Wishlist

The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Moderator: Jason Petho

Crossroads

RE: Wishlist

Post by Crossroads »

Good catch Jafele [:)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
verdugo94

Post by verdugo94 »

ORIGINAL: Jafele

Is it possible a more marked hex contourns, perhaps like those in JT PzBattles? This is the only thing I miss in the map.

I support this idea at least in 2D and PBEM++ :)
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: verdugo94

Is it possible a more marked hex contourns, perhaps like those in JT PzBattles? This is the only thing I miss in the map.

Yes, but see also this.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
verdugo94

Post by verdugo94 »

ORIGINAL: berto

ORIGINAL: verdugo94

Yes, but see also this.

I didnt know this, thanks you very much sir
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

A friend of mine and I like to do "wargaming" online on a weekly basis. We tried to play John Tiller Campaign Series online via IP but had trouble connecting, and we don't live in the same city anymore so we need to connect via Internet to play.

Any plans on getting the multiplayer IP connection resolved for the release of Vietnam and WWII East Front?

Huge fan of Campaign Series, and appreciate all the work to take it to even new levels. My friend and I would have a blast playing Campaign Series "live" via IP connection.

Thanks
Jeff
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Hello Jeff

Have you tried establishing a VPN connection to your friend first? The IP play works over a local network, to go over the wide area network you'd need a point to point VPN to your friends computer. That is my understanding at least. Let us know!
---
budd

Post by budd »

I don't think i mentioned this before but i was opening up a scenario and was noticing how much empty screen there is during scenario selection. Any way to expand the scenario selection box, at least make it bigger. Also how about an edit button in the scenario selection box when clicked takes you to the editor for that selected scenario, shortcut thing.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

I don't think i mentioned this before but i was opening up a scenario and was noticing how much empty screen there is during scenario selection. Any way to expand the scenario selection box, at least make it bigger. Also how about an edit button in the scenario selection box when clicked takes you to the editor for that selected scenario, shortcut thing.

Upgrading, or rather: overhauling the whole Front End experience is very high on our Wish List as well. Seconded! [:)]

Alas, with so much on our plate, not quite yet, at least not for CS:ME 2.0 I don't think.
---
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Hey Guys.... Thinking of how rain and snow can effect visibility, it would be cool to have more of a dynamic and random weather option in CS games. Maybe allowing the setup of parameters for the weather pattern for the scenario, then with each play the visibility will change during the course of a battle based on what the weather is doing.
For a large scenario, how about allowing for rain or snow and lower visibility to occur on part of the map and not another, depicting a weather front moving through? This could mean one side could have a visibility advantage over the other side for a while, but as the battle moves on, the rain or snow could move across the whole map, and so on.

One more "bright" idea, but may be a stretch. From the dawn of time, armies have used the sun as a help in warfare, preferring to attack when the sun is low and behind them. It lights up everything is front as they attack, and puts the enemy in a difficult defensive position trying to defend while looking directly into the sun.
Could this be somehow factored into CS? If the battle is occurring early in the morning or in the evening on a clear day, with north determined on the map, trying to sight and fire into the sunlight could have a modifier to detract from the accuracy?
Understand this may be trivial, but just bringing it up, and if it could be added in would possibly make the great game of CS even better.

Jeff

budd

Post by budd »

How about armor facing indicator for the 2D counters so you don't have to switch to 3D to check. Not sure how many play with armor facing so its not a big deal.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

How about armor facing indicator for the 2D counters so you don't have to switch to 3D to check. Not sure how many play with armor facing so its not a big deal.

Cheers Budd,

While facing indicators as such are not on the short list, there is now a new option to have the 3D unit images appear on 2D counters. They show the actual unit facing, such as they would do in the 3D view.

Here's a screenshot I took to Event Engine post. That's the 2D Normal view, with 2D Zoom-in view the unit images are the same size as with 3D Zoom-in.

---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

That's the 2D Normal view, with 2D Zoom-in view the unit images are the same size as with 3D Zoom-in.

... like this one from the Sirte DAR I did at Grogheads a while ago:

Attachments
7ShootandScoot.jpg
7ShootandScoot.jpg (760.54 KiB) Viewed 108 times
---
fiambre

Post by fiambre »

Hi everyone.

Im an old fan of EFII and still playing it now and then. (I dont own CSME so I might be asking things that already are on so excuse me if I do)

I come mostly from the campaigns. I love to face innumerable enemies and many battles with my units and survive and conquer. And grow. And mass my awards and so on...

From this scenario I suffer several problems.

