War of The Roses

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

dave74

War of The Roses

Post by dave74 »

Recently been reading about the Wars of The Roses and watching the TV Series The White Queen. Are there any strategic war games out there that cover this period?

Thanks.
Lobster

RE: War of The Roses

Post by Lobster »

There was a board game when I was a kid...54 years ago. I'm quite sure if you did a search you would find ample material.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Yes I had that one, it was a fun game. May be copies on ebay if you're interested.

BOARD GAME KING MAKER WAR OF THE ROSES AVALON HILL

Kingmaker simulates the Wars of the Roses, the period of sporadic Civil War in England between 1450 and 1490. Ruled by a weak and mentally unstable king, Henry VI, demoralized by the defeat in France at the end of the Hundred Years War, and encouraged by the ambitions of Richard, Duke of York, and his sons; the country's Noble families used their large private armies in attempts to gain control of the government.

The game is based on the premise that the powerful Noble families used the Lancastrian and Yorkist princes as pawns in a greater game of gaining control of England. Players control factions using their military and political power to control and influence the royal heirs, supporting the heir in their control as king while trying to take down all of the other heirs.

Avalon Hill Complexity rating - 7
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Here's another

War of the Roses was an action hack and slash video game developed at Fatshark and released by Paradox Interactive. The game was set during the Wars of the Roses which took place in England during the 15th century. It was released on 2 October 2012.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Board games:
Blood & Roses and Crown of Roses.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

The Avalon Hill game was also ported to the computer.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Yeah I have a copy of KingMaker around here somewhere. On a floppy disk no less. [:D]
WingedIncubus

Post by WingedIncubus »

I highly recommend AH's Kingmaker. What's fun with this boardgame is that even when you are ahead with your claimant, you are never really far from losing either. Other players will make sure to plot your downfall, and one defeat on the field where your noble either dies or gets beheaded, and you must go back from the bottom.

And yet, as long as their another claimant you are never really eliminated from the game altogether, so events might go in your favour again and you may steal victory by the end. That makes for classic games. [:)]

Return to “General Discussion”