Desktop keeps popping up while game is running

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Capt Cliff

Desktop keeps popping up while game is running

Post by Capt Cliff »

I am using WIN 10 and now I have the problem that the desktop keep popping up while the game is running, somethings only a quarter of the screen is affected. I am running the most recent Beta and have the current recommended switches. Any suggestion as to how to stop this?
Capt. Cliff
Disco Duck

RE: Desktop keeps popping up while game is running

Post by Disco Duck »

I had a problem like that on my system that is running windows 8.1
tm.asp?m=4132111&mpage=1&key=&#4132111

I ended up doing a complete system wipe and and reinstalling. That took care of it for awhile but now it seems to be coming back.

There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I had this on my WIN10 laptop. I turned off Always On Top (Bottom right of your screen). Problem solved for me.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I graphics mismatch somewhere. You can run in windowed mode...and solve it I believe. Just make your window really big!
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Make note of the time when it happens then Check your Event Viewer and look for events that happened at that time.

It will usually be something not even related with the game.

Attachments
9548E72.jpg
9548E72.jpg (204.14 KiB) Viewed 957 times

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

And now, with no changes made on my behalf, this is happening on my laptop WIN10. I'm still dinking around trying to find a cure, but it has made the game all but unplayable on my laptop. Interestingly, I don't have this problem on my desktop, also running 10. Very curious [&:]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

And now, with no changes made on my behalf, this is happening on my laptop WIN10. I'm still dinking around trying to find a cure, but it has made the game all but unplayable on my laptop. Interestingly, I don't have this problem on my desktop, also running 10. Very curious [&:]
It is something else on the system taking focus and bringing you back to the desktop. Usually it is something like anti-virus. There does not have to be any change on your part. Could be a change on the part of the anti-virus (or other background program, even a Microsoft one) or something that they now which to call your attention to but did not before. Just one example, many anti-virus like to pop up a message when they update virus signature files. But in switching back to the desktop the message might have "faded out" by the time video has reset enough for you to see it.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Yeah, I was planning on shutting down the WI nic, and turning off AV. This just started last night, so I have not had a lot of time to mess with it. I just toyed with it a bit watching the Texans get beat. I am thinking it's a unique app on the laptop. I have the same AV on both, both are Win10, and (to the best of my knowledge), neither patched over the weekend. If shutting down external influences doesn't help, I'll do a stare & compare on both machines & try to find the culprit.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Disabled AV, the Nvidea updater, the Adobe background updater, Microsoft background updater, disabled the WI-NIC, disabled sound, ran as admin, set to always on top...still popping up & down. I'll try Mak's suggestion this afternoon.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Disabled AV, the Nvidea updater, the Adobe background updater, Microsoft background updater, disabled the WI-NIC, disabled sound, ran as admin, set to always on top...still popping up & down. I'll try Mak's suggestion this afternoon.
Ask your wife if she can help with the "Always on Top" setting ...
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Ask your wife if she can help with the "Always on Top" setting ...

Not on your life. Have you seen my wife?!? [X(] Why do you think I play PC games!! [:'(][:D]
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Interestingly enough, it was the Bluetooth app. Who woulda thunk it? [&:]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Interestingly enough, it was the Bluetooth app. Who woulda thunk it? [&:]
Makes sense, though. Trying to notify you about pairing or something new being seen?
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

No notification, and I had it disabled. Once I turned it completely off, problem cleared. I'm thinking it was doing a discovery cycle, even disabled. If so, that is a glaring bug. But it's elk season, I haven't had time to look into it further [;)]

Return to “Tech Support”