No way to take Malta

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

sad ham

No way to take Malta

Post by sad ham »

I've tried several assaults with 4 German TAC (+1 tactical factor) and 1 Italian AV.
Seems that the English Anti Air unit with +1 anti air ability located in Malta is invincible.
Using version 1.08
OxfordGuy3

RE: No way to take Malta

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Were all your air units well-supplied and attached to an HQ with a high command-rating (not that the Italian's have any "high command rating HQs)? Supply and attached HQ rating make a big difference. You also need to ensure that Malta doesn't get any supply through it's ports, so need to position a naval unit (can be a sub) next to both, I think, otherwise the AA can repair itself.

See these posts for tips:
tm.asp?m=4218403
tm.asp?m=4321330#
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

You might notice that the destruction of this unit in the first turn is nearly impossible, because of its high entrenchement.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Sugar

You might notice that the destruction of this unit in the first turn is nearly impossible, because of its high entrenchement.

Which is why you need to prevent the ports providing any supply to the unit, so that it can't reinforce

BTW there are opportunity costs to invading Malta, so it's not necessarily the best thing to do, especially as it is a risky operation, at least against a human opponent, but it is possible to take the island.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

You need to use at least a couple of med. bombers to reduce the entrench level first.
Bomb away with the TAC after.
You still won't get it first turn, but next turn it's a cinch.
Once the AA is killed, jump in a para and you're done.
When the port is usable again, jump out the para and transport in an Italian corps.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

To quote myself, as a reply to this remark: "I see Axis players in PBEM trying all the time to take Egypt without first having Malta. I think that's actually self-defeating? Or is it possible at all?"
It is indeed; or at least a long taking and risky operation, since you`ll need towns with 5 supply to build the HQ-Chain at least, and with the often 2 times striking Malta-effect given seldomly.

Alltogether there`s no point in doing so: operate all bombers, an HQ and 1 para at min. to Sicily after the fall of France (a maritim bomber could also be helpfull, as well as a fighter just in case). Place at best an italian sub to block both ports of La Valetta, and attack with the med. bombers first, best with those most experienced at first to keep losses down. Blocking the port will prevent the AA from being reinforced, the med. bombers will reduce entrenchement.

If the opponent decides to help Malta with the RN, sink his ships first with your bombers and the RM, then continue the attack. Usually 2 turns of good weather are enough to get the job done; doesn`t matter if a german or italian para is taking Malta or an italian corps via amphib.. Now one could send the not needed fighters and bombers to Bengasi on foot without further costs of operating, or attack Tunesia.

I find it more dangerous to loose all the the troops in Libya on low supply - especially against a human opponent - than to risk an italian sub.

Goodmongo

Post by Goodmongo »

ORIGINAL: Sugar

To quote myself, as a reply to this remark: "I see Axis players in PBEM trying all the time to take Egypt without first having Malta. I think that's actually self-defeating? Or is it possible at all?"
It is indeed; or at least a long taking and risky operation, since you`ll need towns with 5 supply to build the HQ-Chain at least, and with the often 2 times striking Malta-effect given seldomly.

Alltogether there`s no point in doing so: operate all bombers, an HQ and 1 para at min. to Sicily after the fall of France (a maritim bomber could also be helpfull, as well as a fighter just in case). Place at best an italian sub to block both ports of La Valetta, and attack with the med. bombers first, best with those most experienced at first to keep losses down. Blocking the port will prevent the AA from being reinforced, the med. bombers will reduce entrenchement.

If the opponent decides to help Malta with the RN, sink his ships first with your bombers and the RM, then continue the attack. Usually 2 turns of good weather are enough to get the job done; doesn`t matter if a german or italian para is taking Malta or an italian corps via amphib.. Now one could send the not needed fighters and bombers to Bengasi on foot without further costs of operating, or attack Tunesia.

I find it more dangerous to loose all the the troops in Libya on low supply - especially against a human opponent - than to risk an italian sub.

Agreed. After all if they send their Med fleet they will be sitting ducks for all those bombers sitting in Sicily. I usually place a sub, dd and maybe a HC a couple hexes away so as the UK fleet comes calling on my BB's next to Malta they get surprised and stuck for my bomber revenge next turn.
nnason

Post by nnason »

Well written
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

And if you have to delay taking Malta a turn to gut the Brit fleet with the bombers, by all means do it.
It's the best chance you'll get early on.
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

ORIGINAL:
Agreed. After all if they send their Med fleet they will be sitting ducks for all those bombers sitting in Sicily. I usually place a sub, dd and maybe a HC a couple hexes away so as the UK fleet comes calling on my BB's next to Malta they get surprised and stuck for my bomber revenge next turn.

This is an interesting way to bait the RN into an ineffective attack, leaving it vulnerable to air attack from Sicily, and to divert it away from attacking the RM battleships, which is really what the RN needs to target in order to ensure a more robust defence of Malta.

I just had to abandon Malta in a 1.09.01 Beta PBEM++ game with my experienced Axis opponent. I even had Anti-air level 2 on everything (on the city, the AA unit, and the two ports). I think I was effectively baited in this exact manner with CAs blockading the ports...

Bottom line is that an experienced and determined Axis player can still take Malta...but it could be costly against a determined Allied player...

C
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”