New Dunkirk Trailer

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: New Dunkirk Trailer

Post by warspite1 »

Dunkirk Spoiler Alert

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Hmm. I'm having some trouble with whether the individual plot sequences were based on historical events or just the whims of screenwriters.
warspite1

Here is one that seems to have been based on real life. Although I don't know for certain if Nolan had Lightoller in mind, the similarities are many - not least is that he had a son in the RAF killed at the start of the war (although flying bombers not fighters) - but also that he insisted on piloting the boat himself, he took his son with him, he rescued well over 100 troops and survived an attack from the Luftwaffe!

https://www.historyanswers.co.uk/people ... orld-wars/
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Nice story WS1, this hero definitely created his own luck
Formerly Goodwood

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: wodin

chickenboy..get the subtitled Stalingrad film..many like it as I do..ohh and read the book:) Cross of Iron is a GREAT book aswell..but I bet you can't imagine Steiner not looking like James as you read it:)
It's been years since I read "Enemy at the Gates", but enjoyed the book thoroughly. The movie was so-so. I'll see if I can lay hands on "Stalingrad" the movie. Thanks for the advice.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Dunkirk Spoiler Alert

Hmm. I'm having some trouble with whether the individual plot sequences were based on historical events or just the whims of screenwriters.
warspite1

Here is one that seems to have been based on real life. Although I don't know for certain if Nolan had Lightoller in mind, the similarities are many - not least is that he had a son in the RAF killed at the start of the war (although flying bombers not fighters) - but also that he insisted on piloting the boat himself, he took his son with him, he rescued well over 100 troops and survived an attack from the Luftwaffe!

What about the sequence I mentioned, though: A gliding, out-of-petrol spitfire at low altitude, shoots down a diving stuka before it can release its bombs?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Dunkirk Spoiler Alert

warspite1

What about the sequence I mentioned, though: A gliding, out-of-petrol spitfire at low altitude, shoots down a diving stuka before it can release its bombs?

I think that falls squarely into the 'artistic licensure' camp, Curtis Lemay. Same with having sufficient ammunition to shoot down / damage a minimum of 5 enemy planes.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Dunkirk Spoiler Alert

warspite1

warspite1

[&:] You're welcome....

As for the specific point, I have not been able to find anything to suggest that is based on reality - whether at Dunkirk or anywhere else or I would have mentioned it.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

An interesting story posted in one of the other forums.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... treal-hero

stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

ORIGINAL: BASB

Saw this picture today. My son and I went to the Imax theatre in Melbourne, truly a great experience. Sound, photography and music mind blowing. Loved the aerial combat or more so the aerial scenes. It's not SPR or a BTF it's a different type of war movie, just like Schindler's List was a different type of war movie.
Not to mention what they are, but there is a couple of scenes that frighten the crap out of me. [:D]
I would recommend this movie to most, if it is 100 minutes of blood, gore and endless action then you may be a little disappointed, but you want to see a movies great sound, photography, fantastic music and some very human elements of war (fear, pride, fortitude etc etc) then do yourself a favour go and see it soon.
Warspite In will be interested in your comparison between Imax and normal theatre.

I finally got around to my second viewing of Dunkirk yesterday. It was my last chance to see it again before it disappears from my local cinema's screens. IMAX showings had already ended so it was only available on standard widescreen. So I have now seen it in both formats, but in the reverse order to Warspite 1's viewings.

Frankly, I barely noticed the difference in screen sizes. The main action takes place in the widescreen panel and as that is what we have been conditioned to accept as "normal" I really didn't miss the extra top and bottom views.

The sound was a different matter. I would have expected that it would have been a relatively simple matter to standardise the sound systems across both formats, but not so. It wasn't just that the direction of the sound effects was less clearly defined (the gunshots just after the beginning were clearly coming from directly behind my seat in IMAX but they could have been from anywhere in the widescreen version). More surprisingly, the sound volume was significantly lower on widescreen. I was carried away by the wave of sound in the IMAX version, but that didn't happen to anything like the same extent in widescreen, and the shock when bullets hit something from out of the blue was much less startling as a consequence. Also the continuous music didn't keep me on the edge of my seat to anything like the same extent as in the IMAX version.

To sum up, the sound on the IMAX version was at least as mindblowing as the video and well worth the extra admission price just for that. The widescreen version was led by the video with the sound more in a support role.

So two very different experiences, but both very enjoyable.

Return to “General Discussion”