When one-map scenarios?

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Jomi

When one-map scenarios?

Post by Jomi »

Hello matrix games, world in flames players:

I purhcased Wif (Computer game) edited by Matrix Games in 2011. Well, I can not play the one-map scenarios. The program tells they are not available. After six years, is still posible? I know the programming of a wargame like World in Flames is difficult, of course, but I hoped that in six years will be all scenarios operationals and will be, perharps, a lot of updates and expansions. Why not? If anyone know how is posible to get some of tehm inside some forum I thanks him.

Thank you very much. Regards.
RFalvo69

RE: When one-map scenarios?

Post by RFalvo69 »

MWiF was released in Nov 2013, so it is four years, not six.

I agree, however, that this situation is now beyond farcical. In four years we still waiting both for the complete set of Optional Rules and Half-Map scenarios. Four years in, and we are still rejoicing when a feature described in the manual and explained in the tutorials actually starts working for real (*).

On these fora you can read every then and now that "The game has come a long way since it was released!" like if this is a great thing. It isn't: IMHO, this it is only a sad form of joy; truth is: these posts only underline how MWiF was sold at full price ($150) and with the obligation to buy the hardbound manuals when Matrix knew very well that the code was still not even in pre-alpha phase. If if four years "the game has come a long way" this means that it was published as "finished" with, actually, still "a long way to go" code-wise - a way so long that, after four years, there is still no end in sight. (**)

Anyway, the answer to your question lies in the copy&paste lines you can find each month in the "Monthly Reports":

Missing Optional Rules & Half Map Scenarios
Nothing new in (month).

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in (month).

And, no: I don't think that you can mod them in. It would require specific changes in the source code.

(*) The video-tutorials, BTW, show that all the missing optional rules and the half-map scenarios are actually available in the UI. I guess that they "activated" these featureswhen they recorded the tutorials even if they knew that they were broken (and still are) - so to give the impression of a finished game. (irony)Why they did this is beyond me(/irony).

(**) Interestingly enough, when Matrix got a sufficient number of eggs on their face, they discovered that, actually, yes: you could buy a digital-only version of the game at a more reasonable price. tl:dr: Those who had faith in the company got shafted; the others had, at least, the opportunity to save about half of their money (or all of it if they did wait before buying and were able thus to follow the evolution of this disaster).

Meanwhile, with the Collectors Edition being published by ADG (and his big number of improvements, revised counters and ruleset, and even cleaned up maps) we are now still waiting for what has now, in the meanwhile, become an obsolete version to be finished. You do the math.

Edit: Spelling and grammar.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

I couldn't agree with you more, the whole situation is disgusting.
Richard
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

I called it what it is a couple of days after "release": A SCAM!

Sadly there is a fundamental divide in American and European business ethics: Caveat Emptor vs Caveat Venditor! Meaning the law is either protecting the buying or the selling side in case of scams.
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
vonpaul

Post by vonpaul »

+1, just to be clear I blame Matrix not Steve, who is no doubt doing his best with competing priorities.

Every game Matrix releases is tarnished with MWIF.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”