In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving...

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

quiritus

RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving...

Post by quiritus »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

That is if Holland has not being taken by the GE, don't remember the situation but I believe NE gets like 2 units max (depending of the set used) which can usually get rolled by the GE armor.

And even if Rotterdam stays untaken for the rest of the turn, those CW units would be sorrounded and in hostile land with no retreat, facing Wermacht and Luftwaffe, so I think I never saw a CW player debarking there.

Not the same case as Belgium, where you can retreat to France, where french troops can cover your flanks, and where 3 corps and some aircraft can hold half of the land out of control of GE.
Rotterdam is a city that can be attacked from two river hexside: the Germany can attack with 17-18 attacking factors (18 per hex halved by river), against around 13 defensive point: 2a1 at best (worst if using defensive fleet support) or +8, if defender face down, assault.
the only reason for Germany to DOW Holland before Belgium is Antwerp: with CW in Rotterdam is nullified as Antwerp (thank to ZOC) in out of range

as CW i make all the time. and as Germany i don't DOW Holland if CW have two transport and two land unit ready to go in Rotterdam. only in M/A, when parà arrive Rotterdam lose relevance

i think that with the new maps attacking Belgium without attacking Holland is worst (assuming minors units are the same of now)
quiritus

Post by quiritus »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Two other things: 1. For the fans of the Bulgarian gambit, Bulgaria is changed, and also will have an extra unit I hear. 2. The Azores hex to the west of Gibraltar.

Looks like I will have to seriously consider Euro-WiFcon this year, and maybe Oktoberfest[8D]
they have yet an extra unit with Khaki in flames.

on the other side Singapore became worst (from Japan prospective) only 1 full land hex to attack: i think that this lead to a no choice for Japan than DOW before CW reinforce pacific option. Singapore with two white print and a fort hexiside is Hard in Fine, with monson/rain AND Malaya full garrisoned is impossible for Japan.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

GE can attack when both units are flipped, that's a +4 in the 2D10 One of the stacks can use one engineer, which would also give a +1 (or +2) against a city, that the GE start with, being the ENG with factors 1 or 2 , it could bring 1 or 2 units to full power crossing the river. There is a city but you can use an HQ and compensate that advantage. You can use as well the HQ support, ranging from +1 to +2 (fr. ex. Rundstedt).

And if the attacck failed you could do it again with similar possibilities if you have another HQ to restore the units except for Rundstedt. Except the HQ support.

It's not about the combat factors, it's about the modifiers.

Anyway, I agree that the CW can support and double the defending factors, but they cannot possibly hope to bomb it with all the Luftwaffe in front, that early in the game (much more and better GE planes). And the GE bombers would pass.

Supposing you only get a -1 (city) + 1 HQ against city +1 (eng against city or +2) +4 (flipped) +2 (HQ support) and a 2:1 in factors, you still get a +11 and a possible subsequent attack at maybe +7. If the Brits could double the stack strength, the GE would get a minimum of about a 1:1 , which would give a +9 to the initial attack.

All that before getting PARAs (obviously). And all that counting with the CW player leaving the fleet at sea and not letting it go under level 3. Or GE could start the turn and no shore bombardment would occur or it would be too weak to double the defender value because of the ships position (usually, unless most BBs are right there).

I admit that a +11 or +9 is not the best, and if you get the GE units flipped or you use up all your air power, that may delay Belgium, but still two CW units that early (the CW uses to have like 4 (including an HQ and a ¿garr?) in the initial deploy is a sweet hit to CW, who has a shabby production multiple (as most) early in the game.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

As an aside, the new maps will be hard-mounted [X(]
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I used to prefer hard-mounted maps, but now that I've invested in many nice sheets of plexiglass, I almost prefer paper maps. It depends on whether the mounted maps unfold completely flat or are warped. Still, it's not a big deal either way to me.

So which flavor are you guys thinking of buying? I've played only MWIF, never the board game. It'll be hard to resist the Deluxe flavor, but it's pricy.
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I used to prefer hard-mounted maps, but now that I've invested in many nice sheets of plexiglass, I almost prefer paper maps. It depends on whether the mounted maps unfold completely flat or are warped. Still, it's not a big deal either way to me.

So which flavor are you guys thinking of buying? I've played only MWIF, never the board game. It'll be hard to resist the Deluxe flavor, but it's pricy.
The key question is the other players. I find it is best with 5 who can spare a full day each weekend, a room with a large table that can be left set up for several (at least 6) months.

