burns is the best American documentary maker...

I agree. I can't think of a better one out there now. Loved his treatment of the Civil War. His WWII documentary was also nicely done. Possibly not as definitive as the ACW one, but certainly worth watching. He gets the benefit of the doubt from me. Now, Oliver Stone on the other hand...[8|]
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

The problem with Oliver Stone is that he has his own political agenda, he's never unbiased...
Although, I really like his Nixon movie.

BTW,I also find Last Days in Vietnam a good and worthwhile watching documentary.
berto

Post by berto »

I had planned to pass up The Vietnam War, anticipating overwhelming bias. Then I saw some pre-release interviews and reviews that reassured me somewhat. Four evenings and seven hours into it (out of ten evenings and eighteen hours in total [X(], half this week, half next week), I can see the spin and the slant (no pun intended). Thus far it is fairly even handed, not too bad. Will it remain so all the way to the end?
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I had planned to pass up The Vietnam War, anticipating overwhelming bias. Then I saw some pre-release interviews and reviews that reassured me somewhat. Four evenings and seven hours into it (out of ten evenings and eighteen hours in total [X(], half this week, half next week), I can see the spin and the slant (no pun intended). Thus far it is fairly even handed, not too bad. Will it remain so all the way to the end?

Thanks for the follow up berto. This is helpful. Would you mind reporting back when you're done with the series?

Return to “General Discussion”