WitE 2

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

RedLancer

RE: WitE 2

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

How about swamps so realistic you can feel the mud? [:D]

If you have an idea PM me. I've been experimenting with improved swamp terrain but I've not found anything better.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

ORIGINAL: Zorch

How about swamps so realistic you can feel the mud? [:D]

If you have an idea PM me. I've been experimenting with improved swamp terrain but I've not found anything better.
I'm quite happy with WitW graphics. It's not a big deal to me - I'd rather the effort was put into aspects.
xxCLASHxx

Post by xxCLASHxx »

Wow just been reading a huge chunk of this thread, some great debates going on for WitE 2. There is always a lot of maths involved with this type of game and therefore it is feasible that once you have found a working formula you could win verses AI each time. I appreciate that playing a person changes that but for many it will remain the AI.

My question and first post in the forum is this - Is there a way of FOW throwing up variances that would be influential enough to prevent a formula win but yet still be simulatory realistic - A simulation usually represents as closely as possible the actual realism of the day, so adding in unexpected random factors may veer from this.

I say this understanding that you can crank up the bias for either side but what if there was an option for a different way to tax the player v AI where perhaps units were deployed differently or bad Stalin or Hitler decisions were changed. What if you play as Russia and the 6th army does not stay and perish but actually retreats in good time and good order.

I always wonder how it would of effected Germany if they had not paused on the destruction of the BEF at Dunkirk and whether this would have released units to the Eastern front later in the war.

Thanks - Shaun
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

WitE 2 has an events system where you can add occurrences that then impact elements of the game such as unit withdrawals, available APs etc. The conditions for events to be triggered are not just time related but also geographical and player related. There is also the ability to add a probability to the event occurring. This provides the scope for much more flexibility in gameplay.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

I am curious how broad this system could be. For example could it track diplomacy? I know one of Hitler's reasons for holding on to the Crimea for as long as possible was to entice Turkey to join the war. Even if not coding in Turkish armed units could you have a scenario where Axis supply could come in through the South Caucasus. Or if the Axis reach a broad stretch of the Volga could this trigger a Japanese attack on Russia (meaning units heading East?) Will this events system be modifiable in the editor?

I appreciate that WitE is not meant to be a game with diplomacy etc involved, but it is interesting to see how much other possibilities could be recreated.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

The system is pretty broad in its scope and probably can do at least some of what you suggest - not sure about supply through Caucasus. We already have events that mimic the events in the West to regulate how much you need to put into the Theatre Boxes. You can do the same for the Soviets. It is absolutely editable.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
xxCLASHxx

Post by xxCLASHxx »

Thank you Red Lancer - that sounds really interesting, I often wondered why Japan did not leave the US alone and carve Russia up with Germany.
Omat

Post by Omat »

Hello

Mybe one reason was the battle of Battles of Khalkhin Gol...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Khalkhin_Gol

Omat

ORIGINAL: xxCLASHxx

Thank you Red Lancer - that sounds really interesting, I often wondered why Japan did not leave the US alone and carve Russia up with Germany.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: xxCLASHxx

You can always get Gary's World at War: A World Divided which is a global WWII strategy game (like Axis & Allies but on steroids). It allows you to explore possibilities like the one you mention. It's on sale for another day or two as part of the Digital Board Game sale. It's nothing like War in the East though.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
xxCLASHxx

Post by xxCLASHxx »

Japan - Russia

Yes this was a really interesting read and explains much, of course it was also noteworthy to see the appearance of Zhukov too.
miv792

Post by miv792 »

1.I do not know whether it was mentioned, but I would very much like to put the mouse on the air base and see the text to whom this air base is subordinated.
Не знаю упоминалось ли, но очень бы хотелось навести мышь на авиабазу и видеть текст кому эта авиабаза подчинена.
2.Also it would be desirable to completely disconnect the air battle with reconnaissance for both sides. Too tiring and insignificant.
Также было бы желательно полностью отключить воздушное сражение с разведкой для обеих сторон. Слишком утомительно и незначительно.
Sorry for my english
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: miv79
2.Also it would be desirable to completely disconnect the air battle with reconnaissance for both sides. Too tiring and insignificant.
Также было бы желательно полностью отключить воздушное сражение с разведкой для обеих сторон. Слишком утомительно и незначительно.

It is possible to set the message level to 1 or less to not see any battle results from recon. And you can do your sides whole recon by pressing AI in the air recon mode i.e. one click to do the lot. Getting the AI to do your recon with the message level 1 on, even if not eliminating recon from the air war, will reduce it to mere seconds.
miv792

Post by miv792 »

ORIGINAL: Telemecus
It is possible to set the message level to 1 or less to not see any battle results from recon. And you can do your sides whole recon by pressing AI in the air recon mode i.e. one click to do the lot. Getting the AI to do your recon with the message level 1 on, even if not eliminating recon from the air war, will reduce it to mere seconds.
The problem is that when you press 1, why then the air attacks are also not visible, not counting the recon.
Sorry for my english
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

In the WitW Air Directive Summary Screen you can toggle in the far right column (Exec Detail) whether it shows during the phase. Set ADs you don't want to see to NONE.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

The problem is that when you press 1, why then the air attacks are also not visible, not counting the recon.

Are you sure? When I press 1 I can see all air missions except recon?

During your action phase you can toggle to 1 for when you do recon and back up again afterwards?
miv792

Post by miv792 »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer
In the WitW Air Directive Summary Screen you can toggle in the far right column (Exec Detail) whether it shows during the phase. Set ADs you don't want to see to NONE.
How else would this be done for the enemy :)
I just want to see the bombing of enemies, without seeing their scouts.
Sorry for my english
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

How else would this be done for the enemy :)
I just want to see the bombing of enemies, without seeing their scouts.

Do you mean in the battle results mode when you click on battles to see what happened, rather than watching it as it happens? There I agree it would be nice to filter out the recon battles and see everything else alone.
miv792

Post by miv792 »

Meant when there is a window with a fight, when the enemy mustangs fly on a reconnaissance mission. Although I pressed the key 2, with the key 1 there is no battlefield with bombers. Although your idea is also good, because it's also not very good when you see so much intelligence :)
Sorry for my english
RforRush

Post by RforRush »

Will there still be script in WitE2 generating additional retreat casualties for Soviet player till start of September? It doesn't look realistic in a way implemented now in WitE1.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

I don't know but I don't think so. I say this because things change weekly.

I think I should stress once again that WitE2 is very, very different from both WitE and WitW. For a start the combat engine has been completely redone by Gary and Jim (Jaw) has redone the data based on his Steel Tigers work.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”