Problem: Deployment. It takes like 1h30 to correctly setup my units for a battle at Korps level. They are completely messed around, scattered and imposible to use for battle.
Request: please optimize the initial deployment; leave the units off so I can select and set, or with right-control and click move all the units of the same battalion or regiment; let me draw on map what kind of units i want to place (INF, ARM, ART) and then system set what I have in the ORBAT accordingly to my wishes. Anything :)

Problem: the map is way too randomized: roads that go nowhere, no big rivers ever, never historical places (towns, hills, defensive lines)
Request: Maps shoule be worked much more or make less randomize and more "focused" - special Hill to be taken, roads than go from one side to the other of the map with biforcations to villages or similars, big lakes, Reasonable defensive lines made by any side, A big town to be taken or similars. I bet there is a lot one imaginative mind can do here.

Problem: Like 5 min of bombardment one by one on big battles.
Request: I know you miss some bombardment directions, some funny in-row bombarded-retreated-rebombarded-retreated-rebombarded situations, number of enemy artillery guns, etc... but would love to have an option to make all the bombardment rounds to happen on same time, like a big BOOOOOM every targeted hex. Would save lots of time and, in some way, might be much more realistic.

Problem: Hard to "reward" more my great general
Request: As i gain rank and prestige and points, would be good to add more rewards, say; selection of special units to add to my ORB, invest in more turns for ending battles, extra air attacks or offmap artillery (gustav or similar [;)]), request historical brigade support for feeding my ego, select enemy type to target or their numbers or quality for certain battles, add special commanders (heroes) to my units instead of generic commanders, etc...

Problem: I am human and I want more
Request: You might talk with the guys some forums up there and join Operational Art of War, and see if there is a way to mix both games, so they put the operational part and you guys construct the battles to be played [8D]

I might remember few more things later.

Thank you.

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Hello fiambre,

Thank you for your well considered wish list! If you think of anything else please post here. I agree they could use some TLC as you very well point out here [:)]

Campaigns updates, especially Dynamic Campaign Games which is not currently supported with CSME, might be something that hopefully start to take place within the EF release schedule.
---
Three63

Post by Three63 »

Please write into the engine for CSME 2.0 or the newer CS games that will have units actually rout rather then every unit "fighting to the death" "Spartan style".

Also why can't there be guaranteed rolls for damage to units if they have fired at the same unit for X amount turns (and are of the same quality or better then the unit they're enaged with) or if their is a huge gap in power between two enaged units? For example, I had a tank unit drive up to a AA unit and failed to damage the unit after firing at it three times while whitin 1 hex range. Why not write into the code to have a unit with certain factors that are much more then the enemy (or around the same idk), to have a guaranteed roll for damage after so many trys, like say after 3 rolls/turns the unit is enaged with a other unit they should for sure have a 1 point damage roll against the enemy after the thrid time, or even in the example I just gave have the tank have a guarante in assualt vs the AA because of the huge gap in assualt points (and with other examples maybe the tank get's a guarante in a assualt victory, but have a roll for what damage the defender gives the tanks in the guaranted assualt victory).

Also are you guys going to have Officers in each platoon factor into units attack, etc.? Why not have a Platoon that's green have a roll after first blood that will factor in their bravery etc. each turn after at a set amount?

Are you guys going to tottally redo Assualts? They're kinda funky IMHO. It's just strange when there is an assualt and both sides suffer no damage. Maybe have the unit assualting take no damage, and the unit defending take no damage, but have the attacker rout back one hex to show that they were beaten off after probe towards the enemy.

Just some ideas. Thank you for the game. CSME is great stuff
Three63 of The Blitz Wargaming Club
http://www.theblitz.org/
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Thank you for your thoughts Three63! Please keep these coming, guys.

We are wrapping up the CSME *2.0* development, and entering the testing and QA period to ensure hopefully a smooth release by the end of play 2017. This, as such, is hopefully good news.

But these are Living Games. Something to consider in next games, and in next CSME updates
---
Three63

Post by Three63 »

THank you. I really hope you guys do the guarnteed rolls. I just had a other game where a full rifle platoon took 3 turn within 1 Hex range + and assualt a motor section and they still were not wiped out or hurt at all. Here's a other idea connected to that, maybe you should have a system kind of connected to the Adpative AI (maybe a whole new option for the engine), I don't know tactics too well from real life ME battles, but maybe when certain combinations of tactical situations happen it will effect combat. Like for example when a Tank and Rifle Plattoon Assualt together with Combined Arms they get a modifer bonus or when a Rifle Platoon is getting shot at from three differing sides it effects Morale or gives a SP damge roll bonus. You know what I mean? I'm unsure how that would effect game balance or how hard it is to write in code, but you guys would figure that out I'm sure.

Also why not have Rifle Platoons have a extra ONE Hard fire turn that will cost less for the platoon or is of no cost. There are only a smaller % of men in the platoon with AT weapons. So why have the whole platoon fire at incoming tanks costing full APs when most of them only have the ability to take down personal?

I guess to do those things you would have to have the code keep track of everything each unit is doing wthin a turn or a scn. It would be a ton of work, but then it would open new roads to making the game more interesting.

