B-Mod Update

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Falken

RE: B-Mod, Last Update

Post by Falken »

Thanks Brian....

Unfortunately for me, I picked up the version of your MOD a couple of weeks ago, and don't have the heart to start over :), so I don't have all your latest changes, but I have most of your recent changes, and the game is going very well.

For anyone who is thinking about it, please try Brian's B-MOD. I've been a fan of Brian's work since the early days of CHS vs BMOD in the old WITP days, and have been using a version of his MOD since AE started.

Unlike many MODs, Brian does not add OOB changes as the main focal point, so the MOD can easily be played by anyone who enjoys Scenario 1, but Brian's work has modified basically anything affecting Combat, really makes a difference in the "reality" of combat results.

Although I also really enjoy RA's BTS, DBB, and most recently, LST's mod, this one is quite special.

Biggest change is obviously China. Even though the version I downloaded does not include his latest major revisions of CHINA guarisson requirements, I can tell you that CHINA is not longer a cake walk. Unlike other MODS, you cannot really hope to simply steamroll in CHINA unless you are willing to remove many LCUs from the Pacific. Remove too much from the units already in CHINA is also just asking for trouble.

It's a very well balanced MOD that doesn't make the game easier for either the Allies or Japan, but does make it realistic in Combat, and overall war results.

Give Brian's mod a chance... You will not regret it.
Big B

Post by Big B »

Thank you Falken for the kind words.
I have tried hard to be fair, but realistic.
My Mod is not a Fan-Boy Mod for either side... I have tried hard to not make it so -
But I also understand fully a lot of players won't like some of the difficulties.

ORIGINAL: Falken

Thanks Brian....

Unfortunately for me, I picked up the version of your MOD a couple of weeks ago, and don't have the heart to start over :), so I don't have all your latest changes, but I have most of your recent changes, and the game is going very well.

For anyone who is thinking about it, please try Brian's B-MOD. I've been a fan of Brian's work since the early days of CHS vs BMOD in the old WITP days, and have been using a version of his MOD since AE started.

Unlike many MODs, Brian does not add OOB changes as the main focal point, so the MOD can easily be played by anyone who enjoys Scenario 1, but Brian's work has modified basically anything affecting Combat, really makes a difference in the "reality" of combat results.

Although I also really enjoy RA's BTS, DBB, and most recently, LST's mod, this one is quite special.

Biggest change is obviously China. Even though the version I downloaded does not include his latest major revisions of CHINA guarisson requirements, I can tell you that CHINA is not longer a cake walk. Unlike other MODS, you cannot really hope to simply steamroll in CHINA unless you are willing to remove many LCUs from the Pacific. Remove too much from the units already in CHINA is also just asking for trouble.

It's a very well balanced MOD that doesn't make the game easier for either the Allies or Japan, but does make it realistic in Combat, and overall war results.

Give Brian's mod a chance... You will not regret it.
Falken

Post by Falken »

Hi Brian,

I think I've asked you this before, and if I have, my apologies.

I just realized that I've been using the "gnarly" roads version of the map pwhexe, the same one that is on your site. I've been looking at some old threads lately, and there was a discussion in one of them about the "gnarly" roads and its impact to supply in a old DBB thread.

At one point, I think you mention that the "gnarly" version actually stops supply from flowing correctly from base to base in China.

Is that still true, and should I switch to the Stacked Limit NON "gnarly" version (i think it's 2014 dated on DBB's site).

Anyway,, hopefully, this makes sense to you. If not, then i'm losing my mind, and don't worry about it :)

Dave...
Falken

Post by Falken »

Brian...

My bad... forgot to mention that my question above is in relation to your mod B-MOD. I only referenced DBB because that's where the thread was....
Big B

Post by Big B »

Hi Falken,

I can't say what affects what on the extended map with certainty - I have played two different PBEM's one With DaBabes Gnarley Asian Roads and No Stacking Limits, then another Without DaBabes Gnarley Asian Roads ... but With Stacking Limits.
Both extended map.

In both cases I have seen severe supply issues getting supply south of Chunking ...maybe it's just an Extended Map problem - I haven't played it with a stock map.

At this point I don't know what the solution would be.... more gameplay is needed under wider circumstances, or perhaps someone with map knowledge can say if there are some built-in supply sinks on the extended map.

I really need to copy the entire scenario to a standard map to see if there are different results on the standard map....that would point the finger directly at the Extended Map files.

NB

Hi Brian,

I think I've asked you this before, and if I have, my apologies.

I just realized that I've been using the "gnarly" roads version of the map pwhexe, the same one that is on your site. I've been looking at some old threads lately, and there was a discussion in one of them about the "gnarly" roads and its impact to supply in a old DBB thread.

At one point, I think you mention that the "gnarly" version actually stops supply from flowing correctly from base to base in China.

Is that still true, and should I switch to the Stacked Limit NON "gnarly" version (i think it's 2014 dated on DBB's site).

