Carrier Air Groups and Returning Carrier to PH

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

NAVMAN

Carrier Air Groups and Returning Carrier to PH

Post by NAVMAN »

If you transfer a carrier air group to a base and then send the carrier to Pearl, if and when the carrier comes back, does it have a complete new air group or does it assume the old air group is waiting for it?
bilbow

Post by bilbow »

It would come back empty if it left without an air group. You don't get a new air group with it.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill
NAVMAN

Post by NAVMAN »

Bilbow,
That's what I thought.Do you see any downside not sending the air group ashore prior to sending the carrier to Pearl?
denisonh

Post by denisonh »

Originally posted by NAVMAN
Bilbow,
That's what I thought.Do you see any downside not sending the air group ashore prior to sending the carrier to Pearl?

Depends on when and under what conditions.

I had the Big E get damaged and had to send her back to PH in June of a PBEM SC#19.

They were full up AGs and proved to be key in the defense of Efate. They are now all over 80 experience as they have seen allot of action in the meantime. By the time the Big E is back in theater, I will have more airgroups to replace them and put them back on the carrier.

If it is '43, you won't need them, but in early '42, they can be a big help.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”