Polish OOB 1939 (Horse Artillery and Armored Trains)

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

pawelwj

Polish OOB 1939 (Horse Artillery and Armored Trains)

Post by pawelwj »

I have been a Campaign Series, or should say East Front/West Front game since the very beginning.

As I communicated with Jason on FB, I found some issues with the Polish 1939 OOB, particularly with the Horse Artillery.

In the Battalion list the Horse Artillery Batteries are equipped with 65mm wz.06 Mountain Gun, which is incorrect. They should be equipped with 75mm wz.02/26, otherwise
Polish Cavalry Brigades are at more disadvantage then they already are.

Currently there is only a 2 gun unit of 75mm wz.02/26 in the platoon list. This is fine if we want to show a platoon, which represented half of a battery,
however platoon list usually lists artillery batteries, and in Polish Horse Artillery in 1939 the batteries consisted of 4 guns (2 platoons),
so I think that a 4 gun unit for 75mm wz.02/26 guns should be added to the list and called "battery".

The actual name of the Horse Artillery Battery unit in the battalion list in Polish is "dywisjon", which translates in English to Squadron.
So I would change the name to Horse Artillery Squadron.

Further looking in the OOB of the Cavalry Brigades I found some discrepancies in allocation of regiments
and thus the number of art batteries in each Artillery Squadron:

Mazowiecka BK 1H, 7L, 11L, 4R 1 Horse Art Sq. (4 battery) 2 Eng. Sq.
Wolynska BK 19L, 21L, 2R 2 Horse Art Sq. (3 battery) 8 Eng. Sq.
Wilenska BK 4L, 13L, 23L 3 Horse Art Sq. (3 battery) 7 Eng. Sq.
Suwalska BK 3H, 1L, 2L 4 Horse Art Sq. (3 battery) 11 Eng. Sq.
Krakowska BK 3L, 8L, 5R 5 Horse Art Sq. (3 battery) 5 Eng. Sq.
Podolska BK 6L, 9L, 14L 6 Horse Art Sq. (3 battery) 6 Eng. Sq.
Wielkopolska BK 15L, 17L, 7R 7 Horse Art Sq. (3 battery) 3 Eng. Sq.
Nowogródzka BK 25L, 26L, 27L, 3R 9 Horse Art Sq. (4 battery) 9 Eng. Sq.
Pomorska BK 2H, 16L, 18L, 8R 11 Horse Art Sq. (4 battery) 10 Eng. Sq.
Kresowa BK 12L, 20L, 22L, 6R 13 Horse Art Sq. (4 battery) 4 Eng. Sq.
Podlaska BK 5L, 10L, 9R 14 Horse Art Sq. (3 battery) 1 Eng. Sq.

L - lancers, H - Light Horse, R - Horse Rifles

Armoured Train:

Poland fielded a number of Armoured Trains in 1939, and they played a significant role in number of engagements, however the Armoured Train in the game is not very strong.
Although there were number of types, for the purpose of the game the unit should have represent the fire-power of 2 x 75mm wz.02/26 gun and 2 x 100mm howitzer plus
6-8 machine guns in any direction, and 2 machine guns anti-air. Obviously it should have the indirect file capability.
The current train has a straight of 6, but perhaps a better solution would be to have it reduced to 2, each representing one artillery car, but with better protection.
That way it can be knocked out quickly if not careful, but it would only be with heavy weapon or a close assault (Pzkfz I or II or even III wouldn't do).

Hope this helps for the next version of the game.

Best Regards

Pawel Jakubowski

Jason Petho

RE: Polish OOB 1939 (Horse Artillery and Armored Trains)

Post by Jason Petho »

Absolutely brilliant, Pawel!!

Thank you very much!
Jason Petho
pawelwj

RE: Polish OOB 1939 (Horse Artillery and Armored Trains)

Post by pawelwj »

Also on the subject of Armored trains, they did carry an infantry platoon of about 32 men, so the ability to carry passengers might be considered. For that an Armored train infantry platoon unit with the straight 3-4. created.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”