Anyway,, hopefully, this makes sense to you. If not, then i'm losing my mind, and don't worry about it :)

Dave...
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

What could work is upping the developement level (port+airfield) in Changsha, so its port is bigger than the Chungking's one. Then, all surplus will flow to Changsha. Chungking will still attract supply because it has the static command HQ sitting there.
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

In both cases I have seen severe supply issues getting supply south of Chunking ...maybe it's just an Extended Map problem - I haven't played it with a stock map.

At this point I don't know what the solution would be.... more gameplay is needed under wider circumstances, or perhaps someone with map knowledge can say if there are some built-in supply sinks on the extended map.

There shouldn't be any difference between the stock map and the extended map in that area.
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Big B

Post by Big B »

I made an adjustment to AA.
After playing through a long time - I made an adjustment to AA to bring it back in line with historical results.
No one 'lost', but the Allies benefited a bit more.
Adjustments were made based on a single scale of shell weight, velocity, & detonation charge, and ROF/Accuracy.

B

EDIT:I am also happy to report that the previous changes to the US Mk14 torpedo has now proven to be accurately representative of USN Fleetboat performance in 141, 1942, and 1943 - it coincides nicely in PBEM with historical JANAC results during the same periods of WW2...without selecting Reliable USN Torpedoes 'On'.
Anomander Rake

Post by Anomander Rake »

I play (played?) this mod. AA guns work good, and allied AA destroyed me mass of planes. China changes I also evaluate as good.
But aircraft guns enhancement together with Japanese pilots experience improvement spoils this mod.
My Oscars was something like Corsairs. My Nates in China fought against american mercenaries like equal to equal.
My oponent must have been nervous but I was also disliked.
(sorry for my English anyway)
My english isn't very good, sorry for it.
dwbradley

Post by dwbradley »

ORIGINAL: Anomander Rake

I play (played?) this mod. AA guns work good, and allied AA destroyed me mass of planes. China changes I also evaluate as good.
But aircraft guns enhancement together with Japanese pilots experience improvement spoils this mod.
My Oscars was something like Corsairs. My Nates in China fought against american mercenaries like equal to equal.
My oponent must have been nervous but I was also disliked.
(sorry for my English anyway)

I am Anomander's opponent. There is much to like about this mod but I think we are both in agreement that the uprating of the Nate, Oscar (and others?) guns is a bit over the top. The most prominent example I can cite is the above mentioned encounters between Oscars and the AVG. The AVG has been getting shredded. Yes, they were on the receiving end of sweeps and the IJA pilots were undoubtedly of high quality but it still seems excessive. Perhaps it is working as intended and I am simply not managing my air assets well enough. Very much in the realm of possibility. But when your opponent starts questioning his own victories it is worth taking a good look at what is going on, in my opinion.

To Big B: Thanks for all the hard work in producing this mod. I hope my comments are taken as intended, that is, as helpful and constructive.

Cheers
Dave Bradley
Big B

Post by Big B »

I really appreciate your post, Thank you!

What I have done is reloaded the scenario (199) to the website after looking it over, I did find an irregularity in the Type 89 MG, so I corrected it.
I also uploaded a new alternative scenario - 198.
This new scenario is exactly the same as the existing scenario 199, except the machine gun bonus has been removed.

So if you wish to re-download and give it another try - you have options now.

Again, thank you very much for the post!

Happy Holidays!
Anomander Rake

Post by Anomander Rake »

I also thank you for your work of course. I have one question - is there a your mod version with changes in China and reduced capacity of ships?
My english isn't very good, sorry for it.
Big B

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: Anomander Rake

I also thank you for your work of course. I have one question - is there a your mod version with changes in China and reduced capacity of ships?

No, I don't reduce shipping capacity - as I think this is not the way to go - if one is looking to slow down pace of operations....it's a quick-fix of sorts, but I don't subscribe to it as the best way to go....
Falken

Post by Falken »

Brian..

I had just used your version of BMOD for a new solo game that was out just before this latest update. Since it updated the wpa/wpc/wpg files, do I need to restart my turn 1 to pick up those changes?

Dave...
Falken

Post by Falken »

Brian,,

You can skip that last question... I was only half way through turn 1, so decided to simply restart.

Thanks anyways.
Big B

Post by Big B »

Gee, that was the easiest question I ever had to answer.... :)

Glad you restarted - I took advantage of US87891'S last post on Chinese OOB to do a minor update.
It will be even better [;)]

Brian,,

You can skip that last question... I was only half way through turn 1, so decided to simply restart.

Thanks anyways.
Falken

Post by Falken »

Hey Brian,

Can you do me a favor and check the 198 zip file on your site. I keep getting a corrupted file error when trying to extract. 199 was good though. No issues for 199.

Thanks
Big B

Post by Big B »

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
I'll take down 198 until I am certain there is no issue. [;)]

Hey Brian,

Can you do me a favor and check the 198 zip file on your site. I keep getting a corrupted file error when trying to extract. 199 was good though. No issues for 199.

Thanks
cardas

Post by cardas »

ORIGINAL: Big B
I'll take down 198 until I am certain there is no issue.

WinRAR didn't extract it for me for whatever reason, 7-Zip did though without any problems.
Falken

Post by Falken »

Thanks Brian... It's good now.. Was able to download and extract......

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”