A Question From A Prospective Purchaser

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

daird

A Question From A Prospective Purchaser

Post by daird »

I am a prospective buyer of this game, as the title implies. I haven't played anything from Matrix before, and considering the depth of this game, I am a little worried about biting off more than I can chew. I do have many, many hours logged in the grand strategy genre, though, mostly in Paradox games.

I was thinking the best way to learn this game was to write an AAR, so people can see it and tell me the many things I am doing wrong. The question is, would anyone be interested in an AAR from a complete and total noob?
BBfanboy

RE: A Question From A Prospective Purchaser

Post by BBfanboy »

Yes! The Forum members are happy to help newcomers get into the game and help them with strategy, how to do things, and suggestions for improvement of your results.
An AAR by a noob takes me back to my first attempts to learn the game and remind me of all the things I have learned since then. Of course I made a whole lot of mistakes too but persistence gives you an immersive game that you will likely enjoy thoroughly. No hype here- it's that good!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Five or six years ago, a complete newb named Greyjoy happened along and started recording an AAR. His good cheer and bad spelling immediately won over the hearts of all forumites and mankind. Greyjoy was in over his head, getting his fanny whipped, asking questions, getting answers, learning, and having fun. He became a darned good player much faster than he had any right to.

Yes, forumites will read and participate in your AAR.

As for whether you'll enjoy the game, I'd say you're much more likely to if you've always loved the Pacific Theater of World War II - the men, ships, airplanes, commanders, battles and strategy. There may be players who enjoy the game without an accompanying love of the history, but I bet they're fairly rare.

I hope you come in and that you love it as much as many of us do.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

Sure. There are many helpful players on the forums. A new player just played his first scenario against the AI and wrote an AAR. A number of people offered helpful comments. After losing his first game, he won his second decisively. Also, read, read, read. There is already so much helpful information in all the AARs and posts in the War Room.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Welcome aboard, daird!

No need to worry, daird - you'll get plenty of support here. Of, course, the more you have studied the manual, the
better.

I started out with an AAR, for a particular purpose, a couple of years ago and it has fullfilled my expectations more
than I could hope.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

People here are extremly helpfull. Like Canorebel said, if you are rally interested in this theater and love the ships and such look no further.

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

" I'm getting worse, you know. Sometimes I think I'm Admiral Halsey."

RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

As a long term allied player who doesn't think he can ever start another game I'd be happy to contribute my thoughts such as they are if you went ahead

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
daird

Post by daird »

Okay, the purchase has been made. This is Red 5, I'm going in...
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: daird

Use the (Imperial Japanese Navy) force, Luke!
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

... many, many hours logged in the grand strategy genre, though, mostly in Paradox games.

I was a big fan of Hearts of Iron (1/2/3).
Also played a lot of the AGEOD games like Revolutions Under Siege.

Once I bought into this game, I haven't played anything since.
The user interface is a bit clunky and there are a few small compromises given the scope of the game but if you are a hard core historic grognard with a strong tendency toward micro management, then jump in.

There are smaller scenarios to learn the game basics and plenty of helpful folks who will give their time.

It takes years to climb the learning curve. If the need for immediate success is what drives your search in war gaming, then stick with HoI4. If you like solving difficult puzzles, love historical content and are willing to learn the hard way (by experience), then Welcome Brother -- come dive in.

(... late posting, see you bought the game)
Congratulations.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Porkins here, I can hold it.

Porkins

btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Use the (Imperial Japanese Navy) force, Luke!

Yoda says "the dark side Beware" The Good side (Of the Allies) you must go"....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

"Porkins... Yes the force is strong with this one.”

Attachments
862eda107.jpg
862eda107.jpg (89.18 KiB) Viewed 100 times

daird

Post by daird »

The AAR thread is up, and I already have a question before I even start. This doesn't bode well...
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

"Porkins... Yes the force is strong with this one.”

Thats a nice one.
Unknown to most Star Wars leans heavily on Japanese culture and design.

Xargun

Post by Xargun »

The AAR thread is up, and I already have a question before I even start. This doesn't bode well...

Download the game and make sure to apply the latest patches... They really help the game... a lot.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”