In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving...

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Dabrion

RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving...

Post by Dabrion »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: quiritus

ORIGINAL: Aranthus

Where have you found map images? I don't see them in the downloads section.
now the draft version is online on ADG

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0714/ ... 4812448819
The changes to Belgium and the Netherlands have a major effect on game play.

The change is not as dramatic as is it seems. It only affects a FR first, because FR cannot garrison the Ardennes while Belgium is neutral. I would even say the weakness in that part of the Front is historical.

For the usualy Ne -> Be -> FR steam roller this change is rather irrelevant, given GE unit density and quality.
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

ORIGINAL: Mayhemizer
ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

Yes, they will, and I don't like the change of that hex at all. Makes things much too easy for the Germans.

I have not seen it and the link isn't working (for me at least) but anyway, I cannot understand how can this be a problem for the GE, they almost always take Holland in one impulse, so...

Earlier CW was able to disembark units to Rotterdam, but not in the future. There is a new hex though west of Rotterdam.

Rotterdam is a port, you can always disembark units there if you control the hex. All of Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Antwerp also have an all-sea hexside in the last version I have seen.
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Two other things: 1. For the fans of the Bulgarian gambit, Bulgaria is changed, and also will have an extra unit I hear. 2. The Azores hex to the west of Gibraltar.

Looks like I will have to seriously consider Euro-WiFcon this year, and maybe Oktoberfest[8D]
they have yet an extra unit with Khaki in flames.

on the other side Singapore became worst (from Japan prospective) only 1 full land hex to attack: i think that this lead to a no choice for Japan than DOW before CW reinforce pacific option. Singapore with two white print and a fort hexiside is Hard in Fine, with monson/rain AND Malaya full garrisoned is impossible for Japan.

Singapore is an Asia map territory and not concerned by USE36.

p.s.: I guess the distinction of where the map edges are located get lost on the MWiF maps; the Asia<->Pacific map edge is roughly running through Harbin/Shanghai/Manila/Timor/East-Australia. USE36 usually determines Hong Kongs and RAbauls fate though.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yeah, reinforcing Singapore is not controlled by USE 36 because Singapore is not included in "the Pacific". The change in the new rules excludes putting units in Malaya, but Singapore is also changed to be a separate territory, so the CW can reinforce it as soon as the CW player thinks he can spare the units.
Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Surprised at the lack of response to this question. Is no one else interested in the Collectors Edition?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Timian

Post by Timian »

You beat / Already ordered it . . . Like the Sicilian map changes . . . Don.
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

I think many are in the similar position of not being able to setup and run the large tabletop game anymore. Constraints such as real estate, spouse time and space limitations, and time from those available to actually play the game that were not a concern 10 years (or more) ago.

It might be nice to own it (for collectability sake), but even better if you could leave it set up and play it.

I am afraid that those days are gone.

The closest I can get is with MWIF, TeamViewer and TeamSpeak across 2 countries (3 provinces/states) a couple afternoons each month. The cardboard and paper version will not help with that.

Dave
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Surprised at the lack of response to this question. Is no one else interested in the Collectors Edition?
Interested. Just need to secure funds. Negotiations has begun. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

Does the Collector's Edition integrate some of the more exotic special weapons, like this one: https://i.redd.it/jrc2q9qnsmlz.gif
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

Does the Collector's Edition integrate some of the more exotic special weapons, like this one: https://i.redd.it/jrc2q9qnsmlz.gif
warspite1

The MK V Winston was truly devastating [:D]

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

warspite1

Here's a WW II weapon. I defy anyone to watch this video without laughing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJQqXXENYsI
I thought I knew how to play this game....
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I plan to set up a game of it this winter. Will dive into a solitaire game immediately upon receiving a copy, for sure. Whether I will be able to expand it out to a real game with my usual ftf opponent remains to be seen. We live 2.5 hours apart...but I have another out-of-state bid due this Friday.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

warspite1

[X(][:D]
[:D]
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

warspite1

I made it until the dog when I burst out laughing.
Flipper
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

First of the Stretched targets has been met - I believe that means that ADG will be printing the Scandinavian Map on hard board in due course. Hussah! [:)]

Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion
ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

now the draft version is online on ADG

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0714/ ... 4812448819
The changes to Belgium and the Netherlands have a major effect on game play.

The change is not as dramatic as is it seems. It only affects a FR first, because FR cannot garrison the Ardennes while Belgium is neutral. I would even say the weakness in that part of the Front is historical.

For the usualy Ne -> Be -> FR steam roller this change is rather irrelevant, given GE unit density and quality.
The Belgian hex that has been given to the Netherlands means that the Germans can take out the Netherlands (both ports) in Rain or Snow with certainty and zero losses. Then they are set up to take out Belgium without needing the Para unit. That can be done in Rain and Snow too. Come the first turn of Fine weather in Mar/Apr (or May/June) the French are under serious attack in the Belgian Clear terrain.

That is a substantial change.

Using the old map, the Germans have to either wait for the Para to take out both Amsterdam and Rotterdam, or risk a naval invasion by a division, or be lucky with the turn ending before the Brits can land units in Rotterdam. Without Rotterdam, the Germans have to wait for the Para to arrive in Mar/Apr to take out Belgium with confidence - otherwise they risk the Allies holding Brussels and 4 Allied Corps supporting Belgium.

This looks to my eye like the the changes in the Lowlands lets the Axis gain at least an impulse, and possibly a full turn for their attack on France.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I agree completely. I will not be playing on the new map.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

True, you cannot zoc-block Rotterdam anymore by sitting in Amsterdam. I haven't heard anyone complain about that yet.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

True, you cannot zoc-block Rotterdam anymore by sitting in Amsterdam. I haven't heard anyone complain about that yet.
Now you have!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Presumably this is just one rule change of many so maybe too early to judge the impact in the round? Not to mention the fact it must have been play-tested to death?

Return to “World in Flames”