That gets harder later in life. Our group now lives in 2 provinces in one country and another in a different country. That leaves only MWIF or a planned vacation to set aside a full week just for the game.

Dave
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I hear you. I'd probably play boardgame-WIF only solitaire.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

No choice. For reasons mentioned in the past I have little chance of ever playing it, but I simply have to have the total package. Essentially whatever is available that I haven't got I am going to get. I can then justify the cost by telling myself I will play it one day - and if I don't get to? Well I can just get the game out from time to time and stroke the maps, caress the rule book, fiddle with the charts and get it on with the counters....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

That will probably be a faster game since you won't be scheduling those others and debating.

I am doing a 4 person Netplay (2 per team with TeamViewer) and we are probably doing about 3.5h 2 weeks per month. At the current rate, we will take more than a year, assuming we don't get stopped totally by bugs.

When we all were located in the same city, it would take about 6 months with just about every week with games for about 6-8 hours each day.

I suggest that if you are going to go for the board game, it is much more fun to bring together a group of wargamers who can make the time to spend that 6-8 hours per week over several months.

Dave
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Yes, those were the days. Every week 4 of us would play. Best fun ever. When MWIF can get to 4/5 people playing then the good old days will come back.
Playing WIF VASSAL now with 4 other players every week using Skype. Works okay but it doesn't give you data and info like MWIF does and not as fast.
Don't play with oil either. MWIF makes it so much easier along with how resources are shipped to factories.
ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

That will probably be a faster game since you won't be scheduling those others and debating.

I am doing a 4 person Netplay (2 per team with TeamViewer) and we are probably doing about 3.5h 2 weeks per month. At the current rate, we will take more than a year, assuming we don't get stopped totally by bugs.

When we all were located in the same city, it would take about 6 months with just about every week with games for about 6-8 hours each day.

I suggest that if you are going to go for the board game, it is much more fun to bring together a group of wargamers who can make the time to spend that 6-8 hours per week over several months.

Dave
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: bommerrang

Yes, those were the days. Every week 4 of us would play. Best fun ever. When MWIF can get to 4/5 people playing then the good old days will come back.
Playing WIF VASSAL now with 4 other players every week using Skype. Works okay but it doesn't give you data and info like MWIF does and not as fast.
Don't play with oil either. MWIF makes it so much easier along with how resources are shipped to factories.
warspite1

Have a look at the 4-player AAR and Reverse 4-Player AAR going on at the moment. MWIF is already bringing 4 players together and its great fun, playing with three other committed players, playing the best game ever in a relaxed, sporting, but competitive way! [:)]

Viktor_Kormel_slith

Post by Viktor_Kormel_slith »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: Courtenay

Will the collector's edition be RAW 7 or RAW 8?
warspite1

It has to be RAW 8. This is the last WIF they will ever do apparently. Finit. The End

Sure, [:D][:D][:D][;)]
Sorry, for my bad english! "Wiffing" since 1990 to the tomb!
Viktor_Kormel_slith

Post by Viktor_Kormel_slith »

By other way, there are a lot of changes in the maps and the mwif map, some of them are very logic and interesting. I would like to see in mwif but I´m afraid it is an impossible task and playing the boardgame to check it it´s not possible for me, by the moment.[:(]
Sorry, for my bad english! "Wiffing" since 1990 to the tomb!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Can't see the maps properly but although an improvement (I cannot see those hideous orange fists) the flippin' mountains are still that shiny grey colour [&:]

Why not just use the MWIF map design???

Anyway - roll on October - I can't wait to get my hands on the Collectors Edition [:)]
warspite1

Latest news is that this won't now be ready until April 2017.
warspite1

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Looks like April is now October [:(] but there is some good news - see link below:

http://www.a-d-g.com.au/blogs/news/1215 ... rs-edition

warspite1

So have any of you MWIFers ordered the Collectors Edition of WIF - or intend to? I have [:)]

Just curious......

Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Yes
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I have not but a close friend has.
ajds

Post by ajds »

I just did
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Paul
ashkpa

Post by ashkpa »

Done. KS says I am backer 202, I'm sure there are more of us out there.
Pat
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

I am tempted, but I'm afraid it will stay in the box forever. For someone who learnt WiF through MWiF I'm not sure if I would want to deal with rules which are automatically enforced by the PC game... And I don't think I would like playing in Asia with original hex scale...

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

Return to “World in Flames”