Spaceport vs star base over colony: resources shortage.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Dragnov

RE: Spaceport vs star base over colony: resources shortage.

Post by Dragnov »

Dum dum dum! Images finally work!

Thanks Hattori, I don't know why the PM uploaded all five the same images, they were deffo five different ones.

Let me upload the images and saves myself:

My homeworld stockpiles are high:

While my colony is drained:

One of my gas mines with full stocks:
Dragnov

Post by Dragnov »

Posting the link to save here: SAVE FILE

Mods used in the game:
Research Unleashed - Version 2.2
Bacon Mod
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I don't want to run the Bacon mod, but from your images it seems like you indeed got enough resources.

It could be some priority issue, the AI has previously been slow in supplying fresh colonies, but I have not really done anything with fresh colonies for a while.

Veheph or whatever its name is a very poor quality colony, and you can see that it has not been supplied. Low culture (C 58) means that it is lacking luxuries. The other colony has 100C which indicates full luxuries, but lacking race bonus (should be 105, I believe).

How long have you had those other colonies, and which was grabbed first? I wonder if the crap status could make it a low priority, or if it is newer. Was Veheph an independence since it got the larger population?
Dragnov

Post by Dragnov »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling
How long have you had those other colonies, and which was grabbed first? I wonder if the crap status could make it a low priority, or if it is newer. Was Veheph an independence since it got the larger population?
Yes, it was an independent colony I have conquered as was the other. Had both for a couple years.

But its just a study case - my other games suffered from the same even with 100% quality planet with my native pop.
I start to wonder if its some skewered supply mechanic when I build that medical wonder that gives +100% growth on my homeworld. Maybe the game overestimates the amount of resources it needs for pop growth?
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

As I'm recently finding out, or actually have known a long time now, the game has a big flaw in resource distribution.

I'm playing Pirate Play where I can choose to build 1000 freighters, And they still don't move my resources around efficiently.

I will soon start a normal Empire game in Vanilla Distant Worlds, but I've found in general there is a huge flaw still with resource management. They did some work on it with patches but as you are now also experiencing, they aren't going to finish.

Thank god they started Distant Worlds 2! but Distant Worlds is fun enough for now.

My latest test has been trying to build no freighters and only Mining and Gas Ships! ha..
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

I'm wondering if its a mod problem? I run icemanias ai mod and don't have any of these issues.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

I'm running Vanilla Distant Worlds and I've run into some interesting resource situations. It's not game breaking, just annoying..

Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I'm sorry but I still don't see what the problem is. The game moves resources quite well but not perfectly. If you're the type of player that needs to know where each gallon of Caslon goes, well I feel sorry for you.
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

Thats pretty funny Retreat1970, I don't think anyone wants to know where every gallon goes, but just to add to what the original posters concern probably were, I think you may not be thinking about the problem is not where every gallon goes, but why every gallon isn't in his HomePort or Home Colonies..

That is a perfectly legitimate concern, and potential problem, as imagine trying to build/refuel a fleet and you have no caslon or hydrogen..
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

ORIGINAL: Blabsawaw22

I'm running Vanilla Distant Worlds and I've run into some interesting resource situations. It's not game breaking, just annoying..

The only one that stands out for me is if a scout finds a small space port out in the middle of nowhere I have to retire it because if any ships try to use it to refit or refuel no freighters will carry any resources to it and they get stuck.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

It's only a tiny example, but here is a recent interesting thing..

I have a mine with 12,000 Caslon, in my own territory. I am building ships in a homeport, I need Caslon, so one of my Freighters goes rogue, and off to LaLa land, far away to pick up Caslon (actually purchase it, costing me money) when I have Caslon free and available, at my mine down below closer than where it is going.

Sorry for the crazy picture drawing but hopefully you can see a freighter going off to "not me" and buying caslon, meanwhile I have caslon available and not reserved in my own mine. as you can see in the 2nd picture below.

I know it's only a small thing but it's like that all the time and with many things.

I still can't stop playing the game though so it doesn't really prevent me from having fun, I just get annoyed at not having money and Caslon because of resource purchases and taking my freighters away from other more important jobs within my actual network of mines..

