Price?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
morphin

Price?

Post by morphin »

Any information about the price?

I did a search but no information found...

Andy
elmo3

RE: Price?

Post by elmo3 »

They don't announce the price before launch.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
morphin

Post by morphin »

Speculations are now open [:D]

I think that the price could be higher then TOAW III....
(It seems that the developper invest quite a lot of time for both game mechanics and graphics)

wodin

Post by wodin »

Considering the scope it will be at the higher end, however as its not been built from scratch like say Command Naval/Air game or Gary Grigsby game it may not be as expensive as those.

Still even if it is top end you get an awful lot for your money. You certainly not see a game covering the s ope this does made again.
Judykator

Post by Judykator »

maybe a discount for the holders The Operational Art of War III ?
Sorry for my English. It is not the best.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I don't care about the naval aspect, so there's really not much there. A ton of work for the developers, but the equivalent of a large patch or update or expansion for a regular game. So having TOAW 3 working fine, I am not paying $40+ for an update. This is not a brand new game, folks.

What they should do is offer owners of TOAW3 a discount, and brand new owners should pay full price as they are getting a brand new game.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Judykator

maybe a discount for the holders The Operational Art of War III ?

This has already been answered no in another thread.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Then I will definitely reserve judgement and study the effects of time stamp and other changes before buying.

Players new to the game would be "crazy" not to grab it. Others where money is no object will grab it...because they can and to support the devs.

At least we won't see it discounted on Steam three months after we purchase it for full price ;)
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Then I will definitely reserve judgement and study the effects of time stamp and other changes before buying.

Players new to the game would be "crazy" not to grab it. Others where money is no object will grab it...because they can and to support the devs.

At least we won't see it discounted on Steam three months after we purchase it for full price ;)

Well, Christmas is getting closer.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Believe me, once I see some of the new features, it will be tough to say "no." But I need to break this addiction [;)]

BTW, there is a very low priced and fairly in-depth game on Steam from HexWar (believe it or not) called Battles of the Ancient World. It is also text moddable - a first for a Hexwar PC game, I think.

ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

You need to take into account the countless hours of fun.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

If it's under $100 I cannot imagine TOAW IV not being worth it. I owned and played TOAW, TOAW II, and TOAW III but I am not entitled enough to think that I somehow deserve a discount for that.

I'm just happy that there will be a TOAW IV!
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Money is no object for a game like this.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I wouldn't go that far, only because TOAW3 is completely functional with hundreds of scenarios. They made the correct move on Fields of Glory 2 pricing, so personally cannot justify paying another $40+ for this update, if that is going to be the price range.

However, due to the seemingly large and loyal fan base, they might be able to swing a higher price and do okay.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

I wouldn't go that far, only because TOAW3 is completely functional with hundreds of scenarios. They made the correct move on Fields of Glory 2 pricing, so personally cannot justify paying another $40+ for this update, if that is going to be the price range.

However, due to the seemingly large and loyal fan base, they might be able to swing a higher price and do okay.

This is a game made at the turn of the century with some new paint slapped on. That's all. Everything else is the same. They replaced some bad spark plugs so the engine runs better. Many of the doodads were supposed to be part of a free 3.5 patch. But $40? I hope not.

76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Lobster
This is a game made at the turn of the century with some new paint slapped on. That's all. Everything else is the same. They replaced some bad spark plugs so the engine runs better. Many of the doodads were supposed to be part of a free 3.5 patch. But $40? I hope not.
Have to agree with this, unless there is a significant discount for those who have already paid full price for the last three versions of TAOW...
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Only last version i.e. III was owned by Matrix, no? Would be hard to apply a discount on purchases out of the Matrix store. [:)]
Myself, I would bet for around 30$ same kind of price than Strategic Command.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e
Only last version i.e. III was owned by Matrix, no? Would be hard to apply a discount on purchases out of the Matrix store.
Maybe, but all I know is that I've bought basically the same game (with incremental improvements) three times. Fourth times the charm?
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Sadly game developers/publishers are all going the baby step route. You need look no farther than the games put out by Paradox. The rest of the industry is doing the same. Battlefront is downright disheartening. The first game was a Normandy game. Then came the Med campaign and v2 engine which you had to buy for Normandy. Then came the East Front game with version 3 that you had to get for Normandy and the Med game individually. Then came Final Blitzkrieg and v4 which you had to buy individually for each of the first three games. So if you were fool enough you would have paid for the four main games plus seven, yes seven, upgrades for the other games to keep it all up to date. I bailed after the second upgrade. Screw that crap. They can keep their bloody games. If Battlefront comes out with yet another version you will then have to buy four upgrades to keep all of the other games up to date. The only way to stop that is to not buy their games. Fat chance anyone will do that. And that doesn't count all of the 'Battle Packs' they've pushed out. And if they come out with a sequel to Black Sea there will be an update for Black Sea that you will have to buy to keep IT up to date. It's all very depressing.

Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Okay I'm going to have to respectfully withdraw this comment. Because of some late modifications to the game it has now changed to the point that it will be a different game and it will have to be played in ways that have changed considerably. My apologies.

I still hope it's under $40 [:D]

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”