Transport Helicopter/Utility Helicopter

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Bigfish

Transport Helicopter/Utility Helicopter

Post by Bigfish »

Hi there,

is there no option to load infantry into transport helicopters?

Also no option to transport Howitzer with transport helicopters?

So what transport helicopters what for?

Thanks in advance
Bigfish
CapnDarwin

RE: Transport Helicopter/Utility Helicopter

Post by CapnDarwin »

Correct. There are no airmobile operations in Red Storm. A limitation of the Red Storm game engine. We did have some platforms in the data for scenario design use only. Adding airmobile capabilities is high on our post Southern Storm release features list. We are already working to make changes to the transport model and data to support those features down the road.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

Ok Thanks!

I'am in preparation to writing down an AAR based on selfmade scenarios and i thought i could hover up my SAM-Teams - so now they have to walk all the way on their own and hoping that they fast enough so that the enemy tanks will do not roll over them... [:(]
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

Bigfish, I'm looking forward to your AAR.

Have you considered using the reinforcement mechanism to "air-transport" your SAM teams in-place?

William
William
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

Thanks W1ll14m,
considered using the reinforcement mechanism to "air-transport" your SAM teams in-place

No - i think the reinforcement mechanism is used for placing new units?

I'm looking forward to your AAR.

Ok! Some words:

First - the AAR is in german - a lot of german - because it is story based.
Second - you will need some time to read all of it - possible years! - it is a long term story
Third - It is something special because it is placed in 1975 - a time period witch is normally not coverd from FC:AR
Fourth - it is an combined AAR togehter with Matrixgames Command Northern Inferno (my CMANO AAR runs since Oct 2015 - also story based)
Fitfh - I'am completely new to FC:AR. I bought Flashpoint Germany serveral years ago but never played it. So there will be some mistakes with FC:AR
Sixth - It is not my goal to show a perfect single game, the focus is on the story togehter with the Command AAR
Seventh - The story just started - but the game part itself not
Eighth - i'm not sure now but i consider to build up norwegian maps for the land action part of the AAR. Only this will need posible weeks of work so the AAR need more years

Ninth:

You will find both - the FC:AR AAR and the Command NI AAR here:

FC:AR AAR = http://www.si-games.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29453

Command NI AAR = http://www.si-games.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28391

Be aware it is a lot to read [8|]

WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

Hi Bigfish,
ORIGINAL: Bigfish
considered using the reinforcement mechanism to "air-transport" your SAM teams in-place
No - i think the reinforcement mechanism is used for placing new units?
[/quote]

Yes, the reinforcement mechanism is meant to bring off-map units on the map some time after the scenario start. If your SAM teams would have been brought in from behind the front (off map), you could approximate air-transport using the reinforcement mechanism.

Your AAR looks very interesting. Cool to see you create and run your own scenario.
Great to see you working with one of the newer northern Fulda Gap maps! Btw, why did you pick the small Huenfeld area instead of the big one (Eiterfeld)?

You may want to try the alternate map graphics (flavor D from this thread) to make your AAR more authentic.

Wrt 1975: the game let's you create your own TOE database, correcting any issues you discover (availability of the Leo2, Gepard, MARS1 vs MARS2, presence of Milan vs Dragon ATGM), and play the game with the units you want. See the 'FPC Modding Guide 4 National Databases.pdf' in the documents folder. But I would leave that for a next scenario...

We'd really appreciate if you can pass on any discrepancies (such as above) you find in the Bundeswehr national database, preferably along with sources. We're in the process of reworking the database for Southern Storm, and like to offer the most accurate database possible. In English to Cap Darwin, or in German to me (in case German is less effort).

wrt Norway:
Be aware that Norwegian fjords aren't as easily modeled in Flashpoint Campaigns; Red Storm as the central European theatre; the fjords are really steep, and fighting probably would boil down to light (dismounted) infantry fights with armor being restricted/channeled into a few easily blocked roads and valleys. Probably closer to the Falklands than to Fulda Gap, and perhaps better modeled at 250m than 500m scale.
Harryvdk, one of the map makers visiting this forums, has been working on a fjord map.

I'm having fun reading the AAR. But it is very gruendlich...

William
William
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

Hi William,

thanks again!

Btw, why did you pick the small Huenfeld area instead of the big one (Eiterfeld)?

The first scenario should cover the first hours of combat in central europe. Because of the story the russian aggressor try to punch through a little hole with superior forces while the rest of the frontline is in defense. So the Rasdorf map is the perfect map. I've planned to use the Eiterfeld map for the second scenario.

You may want to try the alternate map graphics

Normaly i don't use "third party content" for security reasons/concerns ;) Also writing down an AAR without third party mods is better to reproduce for others who read the AAR. It is frustrating to read a really good AAR but you can't play it on your own because a mod used in the AAR is no longer available.

the game let's you create your own TOE database

Yes i know about the Excel sheets - and looked into it. But at one point i stated that it is to much background work. I've searched more than a week for my current TOE - that was pretty enough. The year 1975 is the most worst year for my AAR because in 1975 the transition started from Heeresstruktur 3 (TOE 3) to Heeresstruktur 4 (TOE 4) with Bundeswehr. But my FC:AR AAR is an addition to my Command Northern Inferno AAR so i had no choice [:D]

We'd really appreciate if you can pass on any discrepancies (such as above) you find in the Bundeswehr national database

For the year 1989 there is one very good and detaild source: http://www.relikte.com/literatur.htm This covers Heeresstruktur 4 (TOE 4) from 1980 to 1990. For Heeresstruktur 3 (70s) there are precious few information available.

Be aware that Norwegian fjords aren't as easily modeled

Also i know about the norwegian fjords - i spent my time for my last New Year's Eve vacation on a ship cruising along the coastline from Bergen to Kirkenes and back to Bergen [8|] - This is why i'am not sure if i should work on norwegian maps. Orderd HexDraw this week and take a look on it the next week.

Played up to three ingame hours of my scenario last night an it feels like i hoped for my story. Now i've to write some more chapters on my Command AAR. I think the ingame part of the FC:AR AAR ist about to begin mid to end of october because i need time sync between my two AARs - Sorry - but my AARs planned running for a couple of years - so everybody who want to read it have to stay tuned for a long time [;)]

I'm having fun reading the AAR. But it is very gruendlich...

Yeah!!! [:D] - I try to write down really accurate AARs so my research time multiplies the game time enormously. Because i grow up in 80s everything i write about the 70s i have to check and doublecheck for correctness.

Many Thanks!
Bigfish
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

Hi William,

i decided to edit the Database for my 1975 AARs. Trying to add things like M42 SPFLAK and Faun GT 8/15 UTYA.

I don't know how long i need for all additions - also i think i delete all entrys which are later then 1976. If you wan't i can send you my final 1975 Database if you think it is useful for upcoming game editions?

Also take a look here:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_von ... Bundeswehr

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_von ... Bundeswehr

for West German vehicles ;)

Best wishes
Bigfish

Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

Hi William!

ORIGINAL: WildCatNL

Bigfish, I'm looking forward to your AAR.

William

the first part of this AAR ist now finished after more then one and a half year:

tm.asp?m=4629374

http://www.si-games.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29453
wodin

Post by wodin »

Air mobile ops are a big wish of mine. See some Vietnam scenarios then. I do think though helicopters still need more work regarding survivability. With the nature of abstract terrain and a vehicle that uses every possible contour of ground to stay hidden and attack creates issues I feel.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”