Battleground Italy: Mud, end turn, mud, end turn....

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

coolts

Battleground Italy: Mud, end turn, mud, end turn....

Post by coolts »

I'll admit I've never played the GC yet in WitW, but have played many in WitE and am used to the dreaded mud halting offensive operations for a few turns before snow, but in this scenario at least.....It's been a long, long time with nothing to do. Air ops cancelled due to weather and two 1-CV ant armies staring each other down south of Florence as mud has slashed CV's.

My railway repair units are seeing the most action.

Looking at the dominating weather screen, "rain" is here for many many momths.

Am i missing something? Should i be hitting 'end turn' till may '44? Seems poinltess.[&:]

"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix
Lovenought

RE: Battleground Italy: Mud, end turn, mud, end turn....

Post by Lovenought »

Mud should be much less of an issue in WITW, according to the manual. As I understand it, in places with poor national road values, mud is still an issue. In places with the higher national road values, mud is much less important.
coolts

Post by coolts »

I'm in Italy. In 1943. The roads are medieval!

"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: coolts

I'm in Italy. In 1943. The roads are medieval!

You think Italy has mud? Try Russia. [:D]
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Here's the weather chart from the editor. Note that with Average Roads, Italy isn't too bad in light mud (80% attack modifier). Heavy mud is still bad. You can get the high pressure system from Africa that dries things out for a few turns (giving you dry and/or light mud), but otherwise you are facing difficulty attacking in the heavy mud (not to mention issues with your airpower). Rain/mud was a huge factor in Italy and it is in the game (not as bad as Russia, but still an issue).

Attachments
weatherchart.jpg
weatherchart.jpg (698.29 KiB) Viewed 112 times
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
coolts

Post by coolts »

I've gone back to it after re-reading the weather section of the manual and the tips above and its a far more nuanced system than I'm used to in WitE where it was almost binary. Clear=go, Mud=stop. If you follow that rule in WitW you wont get anywhere!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”