Finnish War Entry

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Harrybanana

Finnish War Entry

Post by Harrybanana »

I know I've read it, but now I can't find the Rule that states the conditions under which Finland will enter the War. Can someone please point me to the rule?
Robert Harris
sPzAbt653

RE: Finnish War Entry

Post by sPzAbt653 »

1.21.2. Finland
Finland will join the Axis providing it has a pro-Axis
leaning and Axis forces have a unit within 1 hex of
either Pskov, Ostrov, Polotsk, 4 hexes of Leningrad
or 5 of Novgorod.
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

1.21.2. Finland
Finland will join the Axis providing it has a pro-Axis
leaning and Axis forces have a unit within 1 hex of
either Pskov, Ostrov, Polotsk, 4 hexes of Leningrad
or 5 of Novgorod.

Thank you, but this is not how my 1.21.2 reads. Mine reads as follows:

"The USSR will have the opportunity to sign an armistice with Finland when at any point from the 1st of January 1940, Viborg, Leningrad, Moscow, Paris and Rome are in Allied hands, and the UK, USA and USSR are all Allied and not surrendered.

If the Soviets wish to sign an armistice, Germany will be presented with an opportunity to stiffen Finnish resolve to remain in the Axis. Otherwise, Finland will sign an armistice and withdraw from the war. See DE 404 and DE 619 for further details."

So obviously I do not have the latest version of the Manual. How do I get the latest version?
Robert Harris
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Obviously you are confusing 2 different situations, the first being the conditions for Finnland joining the Axis (as sPzAbt 653 mentioned), the second being to leave the Axis by armistice with the SU.
Goodmongo

Post by Goodmongo »

ORIGINAL: Sugar

Obviously you are confusing 2 different situations, the first being the conditions for Finnland joining the Axis (as sPzAbt 653 mentioned), the second being to leave the Axis by armistice with the SU.

I was about to write the same thing but then I noticed his actual issue is that both are listed as 1.21.2 in the manual. So the manual changed at some point where 1.21.2 was different.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

You asked for the conditions under which Finland entered, and that is the answer that I looked up and gave to you. The entire 1.21.2 is as follows:

Attachments
FinnEnEx.jpg
FinnEnEx.jpg (95.94 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

You asked for the conditions under which Finland entered, and that is the answer that I looked up and gave to you. The entire 1.21.2 is as follows:

That may be how 1.21.2 reads in your Manual; but that is not how it reads in my Manual. My Manual does not have that first paragraph. So I appreciate your enlightening me. But now what I want to know is how I can go about getting the Updated Manual that you obviously possess. I am worried that there may be other valuable information in the updated manual that I am missing.
Robert Harris
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

My apologies, I had no idea that there were different manuals [:(]
nnason

Post by nnason »

different Manuals? I have the hard copy which is great but is that the definitive version except changes made with updates?
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

BTW why is it then that Finland joins the axis as soon as the Axis finish their first turn when playing the 1941 Barbarossa scenario, regardless of where the axis forces are? Shouldn't they not enter the war until "Axis forces have a unit within 1 hex of either Pskov, Ostrov, Polotsk, 4 hexes of Leningrad or 5 of Novgorod."?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

It's also crazy where the Finnish HQ and Fighter start if the Soviets win the Winter War - do they want to die?7
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

ORIGINAL: nnason

different Manuals? I have the hard copy which is great but is that the definitive version except changes made with updates?

With each official update, and if it is applicable due to any significant changes from the original release, we will update the PDF version of the Manual that comes with the game.

This means of course that there might in the end be slight differences from the printed Manual by the time the game sees its last update.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater
ORIGINAL: nnason

With each official update, and if it is applicable due to any significant changes from the original release, we will update the PDF version of the Manual that comes with the game.

This means of course that there might in the end be slight differences from the printed Manual by the time the game sees its last update.

Okay, great - will any updated PDF manual automatically be updated when you update the game, either via Steam or on the standalone version?

Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Regarding the starting positions of the HQ and Fighter we could certainly improve that and there might be an issue with the 1941 Finnish entry, I'm coordinating with Bill to confirm on that or not and to put in a fix if necessary.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: oxford_guy

It's also crazy where the Finnish HQ and Fighter start if the Soviets win the Winter War - do they want to die?7

Also - any feedback on this? Why do the Finnish HQ and Fighter start in such easily-exploitable locations?
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Also - any feedback on this? Why do the Finnish HQ and Fighter start in such easily-exploitable locations?

I've just made some adjustments here. [:)]

With regard to Finnish war entry in the 1941 campaign, it follows the historical path more as they entered the war only a few days later, whereas things are more flexible and variable in the 1939 and 1940 campaigns.

While in real life the Finns were bombed by the USSR before the joined the Axis, I don't think it would be realistic to expect Soviet players to attack Finland on the first Allied turn. It's just not going to happen. So having them enter the war just after the scenario begins seems reasonable.

Now with safer starting positions, it will work out better for the Finns too if they are attacked.

Bill
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Okay, great - will any updated PDF manual automatically be updated when you update the game, either via Steam or on the standalone version?

Yes. From memory I think people were asking questions on the forum that made me realise we needed a bit more text in that situation about Finland.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Dmondragon75

Post by Dmondragon75 »

I dont think its necessary to change finish army starting posution, soviet player should have oportunity to destroy them
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Why would the Finns put their HQ on the front line, though?
Dmondragon75

Post by Dmondragon75 »

I m writing this from the aspect of game balance, as previously noted. Makes no sense with HQ starting position, but gives soviet player desperately needed chance to stabilize northern front

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”