Climb Mt. Niitaka - Xargun vs Mr Kane

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Xargun

RE: March 13th, 1943

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

ORIGINAL: Xargun

17th Indpt Guards Regiment makes a stand in the jungle west of Lashio. Second day in a row.

They braved heavy air attack for two days and still fight back. Gives me some hope that its won't be a cake walk for the Allies in Burma. I LRCAP them but only like 20 fighters showed up. Didn't shoot down any bombers, but definately disrupted their attack runs.

They are in decent defending terrain, but look pretty disrupted by both the modifier and the final AV. It might be worth the 10 PP's to replace the leader with a higher quality one if you haven't done so already ... keep up wht LRCAP OR go after the airbase where they bombers are coming from.

The 17th just withstood another day of pounding from both air and ground. They have to be on their last string. I will LRCAP them heavily this turn (everything I got) and try to get some kills or at least stop the bleeding. I cannot hit the airbase they are coming from as it is Ledo and only my Netties have the range and recon reports 80+ fighters there plus heavy flak as I've lost several recon planes there already. I have plans for Ledo but not quite yet.

I am managing to hit his advancing columns of men damaging a bunch of tanks south of Magwe and Meiktila. Looks like he split up his mammoth group and is advancing down both roads. I will post more pictures this weekend.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Night bombing with Netties ... will impact how many bombers launch the next day and increase his ops losses ... [;)]
Pax
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

Night bombing with Netties ... will impact how many bombers launch the next day and increase his ops losses ... [;)]

Just gotta wait for some decent moonlight. Got 3 groups in Burma just for that purpose. Just hope the weather is cooperative for once.

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Even poor moonlight (assuming you don't have HR's on this), they will cause disruption. Don't guage success on how many hits you get, guage it on the bombing runs on your troops. You should see a reduction.
Pax
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

Even poor moonlight (assuming you don't have HR's on this), they will cause disruption. Don't guage success on how many hits you get, guage it on the bombing runs on your troops. You should see a reduction.

Gotcha. So even unsuccessful bombing runs will raise pilot fatigue and possibly fatigue on the aircraft.

We have no HRs concerning night bombing.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

If they are good pilots, high experience Netty (betty or nells) drivers, I wouldn't use them to bomb the runways, but save them for anti-shipping night torpedo runs.

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

If they are good pilots, high experience Netty (betty or nells) drivers, I wouldn't use them to bomb the runways, but save them for anti-shipping night torpedo runs.

+1

But you should have plenty of ground attack exp pilots from china ops by now. be sure to minimize ops losses .... with your mission profiles.
Pax
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Xargun!

I have been away for some time, learning WitW. It is a delight to see you back in action with an AAR.

Back when WitP was first released, your posts and guides were what got me started into the original release.

Am very glad that you are doing well; Mr. Kane is a formidable opponent.

And:

Pax- you are always one of my "must read" posts...

WitE and WitW are good, and I am enjoying learning; but WitP AE will always pull me back.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Mac,

Welcome back. Missed your posts and thoughts here in this forum.
Pax
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

Xargun!

I have been away for some time, learning WitW. It is a delight to see you back in action with an AAR.

Back when WitP was first released, your posts and guides were what got me started into the original release.

And:

WitE and WitW are good, and I am enjoying learning; but WitP AE will always pull me back.

Mac

Welcome back Mac - and thanks.

Mr Kane is kicking my butt to be honest, but I'm learning a lot. Maybe not learning, but remembering. I need to play back to back games and not years between them as I forget everything between games.

Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

Xargun!

And:

Mac

Welcome back Mac - and thanks.

Mr Kane is kicking my butt to be honest, but I'm learning a lot. Maybe not learning, but remembering. I need to play back to back games and not years between them as I forget everything between games.

MrKane is one of the best so dont feel bad!! WITPAE... It's a hobby!
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

Your AAR and the problems that you are having against armor in Burma came to mind the other day. Here is a copy of a combat report of an attack that I launched in Burma against a stack that was stronger than I anticipated. I did not expect British regulars.

