Strategic importance of Sweden?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.
rocketman71

Strategic importance of Sweden?

Post by rocketman71 »

Being from Sweden I have often though about what it would have been like if we had been a fighting force in WWII. Having played the game (only as Axis so far) I haven't really seen any "use" of Sweden other than as a supplier of iron ore. I wonder if you have had strategic use of Sweden as an allied force/minor via diplomacy or found it strategically important to occupy. Any experiences with this or does Sweden usually remain a neutral country throughout the war?
Sugar

RE: Strategic importance of Sweden?

Post by Sugar »

With the railroad connecting Norway and Finnland, the use of Sweden has not such a big economical advantage as in the predecessor for the Axis, with norwegian ports reaching supply lvl 8 after the fall of Leningrad.

The other issue for the Allies is the possibility to reach Sweden via the landbridge at Kopenhagen with Axis forces, it`s much safer to invade Norway at first, with Sweden as a buffer zone; especially before the Axis gets Leningrad.

For the Axis it`s important to occupy Göteburg in case of their invasion, this way the Allies won`t be able to support Sweden. I prefer to invade Sweden with the Axis, if my opponent influences Sweden until they stop delivering their ore. Another option than via Kopenhagen is to destroy the corps occupying Stockholm by bombers and to take the city by Paras or amphibs, with the Kriegsmarine sinking the swedish fleet.

Altogether Sweden is very valuable economically for the Axis, but usually there`ll be no time for an invasion against a human opponent. It`s easily possible to bring them into the Axis against the AI, with their fleet being valuable for the Axis, but the army lacks the possibility to buy a tank.
Leadwieght

Post by Leadwieght »

Hi RB,

I played one game as the Allies in which my opponent spent lots of diplo and got Sweden into the war by early 1942 (before I had time to counter with the more influential US diplo chits). Their army and navy really boosted his attack on the Baltics and Leningrad, which had been floundering. I lost the game, partly as a result of the Swedes.

LW
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Indeed, the iron ore mines are the most valuable ressources in this game, and Sweden has a pro Axis-Leaning of 20% from the start.

Strategically maybe Spain is a better option, with Gibraltar and Portugal following. Economically as well as strategically Turkey might even be the better choice, with nearly the whole Middle East, Libya and Egypt doubbling its value - if the Axis could get her hands on them. Both are able to produce one tank each, Spain additionally one Stuka.

On the other hand, Spain can be called by conquering Algeria, without any Diplo. Isn`t this game fantastic?

Time is of course crucial, even the second Allie will provide 5 Chits, outnumbering the Axis-Chits by 10 versus 8.
Leadwieght

Post by Leadwieght »

Hi Sugar,

Agree that Spain is more valuable to the Axis than Sweden, not sure that Turkey is. The Axis has to spend lots of diplo to get Turkey into the fold, and by the time Turkey joins the Axis, the Russians will likely be able to hold them off in the Caucasus with a few units, the Allies can divert a couple of Corps to defend Mesopotamia.

It might make sense to win Turkey over to the Axis if you start spending diplo on it very early, when the Russians have no diplo and the Western Allies are unlikely to be in a position to counter it, but I'm not sure.

It's the near-endless possibilities of this game that I love.

LW
rocketman71

Post by rocketman71 »

If Sweden joins the Axis, will a higher amount of iron ore be exported each turn?
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Hi Leadwieght, hi rocketboy,

afaik the convoy is unaffected, but you`ll get the whole swedish income additionally, with those mines value of up to 100 MPP/turn alone, as well as their forces.

But I agree to Leadwieght, Spain should be targeted at first, with their income being quite as high, better forces, and the strategical advantage of closing the Med. Theatre for the Allies.

Turkey might get some help by events randomly, the arrival of am. tanks in case of the loss of El Alamein being one, the DE or DoW by the Allies of Syria being another, and afaik there`s also a third event helping the Axis.

Personally I prefer not to spend any Diplo-Chits in case of playing the Axis in PbEM, especially if my conception includes getting Spain and Finnland into the Axis; to be able to counter any Allies influence immediately. To get Spain via the Algeria-Event they have to have a leaning of 30% at least, and the Finns + 1%. All the already invested chits on other targets might be wasted in case you`ll have to counter, and that`s a costly undertaking.

Return to “The War Room”