41 Mortar Battalion and SU question

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Nix77

41 Mortar Battalion and SU question

Post by Nix77 »

The Soviet 41 Mortar Battalion seems to have an awful lot of firepower for a battalion, 36x 120mm mortars, and it never upgrades so it's basically the best Mortar formation you can get since it offers the same amount of firepower with less support requirement than 43 Mortar Regiment (7vs19). Is this really intended? Shouldn't a battalions be around half the size of regiments?

The question I'm raising here also is the issue of battalions vs regiments: is there any reason to use battalions over regiments, since support unit commitment seems to be based on unit quantity, not what they contain. Or is there something hidden in the engine? Is committing 9 regiments as easy as 9 battalions? Why would someone build Sapper Battalions instead of regiments for example?
Stelteck

RE: 41 Mortar Battalion and SU question

Post by Stelteck »

The 41 mortar battalion is a mystery to me when i compare it to mortar regiment.

The only drawback i see is that mortar battalion cannot become guard.
Maybe because the 41 version lack support, it is less efficient than the regiment version which have good support squads ? I have no idea.

The most probable is that the 41 mortar battalion is completely OP as support unit. It is probable that a lot of support units are not balanced relative to their cost.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

strange unit indeed, no idea what it should represent.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
morvael

Post by morvael »

I think due to lack of internal support it will drain HQs more, thus the rest of your units will get less support from that HQ, and overall your force will suffer more lossed and lower morale due to lack of enough support.
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

ORIGINAL: morvael

I think due to lack of internal support it will drain HQs more, thus the rest of your units will get less support from that HQ, and overall your force will suffer more lossed and lower morale due to lack of enough support.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to make it upgrade to something more reasonable? Having inefficient units hanging around in the Red Army roster for the whole war seems a bit awkward. I'm suspecting it could also be a typo in the amount of mortars the battalion has, thus the disparity between equipment and support?

Morvael do you have any insight to the regiment vs battalion issue? I know everyone who takes some time to look into unit ToEs will notice that battalions have absolutely no advantage against regiments, unless there's something hidden in the SU commitment mechanic for example. In real life there would be absolutely no reason to prefer forming only regiments, they're just units of different size.

I love the fact that there are many realistic different sized formations in the game, it'd be nice to have different uses for all of them. Having a "weight factor" affect the SU commitment would be one solution: less weight (ie. bn vs rgmt) => easier to commit.

Return to “Tech Support”