Recent changes

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

ivanov

Recent changes

Post by ivanov »

Recently I've started playing the game first time after about two years. The last version I had installed was 2.0.10. Right now I have 2.0.13 installed and I'm under an impression, that the anti aircraft missiles and infantry ATGM's are much more effective than before. Currently I'm playing Rhino scenario and during the first hour, Soviets lost 70% of their helicopters and one well placed infantry platoon, almost completely annihilated an entire Soviet tank battalion. I think this looks fine to me. I just want to know, if there really have been some improvements to AA and infantry or if the Brits in my game are just incredibly lucky.
Lest we forget.
CapnDarwin

RE: Recent changes

Post by CapnDarwin »

There were a handful of critical fixes for some very deep old bugs in the last few updates. The game does play different from earlier versions. We think it is working much better and more like we intended. Hopefully you are seeing that too.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin
The game does play different from earlier versions. We think it is working much better and more like we intended. Hopefully you are seeing that too.

For the moment it seems to work much better than the previous versions. I also noticed, that the artillery is less deadly. I'd like to hear the opinions of other players, what are their impressions regarding the issues mentioned above.
Lest we forget.
HeinzBaby

Post by HeinzBaby »

I've found the opposite, AI Arty is F*%&king deadly...

'it knows' if you stack (even unseen in woods/towns) and kills off whole platoons. 'Dug in' appears to have no effect.
AI counterbattery is just as deadly, always knocking out your Howitzers/Mortars whilst your own knocks out their transports.
I've stopped using Bomblet/minelets, hardly any effect at all even in open ground, multiple Arty fires of HE do more damage.
It seems that Tube for Tube AI Artillery always appears to be more lethal.

Airland combat appears more effective, Helos now kill as do Anti-air units.
With the new update you learn to adopt the 'German' look of WW2 - one eye on the ground and the other scanning the skies.

And the NEW Golden rule is: Don't stack at all and keep your HQ's moving and Artillery scooting.
Heia Safari
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

ORIGINAL: HeinzBaby

I've stopped using Bomblet/minelets, hardly any effect at all even in open ground, multiple Arty fires of HE do more damage.
It seems that Tube for Tube AI Artillery always appears to be more lethal.

Yes, I was actually referring to the DPICM. Before they were able to destroy few tanks with each shot. In the recent game, each salvo was able to destry one tank or none. I thought that it was maybe the terrain effect. Conventional arty shouldn't be more effective than cluster munitions against armoured vehicles.
Lest we forget.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

One thing to watch with artillery is if you are dealing with a spotted fire mission or one that is unspotted by the time it hits. I've seen well spotted ICM strikes decimate units and stacks. Also the size of the arty system being used impacts ICM effectiveness. Rockets hit much harder than shells.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”