List of ideas: It could keep track of how many times a units has shot and have low ammo happen right when they reach thier max. It would keep track of tactical things like I mentioned. It could have a tank unit freeze in a direction it fired at the end of it's movment. You can factor in fatigue based on how many AP's fires and Assualts the unit has done, when they go over the limit they get the fatigue effect. You can freeze a units movment if they get pinned down by fire. It could force a unit to rout if they receive too many SP losses or if morale is too low, making the unit fall back each turn (like now when a unit retreats from fire) until they are not within range of enemy units (like when a disorder unit can't move towards enemy units). When X amount of SP's are lost from the units within say 5 hexs are lost, then the units within 5 hexs lose morale from losses the formation is taking. Have an unit considered 'engaged' with the enemy if they are right next to three or more units within 1 or 2 hexs next to them and will do not be able to move any direction expect the movment to backoff away and break off combat (a example of that idea is what they did John Tiller's Civil War Battleground and JT Nap. BG). Tanks, AA guns, etc. get lower defense when moving into cities, and maybe when AA shot at Helios from forests they get a negative roll, LOS and a higher one in open areas, etc.. I don't have a good idea for this one, but why not think of something to stop game' y scot and shoot tactics from tanks, etc.. MAybe engineers only give full SP assualt when assualting trenchs, etc. when with a rifle platoon (I'm unsure in real life how the doctrine was).

That said maybe differing nations have differing doctrine and have bonus and situations (negative and postive) to show that. Just giving out ideas, I'm sure there are all sorts of things just like with the Adaptive A/I.

Why not when a unit is wedged in from all sides and is assualted have the unit SOMETIMES try to breakout in certain situations instead of an assualt wiping them out? It would help game'y tactics from not happening so the unit could breakthrough the truck that's blocking it's escape path for example.

Tanks you! Please tell me how you guys fill about the 'Adaptive Tactical Effects' idea I just gave you. You might as well adopt something like it eventually (you might be doing the same thing for the new releases idk, adpative A/I is pretty much of the same idea). If your redoing EFII and add it with a patch it would bring the whole series to a whole new level (and not just the same exact thing as before). Thank you again for CS:ME and the updates. Just giving my 2 cents.

Three63

Post by Three63 »

Please Read I know the previous post is a huge idea, [&:] so let me just say this in a simpler sum up of the first post plus one idea from the second. I please, please beg you on behalf of the players to do the lesser things (i.e ones of major importance) I requested that are easier to update/code in a patch. 1) Guaranteed assaults sometimes are given depending on the units type, morale, SP level assaulted and the units attacking with a roll given sometimes on SP damage taken by the victor. [Example = Israeli Rifle Platoon assualt always wipes out a Jordanian Motor Section] 2) Guaranteed SP loss due to fire calculated in a given turn (or within say a 2, 3 turn period) based by how many units fired and at what Soft, Hard point vaule at a given Unit (if that unit suffers a SP loss before a 100% roll then the counter resets at 0 so the game remains balanced, or maybe a + modifer is given to the next unit that fires on it). [Example = 1 Arab Rifle Platoon fired at from 4 Israeli Paratrooper Platoons will suffer a Guaranteed loss of 1 SP when fired at from the 4th Israeli Platoon] 3) Routing of Inf. Platoons, etc. based on morale and SP loss (you could just have low morale or units lost 3/4 stength just be Disordered the rest of the scn. or until they regain morale instead. Plus I would request tanks do not rout) [Example = British SAS Platoon's Morale is low, auto retreat 1 hex and Disorder at start of turn] 4) 1 Extra Hard Fire (only 1 allowed, not 2) roll a turn for Inf. Rifle Platoons equiped with AT weapons with no or much smaller AP cost. [Self explanatory]

That would really get rid of a lot of atypical results I see in the game. Please, please , please consider these things. It would make the upcoming EF III (with a patch or DLC of 43-45 with these ideas included) have newer gameplay and tactics to try out then the previous EF. Let me know you read this by replying. Thank you very much for this thread. It's great that you guys are going to keep patching and improving these games.

P.S ; maybe you should have when Armour Facing is checked have Rifle Platoons take penalties when fired at from the rear (the front, left, right should have no penalties). Also "No result, No Result" assaults should be taken out once you have guaranteed assualts. I have no clue what that simulates in real life to have zero effect. If you close combat a platoon it's common sense someone is going to take casualties or run away. One of the sides should at least take a SP loss or retreat from their postion.

Please take my 2 cents and put it to the Soviet and Isreali banks!

~Three63

Attachments
yomkippurisrealflag.jpg
yomkippurisrealflag.jpg (3.94 KiB) Viewed 108 times
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Thanks Three63, after Middle East 2.0, we dive deep into jungles of Vietnam next. Let us see what happens there!
---
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

I would like the game to remain simple. [:)]

Save for one thing.
When I complete a campaign I would like the game to give me a beer and some pretzels.

Just don't change the game too much based on one person's opinion (and the development team) that claims to speak for all players? [X(]

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
&#8213; Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Return to “Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985”