This game doesn't work right.

John Tiller's Battleground Series is a Hall of Fame lineup of games covering the Civil War and Napoleonic Wars. We've compiled these classic games into two new affordable collections, incorporating updated versions of these legendary titles. Incredible historical gameplay and great value!
bc1328

This game doesn't work right.

Post by bc1328 »

BGCW
The game tells you that you are too far away yet it can shoot you.
Game won't let you stack yet it stacks.
The game fires it's cannon long range and hit's you yet you never hit them.
The game is stacked against you which is a bummer because I really liked it and I went ahead and ordered Napoleonic Wars also.

Brad
Brad
zakblood

RE: This game sucks

Post by zakblood »

maybe incorrect title, just maybe not to your taste[:(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
bc1328

Post by bc1328 »

How can a game that messes up like that be to anybodies taste?[&:] I had high hopes for these two games, that was why I bought both games. Do you have any of these games?

Brad
Brad
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes i have almost all the games from here, i collect them (war games), play them, review them, and try and help others with any of them with the latest windows versions etc

plus test as many of them before release etc, this one wasn't one of mine though, too long ago for me
bc1328

Post by bc1328 »

Well pay 29.99 for a game, then have it run like that. That's $60.00 down the drain. I realize that as old has they are that there might be some problems but not like this. The game shouldn't be for sale. Why nobody else has voiced these problems I don't know.

Brad
Brad
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

plenty still play and love it, and still out there in club form etc[:(]
bc1328

Post by bc1328 »

To each his own I guess.
Brad
Yogi the Great

RE: This game doesn't work right.

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: bradclark

BGCW
The game tells you that you are too far away yet it can shoot you.
Game won't let you stack yet it stacks.
The game fires it's cannon long range and hit's you yet you never hit them.
The game is stacked against you which is a bummer because I really liked it and I went ahead and ordered Napoleonic Wars also.

Brad

Brad I don't think I can probably help you but just in case I decided to post. First I use to have some of the original Tiller battleground games (they were sold individually if I remember right) Later I obtained about seven of his updated Civil War Campaign games. I do not have the Matrix John Tiller's Battleground series.

On your first question, is it possible the units that you are too far from but shoot at you have better weapons? Some muskets are only good at very short range while other types of civil war weapons could fire at a longer range.

On the stacking if you mean the game doesn't ever allow more than one unit for you, but allows the AI to maintain stacks at all times, I can't help you. I seem to recall though that arriving units are often stacked until moved.

I enjoyed the original Tiller Battleground games but he later did switch to the campaign format so Campaign Gettysburg doesn't just have Gettysburg but other scenarios leading up to it and affected by your decisions. Interesting is that you may never actually fight Gettysburg in campaign mode because your decisions and/or results of the way there ends up with a major battle somewhere other than Gettysburg. Anyway some of these can still be purchased through HPS but I suggest you look at Tiller's own site as they have the latest versions and update ability. although they only sell digital downloads no boxed versions.

I'll put in one plug for Matrix, if you really like Civil War try Brother Against Brother.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

+1[:D]
bc1328

Post by bc1328 »

Hi Yogi, muskets ranges are 2 and rifles are 5. Very few Union troops have muskets while Confederate forces have more than a few that are muskets. The problems I'm having right now anyway are rifle troops.
Once you break a stack and put in line abreast you will not be able to stack again unless they are in march mode.
I visited Tillers site yesterday he doesn't have any games that go that far back in time.
Brad
Three63

Post by Three63 »

My Napoleon BG game was working right then after I try to start a new scn. Fog of War does not work at all! Please someone help!
Three63 of The Blitz Wargaming Club
http://www.theblitz.org/
bc1328

Post by bc1328 »

Mine does the same thing but I've given up on the game.
You could do a search of the forum for Fog Of War
Brad
Hyding

Post by Hyding »

ORIGINAL: bc1328

Hi Yogi, muskets ranges are 2 and rifles are 5. Very few Union troops have muskets while Confederate forces have more than a few that are muskets. The problems I'm having right now anyway are rifle troops.
Once you break a stack and put in line abreast you will not be able to stack again unless they are in march mode.
I visited Tillers site yesterday he doesn't have any games that go that far back in time.

Actually stacking is limited by the number of guns and men in a hex. you can get a large number of units in a hex if they are small or maybe just one if the two units you are trying to stack exceed 1000 men total.

Return to “John Tiller's Battleground Series”