The destroyed aircrafts

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Stealth2017

The destroyed aircrafts

Post by Stealth2017 »

Hi,

I would like to know how it is possible to get 50 points for destroying the enemy aircrafts even though there has not been any action, I do get this message randomly???

Thanks in advance
thewood1

RE: The destroyed aircrafts

Post by thewood1 »

I don't think there is any way to answer your question without at least knowing the scenario you are playing, at a minimum.

Generally:

1) Points are set by the scenario designer.
2) In the Game options menu, you can turn off certain types of messages like general scenario information. That will keep scoring information from coming in through the message log. Most of the Game options are game-wide and scenario authors can't control those settings. Only a player can do that.
Stealth2017

Post by Stealth2017 »

Right now I am playing "Hail Mary" scenario, I just do not understand how I get the points knowing that I have not fired any missile.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I don't know the scenario well, but if you are getting points without shooting down aircraft yourself, one of a few things can be happening...

1) An ally is shooting them down
2) The aircraft are crashing on their own...running out of fuel, etc.
3) A Lua code is firing that doing something to give you credit.

My guess is #2 is most likely, but the designer, who I think is Gunner98 maybe, would have to say. It would be good if you could post the log file. Another thing you can do is go into the editor and switch sides to see what killed the aircraft. Or if you post the save, someone can do that for you.

For future reference, its helpful to the helpers if you can name the scenario you are playing, the version of Command, and a save around the situation.
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

Stealth2017,

I've had the same thing happen and believe, as thewood1 said, that 1 and 2 are the most likely cause. If points are being given for enemy aircraft being destroyed than it will happen no matter what causes the destruction - killed you, by an ally or running out of fuel. It would take some Lua coding to give points only when they are killed by you.

-Wayne Stiles
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

is Gunner98 maybe

Nope not mine - but I suspect it is the running out of fuel issue. I am away from the game ATM but there is a spreadsheet in the Community Pack download, you can find the author there and PM him. There is a reasonable chance something is going wrong in the scenario.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Sorry Gunner, I thought it was a Chains of War scenario.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Just checked, its a Chains of War scenario. Its not community.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

OK then, that was mikmyk.

He did the CoW, and Spratly Spat, I've done the other Command LIVE ones.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

If it is a "running out of fuel" issue, then you probably didn't do a Deep Re-Build of the scenario. Many of the scenarios were created awhile back, even the Live Scenarios, and fuel seems to somehow be left behind when the scenario is updated. I have found that if you do a Deep Re-Build, all of the fuel is restored to where it should be, and the plane won't rin out, so it won't crash, so you don't get 50 points and wonder how. <lol>

Try that. It usually resolves fuel issues. It might work. If not, then it is something else.

Doug
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

This is also why having the version number of the game is sometimes needed to figure out what is going on.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

Aircraft can be destroyed on the ground, and they may still be worth points. It depends on the scenario designer's whims.

The deeper question is what should destroyed aircraft be worth within the context of the scenario and why? I'm sure you can get the guys spun up about that one endlessly.

ORIGINAL: Stealth2017

Hi,

I would like to know how it is possible to get 50 points for destroying the enemy aircrafts even though there has not been any action, I do get this message randomly???

Thanks in advance
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Point allocation is usually made in the context of the scenario militarily and the geopolitical situation. It's sort of and art rather than a science. If a US carrier sunk equals 1000 points a F/A-18 would be what, 1 point? Basing points on the replacement cost ($$) of the equipment would be tedious at best and would not factor in the willingness of a side to accept losses due the political situation of that nation-state. I would enjoy reading player's thoughts, but this may come down to "it depends". In my few scenario posted, I set the highest victory to a say 1000 and then ratioed all the targets off of that "depending" on my decision on their relative values.

Maybe this is a good subject for a separate thread in the scenario design area rather than continuing it here.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I think the OP just wants to know how the scenario works and he gets 50 points for aircraft that he didn't destroy. Either the designer will answer it or he puts a save up so one of us can look at it.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

On second thought, I think almost all posts will indirectly bring up interesting topics that should not be immediately shoved to the side. There is a lot of creativity around here that can be accessed if channeled to the appropriated place. The issue is the sub-areas do not get visited as frequently by far as this Main Forum. Many of us regulars acknowledge that. We all want new players to learn how to post saved files etc.. That's a given. But let's not squash creative thought and shove it to the side never to be discussed again for the sake of some organizational construct that will never be adhered to anyway as new players dart in and out. Threads need to breath. I think we can all agree to that. An OP may ask a simple question that could lead into territory we frankly never thought about before and teach even experienced players something new.

Respectfully,

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

It doesn't have to get shoved to the side. Start a thread on it if you want. I just want to make sure this guys original question doesn't get lost in a swarm of broader discussions. That happens a lot too and quickly turns a simple question and answer into long and detailed discussion that has nothing to do with answering a simple question.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”