Observations

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

dhucul2011

Observations

Post by dhucul2011 »

I haven't posted in awhile but have been playing as the Axis on Veteran recently and have noticed the following:

1. Soviet morale stays way too high. It should be allowed to drop somewhat more in 1941 and 1942 and then be given bonuses in 1943 and 1944. Right now it is quite impossible to advance to anywhere near historical positions due to the constant high morale of the USSR units as well as all of the bonus units that they get. Even in Spring 1942 when I took Moscow it tells me that the USSR suffers a big drop in morale but, in fact, it barely moves off of the maximum. The fall of Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad should see higher morale hits. Maybe also make Riga, Odessa and Minsk NM objectives. In addition, when the Axis DOW the USSR there should be a "Stalin shocked at German Invasion" event with a large morale hit.
2. When Bulgaria joins, the following turn I get a "Bulgaria moves capital to Sofia" popup?
3. Spain is too easily convinced to join. Its quite common to have Spain join in 1941 if I just throw a few chits at it here and there. I would also suggest that once the USA joins then Spain should move away from the Axis quite significantly.
4. The AI performs D-Day every single time in 1943. Could this be randomized a little more? If there is no D-Day in 1943 then maybe Norway or even Spain if it is Axis?
nnason

RE: Observations

Post by nnason »

These are good AI observations.
1. Agree but game is supposed to get harder.
2. I don't remember seeing this.
3. I agree but this is important to stay the same at more difficult levels to keep some balance.
4. Only once has the allies tried something different. Then they went into N Africa. with Spain gone I would have thought would go there.

5. In playing human it is way way to easy for allies to launch spoiling amphib attacks. The German has to defend every one or spoiling becomes real thing. Suggest big morale penalty to an anphib attack that fails by anything other than a special forces. And number of attacks needs to be limited by time or distance or something.
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

1. I feel the same, as when executing a Barbarossa and seeing that you are up against a USSR with at or near 100% Morale doesn't feel right.
2. I have never seen this either.
3. Agree, and I have posted this before and I guess it is worth posting again. Franco wasn't going to join Hitler unless it looked like England was definitely going out. I feel like all of the Spanish influences should be reduced and one should be added for London being Axis occupied. London doesn't normally trigger a UK surrender, but in game terms it would be an indication of how the war is going.
4. I see similar computer actions. Now that I know that the Allied computer will generally only land at Brittany/Normandy, or Southwest England [if Axis occupied], the computer Allied attempts to invade are easy to combat.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

ORIGINAL: dhucul

I haven't posted in awhile but have been playing as the Axis on Veteran recently and have noticed the following:

1. Soviet morale stays way too high. It should be allowed to drop somewhat more in 1941 and 1942 and then be given bonuses in 1943 and 1944. Right now it is quite impossible to advance to anywhere near historical positions due to the constant high morale of the USSR units as well as all of the bonus units that they get. Even in Spring 1942 when I took Moscow it tells me that the USSR suffers a big drop in morale but, in fact, it barely moves off of the maximum. The fall of Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad should see higher morale hits. Maybe also make Riga, Odessa and Minsk NM objectives. In addition, when the Axis DOW the USSR there should be a "Stalin shocked at German Invasion" event with a large morale hit.
2. When Bulgaria joins, the following turn I get a "Bulgaria moves capital to Sofia" popup?
3. Spain is too easily convinced to join. Its quite common to have Spain join in 1941 if I just throw a few chits at it here and there. I would also suggest that once the USA joins then Spain should move away from the Axis quite significantly.
4. The AI performs D-Day every single time in 1943. Could this be randomized a little more? If there is no D-Day in 1943 then maybe Norway or even Spain if it is Axis?

Hi David

Thanks for the feedback. To help us with point 2, can I ask what version you're playing?

From memory there was a rare bug but I believe it was fixed some time back, and as we have a beta patch currently being tested it would be great to know if this an historic problem or not.

Thanks

Bill
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: nnason

5. In playing human it is way way to easy for allies to launch spoiling amphib attacks. The German has to defend every one or spoiling becomes real thing. Suggest big morale penalty to an anphib attack that fails by anything other than a special forces. And number of attacks needs to be limited by time or distance or something.

^^^This

Also, as one of my opponents recently pointed out, there is no real penalty to the UK or USA in-game from suffering from high casualties (e.g. through spoiling invasions) - in WW2 both countries were much more sensitive to human losses than either the USSR or even Germany. There was public outcry in both UK and Canada about the failed Dieppe Raid, for example. Perhaps there should be more of an impact on National Morale for losses by the Western Allies, even for units with more than 5 supply, maybe even for just step losses?

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Leadwieght

Post by Leadwieght »

I agree with Oxford Guy. It's a bit too easy for the Western Allies to prop up the Russian front by launching suicide invasions every 6-8 months starting as early as 1942.

I'm just in the process of completing a very ugly victory as the Allies. I launched no fewer than THREE cross-Channel attacks. The first one I thought might actually succeed; the second two were strictly "Himmelfahrtskommando." This tactic saved the Russians' bacon by drawing off a good bit of the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe, but I think US and British strategists would never have been allowed to do something like this.
IrishGuards

Post by IrishGuards »

Oxford guy and Leadweight have valid points as well as the others mentioned.
as far as russia's morale, biggest issue I see is that the "purge" has no effect by 41'
if the allies land 4 units in 41 its seen as d-day and russian morale increases, immediately?
the pre war years allows the allies to effect the russian diplomacy% way to much
IG
[X(]
nnason

Post by nnason »

Realism vice playability vice realism vice playability and beta testers to see how changes affect playability is a developer conundrum!

We all want game to be more realistic and for AI to be more challenging.

There definitely needs to be a penalty for sacrificial attacks except by Special forces. Something like every until killed hurts allied morale and helps axis morale in a significant way except for special forces.

And I am now at 30 Oct 1942 and allies did invade North Africa so does happen (for me second time.)

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”