Sid Meier´s Civilization A New Dawn Gen Con 2017

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Red2112

Sid Meier´s Civilization A New Dawn Gen Con 2017

Post by Red2112 »

Marco presents Sid Meier´s Civilization A New Dawn at Gen Con 2017...

Civilization A New Daw Gen Con 2017

Cheer´s

--

wings7

RE: Sid Meier´s Civilization A New Dawn Gen Con 2017

Post by wings7 »

Looking good...thanks for the link! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I have an earlier board game design. Massive sum of cards and counters and game pieces. A total thing of beauty.

Only downside is it takes like half an hour to set it up and if you have players that have not previously played it. Weeeeeeell chances are you spend the allotted game time explaining it rather than playing it.

I'd rather this though than any of the computer programs. Although odds are you get to play the computer program scores more times.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Yep, some games are as you say, "a total thing of beauty". Me and my girlfriend really like "Eldrich Horror", a bunch of cards and over all a work of art, very H.P. Lovecraft in style so the narrative is also captivating.

The good thing about boardgames is that they wont crash on you or need updates to work! [:)] Boardgames just don´t fail, sorry PC.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Red2112

Yep, some games are as you say, "a total thing of beauty". Me and my girlfriend really like "Eldrich Horror", a bunch of cards and over all a work of art, very H.P. Lovecraft in style so the narrative is also captivating.

The good thing about boardgames is that they wont crash on you or need updates to work! [:)] Boardgames just don´t fail, sorry PC.

Or have lousy delaying ai's unless you suc at it. [:'(]
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Guess again. Once upon a time, sometime around at midnight, my father and I decided to go to sleep and continue with Monopoly at another time. My father flapped my blanket, and airflow from that cleaned up the game board. I have seen a complaint on this forum about mother, who cleaned up war game board & accessories (counters and whatnot), then asked: "Can't you just set it up again?" Or something like that. Also pets can wreak havoc, if you have any. And board/war/RPG games get errata, reprints with corrections, new editions and whatnot. Just look at Warhammer franchise. And some people choose to ignore errata and newer books and stick with the old books & their errors for whatever reasons.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Guess again. Once upon a time, sometime around at midnight, my father and I decided to go to sleep and continue with Monopoly at another time. My father flapped my blanket, and airflow from that cleaned up the game board. I have seen a complaint on this forum about mother, who cleaned up war game board & accessories (counters and whatnot), then asked: "Can't you just set it up again?" Or something like that. Also pets can wreak havoc, if you have any. And board/war/RPG games get errata, reprints with corrections, new editions and whatnot. Just look at Warhammer franchise. And some people choose to ignore errata and newer books and stick with the old books & their errors for whatever reasons.
A true board (war) game player will have a dedicated room to play (preferably with a locking door option).
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Orm

Post by Orm »

The word is rich rather than dedicated. [:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Orm

The word is rich rather than dedicated. [:D]
There are other words, like inheritance and single. My brother has practically inherited sizable house from our parents and he lives alone in it. He doesn't play war games, but he has nearly empty rooms that could be dedicated for that. We have a plan to set up HTC Vive VR system (and PC needed to run it) to one of the empty rooms.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

I´ll still take most boardgames with or without erratas over some PC games. Yeah I agree space is an issue, but then there´s gamers clubs and making friends [;)]
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Maybe it's age, maybe it's the quality of what is being produced but board games really captivate my imagination in a way PC games don't anymore. In the last few years I have gone back to my board game roots and have become addicted. As noted, if you have both the time and the space, it is a wonderful hobby.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: wings7

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

A true board (war) game player will have a dedicated room to play (preferably with a locking door option).

Yeah, and a sign that says "No girls allow" that means you mom. [:'(]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper

Maybe it's age, maybe it's the quality of what is being produced but board games really captivate my imagination in a way PC games don't anymore. In the last few years I have gone back to my board game roots and have become addicted. As noted, if you have both the time and the space, it is a wonderful hobby.

The die rolling is lost in pc games; not just wargames but all games. It's what makes board games fun is the suspense of ROLLING the die and the outcome. The computer takes that away and leads you to believe it cheats in favor of the ai sometimes like in Hero's of Normandie. All that die rolling and I don't get to lay my hands on the die. I pretty much don't like 'any' games today that have rng or die rolling. Must be skill based or some feature that lets "me" roll the die and then input it into the game like someone said COH does. Ima have to go back and take a look at that game now but I still don't like the igo 1 unit ugo 1 unit. But, if I get to roll the die and the camara catches it and inputs it in the game I certainly will try it.

Plus, think of all those colored die we accumulated over the years collecting dust or going to waste because of computer games.[:'(]
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

I couldn't agree more! It isn't just the dice though, it is the beautiful boards and/or map tiles, the cards, the miniatures, the hard copy rule books, it is the whole tactile experience. It all just takes ahold of my imagination in a way that nothing in 20+ years of PC gaming ever has. For my money and time, there is no equal to board gaming.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper

I couldn't agree more! It isn't just the dice though, it is the beautiful boards and/or map tiles, the cards, the miniatures, the hard copy rule books, it is the whole tactile experience. It all just takes ahold of my imagination in a way that nothing in 20+ years of PC gaming ever has. For my money and time, there is no equal to board gaming.
warspite1

That is true.

And when you get a game like World In Flames - beautiful doesn't even begin to come close to describing it [:)].

Looks like these gamers need a serious talking too though. Look at those German and French stacks. Straighten them up! They're a shambles! [:@]

Attachments
pic2233740_lg.jpg
pic2233740_lg.jpg (218.91 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

I understand that not everyone has space for this hobby, and/or can even set-up a map somewhere. I consider myself lucky, not only because I have space to do so, but because my girlfriend dosen´t mind it being in the coner of our living room [:)]

I have alot of things going on right now so it´s a bit of a chaos of a table [:D]

Return to “General Discussion”