Windows Hot (F) Keys

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

spinecruncher

Windows Hot (F) Keys

Post by spinecruncher »

in my window 10 keyboard my F keys are dedicated to windows functions, for example F3 effects the screen display. So how does that work for example when I Want to use F3 for plotting? I tried the combo with CTR but that did not no anything. CTRL D does work as a navigation tool, etc, but F keys a no go? Thank you

Edit? F2/Ctrl combo does work to bring up throttle window. But what about that feature w the double F3, where the whole plot is removed? Seems like CTRL/f3 can be used to delete individual plots, sort of like a delete key can be used, when clicking the the yellow icon.
neno

RE: Windows Hot (F) Keys

Post by neno »

You have to configure the keys in your keyboard's software, or on your keyboard itself, by using function key or something similar.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Might want to read the manual on your computer too.
rjm51973

Post by rjm51973 »

Sometimes it's a setting in the BIOS menu
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

It si most likely a BIOS setting, but not sure you want to send this guy in his BIOS. That is just opening up a can of worms. I think every hot key has a menu equivalent. Also, as was stated, there is going to be a Function key (FN on most computers) that as long as you hold it down, the "F" keys work like "F" keys.

My suggestion if this doesn't help, contact your computer manufacturer or go to where you bought the computer. Its a basic operational question.

spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

well seems like adding the CTRL key makes it work for the app. Aren't all F keys dedicated for windows functions when used alone?
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

It depends on the computer and the settings. First thing I do on a new computer is make sure the F keys are native. I have to use the FN key to get the other keys to work.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I was serious about reading the manual for the computer. It will tell you how to do it.
neno

Post by neno »

Is it a laptop? As mentioned above, the settings are probably in the BIOS, at least that's how it is on my HP laptop (which I'm not using for CMANO)
spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

Well, would I change them if they are native written or in the bios? I do not think I want to mess around w the F Keys but as stated I think using the CTRL key combo brings it into the app function.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Why would you use the control key? You have the FN key correct? I would be careful using the control key. If you look at the hot key list in-game, its associated with a lot of function key commands.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

List the make and model of you computer and maybe someone will look up the procedure for you. Or you could google it.
spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

okay I see it came up in google but I personally have no interest in having to effect the bios to play this game. I will go back to another title of it comes to that.

To disable, or enable, the function key (fn) in the BIOS, do the following steps.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window. ...
Use the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.
More items...

HOW-TO: Disable The Fn + Function on HP Laptops - HP Communities
h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Next-Bench...TO...Fn-Function...HP-Laptops/.../77527
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

So again, I'll ask...why are you using the control key? If you are using an HP laptop, it has an Fn key in the lower left corner to the right of the control key. Pressing that and holding it down will make the function keys act like the function keys as long as you hold it down.

btw, the actual normal and native operation is the function key is the default key. Only certain laptop makers do it the opposite way.
spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

I got the idea from the tutorial where he shows how to measure the distance from one object to another, :CTRL D. And since the F keys alone didn't work I tried the combo w CTRL. CTRL F2 also brings up the throttle window, CTRL F8 or Fn/F8 brings up weapons, ctrl/F9: doctrine, but FN/ F9 brings up a sensor window. There's more I have to figure them all out.
spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

Also a general question on ROE, to learn the game I would like to be able to control when my unit engages. Do I just need to switch the ROE to hold tight/manual? So the unit won't fire until I manually attack?

Same for sensors, I turned em all off to creep into a zone undetected but I still detected another unit. The sensors window showed all sensors off. Was there a doctrine/ROE somewhere that had the sensors on?
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Once again, use the fn key for functions. You will eventually run into trouble using the control key.
spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

Can someone answer my question about how I would be detecting units of I turned off all sensors including EMCON? I wanted to try creeping in without a signature and it doesn't work. Could it be bc tutorial is scripted? Do I need to go to doctrine? I swear I have all sensors off and my unit still detects the Goblin. I am thinking it's script.

Also what is the best way to "Take Command " and decide when and where to engage ( Manual Vs Auto) I have read the manual and kind of gotten the hang of this but sometimes the unit does not act like I Would expect it would. I turn ROE to "hold" But does this also have an effect on manual attack?
Owllord

Post by Owllord »

The message log will tell you which sensor detected what. Your detection was very likely due to passive sonar.
The artist known as Owl
spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

The more I play the less my questions matter. Like the first air tutorial. This game is deep!

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”