Ground combat at Meiktila (58,47)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 16585 troops, 209 guns, 261 vehicles, Assault Value = 717

Defending force 15886 troops, 269 guns, 301 vehicles, Assault Value = 639

Japanese adjusted assault: 214

Allied adjusted defense: 241

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1479 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 51 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled

Allied ground losses:
825 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 47 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 28 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 22 (4 destroyed, 18 disabled)
Vehicles lost 101 (14 destroyed, 87 disabled)

Assaulting units:
5th Division
41st Infantry Regiment
14th Tank Regiment
6th Tank Regiment
5th Mortar Battalion
15th Army
3rd Mortar Battalion
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion

Defending units:
7th Hussars Regiment
2nd Royal Tank Regiment
251st Recce Battalion
53rd British Brigade
9th Burma Rifles Battalion
RM Viper Force
54th British Brigade
17th Indian Division
13th Burma Rifles Battalion

Despite the presence of British regulars and an attack that came off poorer than I expected, note the heavy losses to British armor. Many of these vehicles were tanks. How was this possible? The 5th Division is composed, in stock and DBB-lite, of Japanese heavy infantry squads, which have an anti-armor of 25. Japanese heavy infantry is the equivalent of combat engineers. It is what makes the 5th division the single best unit in the entire Japanese force pool in stock and DBB-lite. I would rather lose 2 fleet CVs than lose the 5th division.

To stop that Armored attack in Burma, you need the 5th division, heavily fortified in good terrain, along with whatever other heavy infantry and combat engineers you can muster. That will put a suprise on Mr. Kane and stop that advance dead in its tracks.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

If that attack is early in the game the British armour has not been upgraded to proper tanks. They have armoured cars and Vickers tankettes IIRC. They will soon get Matildas and Stuarts which are decently armoured.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

I have had similar results against Stuarts with heavy infantry after 1942. You are correct that it was probably the tankettes that I disabled in this engagement. However, the point is that the 360 Hvy inf. squads of the 5th division are key to stopping allied armored attacks after 1942. In 1942, there is not much difference between the Hvy Inf squads and normal infantry squads. However, in 1943, the 5th ID can upgrade to Hvy Inf 43, which does have the same anti-armor rating as combat engineers, and Xargun's game is in 1943.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I don't know this mod, but in stock do not be deceived by the "anti-armor" upgrade of the IJ inf in '43. 25 is quite poor compared to both where the allied inf is in '43 and the armor that most allied AFV's have in '43.

Matilda II = 70
Humber = 29
M3 = 38

I'm not listing any main battle tanks here ...

both of these are actually 12/42
USA '43 = 35
USMC '43 = 35

for 12/43:
USMC '44 = 55

Pax
Xargun

Burma Update

Post by Xargun »

Well Prome fell as his tanks rolled in and shock attacked before all of my troops could disembark the train cars and they were push out to the SE. Now it looks like he is moving onward from Prome so I am heavily considering abandoning Toungoo. I can't risk the allies cutting off Toungoo and trapping all my troops there. Still looking and considering my options in the area, but looks like Toungoo will be abandoned.
Attachments
Burma.jpg
Burma.jpg (381.55 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

Stuarts have an armor of 25, and IJA hvy infantry is lethal against Stuarts... lethal... I tell you... lol.
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

The combat results state defender preparedness (-), maybe the tank unit, units were in movement or other mode than combat which resulted in the large los of vehicles.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

The combat results state defender preparedness (-), maybe the tank unit, units were in movement or other mode than combat which resulted in the large los of vehicles.
If they were in Move or Strat mode the CR code would be "Mode -".
Armoured units usually have a lot of motorized support to carry their ammo, fuel and spare parts. The first vehicles to go in a battle are usually these soft-skinned ones. It is much harder to kill a tank that can shoot back!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Xargun

Economic Update

Post by Xargun »

I was perusing through Tracker while waiting for a turn and was wondering what my levels of supplies and such in Japan actually were. The tracker page I look at every turn lists totals of everything, not breaking it down where it is. So I looked.. and I was instantly in a crisis [:@]

These numbers are just in the Main Island of Japan (not Hokkaido)

The Good news:
Fuel: 4.1 Million - enough for my Industry for 330 days
Oil: 1.95 Million - enough for my refineries for 202 days
Supply: 2.9 Million - mostly sitting in Tokyo, but that will be moved once the allies are close enough to bomb.

Bad news:
Resources: 2 Million - enough for 23 days [:o][:o][:o]

What the heck. I know I'm been focusing on Oil / Fuel out of Singapore lately but didn't think I neglected Resources that bad. But apparently I have. Resources have always been my weak spot in the Japanese economy - it seems I can never move enough like other players. I do great with oil / fuel, but resources are always hard for me.

Good news is I have 2Million on Hakkaido to the north which is very close and just needs moved. And another Million at Port Arthur. So its a case of moving it - not hauling it completely across the Pacific Ocean. I am spending time scouring my ports for decent xAKs to draft into service and will resolve this soon.

I do have like 400k resources on its way from Singapore, but it is probably 10 days away from docking. Not sure how you guys always have tons of resources in the Home Islands and not fuel / oil. I'm the complete opposite.

Return to “After Action Reports”