Attachments
Distantuse.jpg
Distantuse.jpg (471.5 KiB) Viewed 203 times
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Dragnov

Posting the link to save here: SAVE FILE

Mods used in the game:
Research Unleashed - Version 2.2
Bacon Mod

Hi. If your home planet ha slarge stockpiles and the goods are not getting distributed to your other colonies you can use the ALT-1,2,3 in the Bacon mod to order a freighter to send supplies to another colony. Its not a perfect solution but it will get the other colony growing again until the AI gets around to sending a freighter to supply it.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I still can't stop playing the game though so it doesn't really prevent me from having fun

+1

Fun is what it's all about. If you can't change something stop trying. Play.
Dragnov

Post by Dragnov »

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

I'm sorry but I still don't see what the problem is. The game moves resources quite well but not perfectly. If you're the type of player that needs to know where each gallon of Caslon goes, well I feel sorry for you.
ORIGINAL: Blabsawaw22
Thats pretty funny Retreat1970, I don't think anyone wants to know where every gallon goes, but just to add to what the original posters concern probably were, I think you may not be thinking about the problem is not where every gallon goes, but why every gallon isn't in his HomePort or Home Colonies..

That is a perfectly legitimate concern, and potential problem, as imagine trying to build/refuel a fleet and you have no caslon or hydrogen..
Thanks Blabsawaw22, for actually getting what my issue is.
I do not care where every bit of resource goes, I am just frustrated why I am having empire-wide shortages on colonies when clearly there is plenty enough of resources mines and homeworld. Makes my game stagnate since the new colonies don't grow at all.
I have observed those peculiar freighter behaviors. It's almost like the game reserves % of freighters for certain tasks and they will perform those even if there should be higher priorities? I.e. hauling caslon from your own mines rather than buying it from xenos! I got quite a few freighters idling on regular basis. Almost like an ant colony with perma slacker % of population.

@Retreat1970, to take a twist on your own words: if you don't want to help, don't post :D
Since you seem to be disinterested in grasping what the actual issue is.

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

Hi. If your home planet ha slarge stockpiles and the goods are not getting distributed to your other colonies you can use the ALT-1,2,3 in the Bacon mod to order a freighter to send supplies to another colony. Its not a perfect solution but it will get the other colony growing again until the AI gets around to sending a freighter to supply it.
Hey Bacon, I already tried that and listed the result earlier in this thread. It solves the shortage for short while but then all the resources I have manually ordered to colonies are being drained back to Homeworld. Manually spamming re-supply orders for several colonies is clearly not the way forward.

All in all, I will give vanilla without mods a go sometime, to see if I am experiencing the same logistics issue.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

All I can say is that I have ever seen shortages on mines trying to retrofit, or on rare situations where I am aggressive about building a spaceport on a brand new colony. I have been building the minimal star bases which only purpose is to bring recreational and medical facilities without any issues (no construction yards, just bare minimum and a shield).

That is with playing with Extended and AI Extended mods.

When I play, I am not playing particularly fast/aggressively, so I it is probably possible to see more resource issues than I do.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

@Retreat1970, to take a twist on your own words: if you don't want to help, don't post :D

Calling me useless and stupid. Sure you're not my ex-wife?
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

[:D]

True, I don't think anybody should go that far. I still like you Retreat1970. Because you want multiplayer for Distant Worlds 2!! That makes you a good guy in my book! hahaha

and with multiplayer, you could blow this guy out of the sky with RailGuns and Torpedoes when he tries to insult you.

[&o][:D]
Blabsawaw22

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

So Much for my Gas mining ship experiment!

I noticed when I put Luxury Resource extractors on them they went out to get all kinds of things, but when just Gas Extractors, oh then they refuse to work... Just like Americans. Only want the luxuries in life.

Attachments
Get.jpg
Get.jpg (169.42 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Dragnov

Post by Dragnov »

lol man, where did I call you useless and stupid...

...though it made me laugh.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Resource problem posts make me more sarcastic than usual. Sorry about that. It's because there is nothing you can do to change it. Private sector is out of your control therefore don't worry about it. Will the game company fix it? Doubt it. The last patch was 2 years ago. They're knee deep in DW2 (I hope). Plus DW is old (7.5 years now). I gave up control a long time ago. If I come across fuel problems or resource problems I just chalk it up to adversity and I try to overcome it. My best games came from desperate times. Just saying. But I'll shut up. You guys are right, I don't have anything to add (not sarcasm).

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”