Notes from a Small Island

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lovejoy

RE: Notes from a Small Island

Post by Lovejoy »

What's the status of the allied navies? I know that the KB got pretty well clobbered on December 8th, but since then, it seems like Obverts done much better than one would expect, having lost 4 carriers on the 2nd day of the war. Might we see a list of losses?

I've just begun to play the game (It took me a long time to get it to work on my PC), and I've got a question. This stage, would it be better to leave Japan in Australia and the Southwest Pacific? It seems that at this stage, the most important thing is to move towards Japan or its oil centers, rather than trying to extirpate them from Allied territory that is not directly needed to get your bombers/ships/armies right up to Japan's front door?
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Note to self :"And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sB3Fjw3Uvc

Attachments
hhh.jpg
hhh.jpg (261.48 KiB) Viewed 538 times

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Note to self :"And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sB3Fjw3Uvc

I always imagined Paramushiro Jima to be much bigger than that! They must have one heck of a basement to meet the stacking limit. Good camouflage of the fort though! [:)]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Andav

Post by Andav »

Instead of Paramushiro Jima, that must be Corregidor since it is labeled The Rock. Right?

Wa
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy

What's the status of the allied navies? I know that the KB got pretty well clobbered on December 8th, but since then, it seems like Obverts done much better than one would expect, having lost 4 carriers on the 2nd day of the war. Might we see a list of losses?

I've just begun to play the game (It took me a long time to get it to work on my PC), and I've got a question. This stage, would it be better to leave Japan in Australia and the Southwest Pacific? It seems that at this stage, the most important thing is to move towards Japan or its oil centers, rather than trying to extirpate them from Allied territory that is not directly needed to get your bombers/ships/armies right up to Japan's front door?

1. I quickly looked through the naval losses early on and will go back and do a more thorough census soon. What I found is that the Allies are in great shape for carriers, have suffered moderate losses in BBs, and I think cruiser and destroyer numbers are fine.

Some of the carriers and BBs are in shipyards after recently taking damage, but I'm pretty sure that the Allied navy and merchantmarine are in fine shape to take the war to Japan. Partly that feeling may be because this is stock and I'm accustomed to playing against a considerably beefed up Japanese navy. I feel like a batter who's been facing a a pitching machine that throws at 105 miles per hour and is now going to face a real pitcher that throws at 90.

2. When I say that the entire weight of the Allied power is in SWPac, I'm not exaggerating. Joseph brought everything plus the kitchen sink. He could wage war from this base forever and forever. He understood power and staying power.

It would make sense to simply continue his strategy, tweaking it to suit my own notions but using the same base of operations and orienting along the same vector. To change drastically will require tremendous effort that may be inefficient or harmful. But I'm considering lots of options.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

Thank you for your answer!
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Nono Canorebel cant move through the Coral Sea, not even with Rabaul in his hands. Not gonna happen. Morotai or bust [:D]

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Nono Canorebel cant move through the Coral Sea, not even with Rabaul in his hands. Not gonna happen. Morotai or bust [:D]

Hes got his spears![:D]

The Andrew Sisters....simply wonderful.[:)]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

CR

Wonderful presentation of your starting position. [&o]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

3/5/44

SWPac: Allies take Hansa Bay.

Attachments
030544SWPac.jpg
030544SWPac.jpg (463.96 KiB) Viewed 538 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

3/5/44

Air Ambush Burma: Allied fighters ambushed Nicks trying to molest a forward stack. I'd better not forget to modify the squadrons on LRCAP or Erik will quickly turn the tables.

Attachments
03 05 44 A..sh Burma.jpg
03 05 44 A..sh Burma.jpg (144.62 KiB) Viewed 535 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

3/5/44

Introducing the USS This and the USS That: We need to encourage Joseph to return to the game and the community, get active, get comfortable...and then convene the AE Kangaroo Court for the first time in about four years. He has crossed the line of weirdness here. This is gonna be tough to bear.

Attachments
030544I..erNames.jpg
030544I..erNames.jpg (46.42 KiB) Viewed 535 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

3/5/44

SigInt: Gathering info and hoping to find holes but not expecting to.

Attachments
030544SigInt.jpg
030544SigInt.jpg (183.71 KiB) Viewed 535 times
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

The Japanese had this same problem after Yamamoto died, then Koga, picking up a very complex war and not knwoing your enemy as well as the previous commander and deciding to go forward with planned and prepped operations.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Emperor Norton

Joshua Abraham Norton (c.1818[3] – January 8, 1880), known as Emperor Norton, was a citizen of San Francisco, California, who in 1859 proclaimed himself "Norton I, Emperor of the United States".[4] He later expanded his pretense by claiming to be "Protector of Mexico" as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton

Attachments
His-Imperi..ait-crop.jpg
His-Imperi..ait-crop.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 535 times

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

3/5/44

Scantiness: Watching the movie each turns takes about seven minutes. Here's the entire combat report. Nobody's fighting. It's France in February 1940: "The False War."

I like it because it's helping me a bit to ease into the game rather than getting bushwhacked with bombardments, sweeps, air raids, surface combat raids, etc.

Joseph and Erik played at a much different pace than me and John do. I don't know if that's good, bad, of indifferent (ha ha). But it's weird to watch a combat replay of seven minutes compared to 35 minutes for John and I. We always have 33 zillion sweeps, counter sweeps, land units bombarding and counter-bombarding, subs firing and missing, general mayhem, children and drunks running around in circles, waving their arms while hooting and braying.

Attachments
030644C..tReport.jpg
030644C..tReport.jpg (186.87 KiB) Viewed 535 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

3/5/44

Burma: Lots of forces in proximity, little fighting as we both feel each other out. But I'm making good progress in getting supply to Akyab.

I won't show a screen of SWPac. Not much fighting going on. Lots of clicking going on. The map is a melee of icon s moving hither and yon, like those proverbial children and drunks of yore howling and braying in the night.

Attachments
03 05 44 Burma.jpg
03 05 44 Burma.jpg (811.25 KiB) Viewed 536 times
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Burma - Do you have a Command HQ far enough forward and then a base that you can get 20k in supply at in order to upgrade LCUs to newest squads/devices rather than send back to India?

Preference (P) screen - You can use left and right mouse clicks to speed up all parts of the Combat Replay. I also use the <Esc> key to fast forward through ground bombardments.
[center]Image[/center]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

What key ships has your opponent lost?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
Burma - Do you have a Command HQ far enough forward and then a base that you can get 20k in supply at in order to upgrade LCUs to newest squads/devices rather than send back to India?

Preference (P) screen - You can use left and right mouse clicks to speed up all parts of the Combat Replay. I also use the <Esc> key to fast forward through ground bombardments.

Does it require an command HQ to upgrade squads and devices? I thought a supplied base would work. Teach me, as this will be important.

As best I can tell, there are only two non-static command HQ in the entire SEAC theater: Southeast Asia (British) and Y Force (Chinese). They both happen to be in the same jungle hex near Prome. They are within 9 hexes of Akyab, where I have sufficient supply (22k) for upgrade purposes. Is proximity sufficient or does a command HQ have to be at Akyab?

Return to “After Action Reports”