Quick question about interdiction air missions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Lovenought

Quick question about interdiction air missions

Post by Lovenought »

A lot of the time, my smaller sorties report "+0 Ground Interdiction". Is it literally doing nothing, or does the interface just round up/down? Are the missions actually doing 0.05 Interdiction or something?

If small missions don't count at all, doesn't this mean you have to make absolutely sure that only large groups of more than 60 aircraft do Interdiction sorties?
EddyBear81

RE: Quick question about interdiction air missions

Post by EddyBear81 »

I have noticed it as well. I think it has no value at all, so 2 x 0 = 0 in any case.

I don't think it is due "only" to raid size. Think of it like "mission aborted", which does not depend on number of planes. It can happen for other air missions as well (eg. Bomb Cities)

A couple of general rules for Interdiction missions:
- Try not to be too ambitious : focus on a few key hexes (even with "0" area missions) rather than trying to blanket a wide area
- Pay a lot of attention to enemy flak which will really disrupt mission effectiveness. Target where the enemy will be, not where is is now
- Base aircraft as close as possible to the targeted hexes, it will also help a lot improving effectiveness
Lovenought

Post by Lovenought »

ORIGINAL: EddyBear81

I have noticed it as well. I think it has no value at all, so 2 x 0 = 0 in any case.

I don't think it is due "only" to raid size. Think of it like "mission aborted", which does not depend on number of planes. It can happen for other air missions as well (eg. Bomb Cities)

A couple of general rules for Interdiction missions:
- Try not to be too ambitious : focus on a few key hexes (even with "0" area missions) rather than trying to blanket a wide area
- Pay a lot of attention to enemy flak which will really disrupt mission effectiveness. Target where the enemy will be, not where is is now
- Base aircraft as close as possible to the targeted hexes, it will also help a lot improving effectiveness

That is all really good advice, thank you! I'll try to keep all those lessons in mind next time I fight!
Lovenought

Post by Lovenought »

Ok, I've played a bunch more and I've come to the conclusion that it absolutely is necessary to mandate a reasonably large sortie size, or else you are just wasting your time. 100 or more bombers is what I aim for now.

Of course those other factors are still important. But even the most ideal 20-bomber mission will usually do absolutely nothing of value.
EddyBear81

Post by EddyBear81 »

Are you using Level Bombers for Interdiction missions ? If yes, be aware that they are waaaaay less effective than Fighter-Bombers.

I very rarely use them in these kind of missions. They have so much else to do : bombing depots (ports and railyards), units (before assault), airfields (useful before invasions), V-Weapons launch sites, ground support missions (even if of dubious efficiency)... and that's for twin engined planes. Four engines are for strategic bombing and you have plenty of targets for this !

Whit Fighter-Bombers, small raids like you mentioned should work well... if you really carpet the area. Personally, I set the intensity manually to 999 raids per day, meaning that every squadron will fly to 100%. I It uses morale pretty quick, but then I rotate air groups so I maintain some acceptable level of activity.
EddyBear81

Post by EddyBear81 »

Are you using Level Bombers for Interdiction missions ? If yes, be aware that they are waaaaay less effective than Fighter-Bombers.

I very rarely use them in these kind of missions. They have so much else to do : bombing depots (ports and railyards), units (before assault), airfields (useful before invasions), V-Weapons launch sites, ground support missions (even if of dubious efficiency)... and that's for twin engined planes. Four engines are for strategic bombing and you have plenty of targets for this !

Whit Fighter-Bombers, small raids like you mentioned should work well... if you really carpet the area. Personally, I set the intensity manually to 999 raids per day, meaning that every squadron will fly to 100%. I It uses morale pretty quick, but then I rotate air groups so I maintain some acceptable level of activity.
Lovenought

Post by Lovenought »

ORIGINAL: EddyBear81

Oh, damn. I didn't know that.

Yeah, I've been using Level Bombers. Usually I allocate all my tactical air HQs to supporting the Front, and so the only spare Air HQ I have left for fancy stuff like interdiction is the Strategic Air HQ. This is in scenarios, FYI. Haven't played in a Campaign yet.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”