Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Aurorus

Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A)

Post by Aurorus »

So, it has come to this: Argentina vs. the USA.

I started a new game as Japan against Opilot, who is also in the USA, a couple months ago. Opilot has proven to be a capable and good-natured opponent. I could ask for no one better with whom to enjoy this game. We have been moving along at a good pace and are approaching March 1942.

I have been playing two games at once for most of the past year, however, and with my game against 821Bobo having disintegrated, I contacted Apbarog, whose last AAR I enjoyed reading greatly. He performed admirably as the allies in his last game, so this should be quite a challenge. Opilot is also a challenging opponent. In fact, some of Opilot's tendencies remind me of things that Apbarog did in his last game: a game in which Japan surrendered in mid 1943. So I have my hands full now with two capable opponents.

This will be a DBB-B scenario with PDU:off using the latest Beta. We will use all of the normal settings: FOW on, Dec. 7th surprise on, and so forth. We intend to play a gentleman's game that does not seek to abuse the game engine. So, we agreed not do "gamey" things such as make abnormal sized air-groups and so forth. The explicit house rules are as follows:

- PPs paid to change theatres (Japanese Thai units to cross into Burma)
- No strategic bombing until 6/43
- No turn 1 multiple port strikes from carriers
- No 4 engine bomber restrictions. (Aurorus request)
- No restrictions on night bombing. (Aurorus request)
- Manchurian and Korean command units may enter Russia should a war
begin with Russia. (Aurorus request)
- On turn 1, Allies can not form new task forces, but may move existing
TFs (like Force Z). Allies won't do much on turn 1, not knowing that the
war was about to start. No ground movement. No air unit movement or
change of orders. Air units on carriers at sea may change their orders.
Nothing will be done that could be construed as knowing that the war was
about to begin.
-No tiny paratroop drops to take empty bases.
-Amphibious landings only at bases.
- Mersing invasion on turn 2 is ok. Reasonable use of turn 1 invasion
locations. (Aurorus request)
- Sub reaction ranges set to 0.

Apbarog offered to impose some restrictions on how he used 4Es against ground troops. I told him not to worry too much about it. If his 4Es are bombing my ground troops, they are not bombing my bases and industry.
Aurorus

RE: Argentina vs. USA: Aurorus (J) vs. Apbarog (A)

Post by Aurorus »

I have two games going now and am trying to finish writing a large work on world history for publication, so I do not plan to provide daily updates to this AAR. For those who want to follow the war closely, I believe that Apbarog will keep his AAR updated regularly. His last AAR was detailed, so I advise those who wish to follow the game in detail to read his AAR.

Instead, I will focus mostly on grand strategy and my general plan for each theater as it develops. As the action in each theater proceeds, I will provide some situation updates along with the appropriate maps. Then I will explain what tactical problems I have encountered and what solutions I intend to try. When appropriate, I will report on the success or failure of my plans and the tactics that I have employed, which will include some critical analysis of what I could have done better. In this way, those who read the AAR can learn from my errors and improve their own game, without the need to repeat my mistakes.

In my game against 821Bobo, I focused heavily on the destruction of U.S. assets to begin the war. The objective was Yamamoto-like. I wanted to cripple the U.S. naval and air capacity in Pacific immediately. I launched multiple raids on Pearl Harbor, striking both the port and the airfield. I also tried to destroy as much of the US air force in the Philipines as possible. In these endeavors, I was fairly successful, though the action was costly in terms of Kates and precious torpedo pilots. I believe that I sank 5 BBs at Pearl and destroyed approximately 160 P-40s in the first week of the war. My amphibious operations were focused on Luzon as part of the plan to try to destroy the U.S. air force there as completely as possible. Also, with the 6 fleet CVs at Pearl for a week, I was uncomfortable moving far into the DEI in December. I used the fast BBs and Ryujo to cover the important landing at Singkawang, which was a springboard to Palembang.

In my game against Opilot, I did the opposite. I followed a war plan similar to what Tojo had in mind. Kido Butai moved to the area just east of Singapore to cover a turn 2 landing at Mersing. PoW and Repulse were sunk on the 7th, and I landed at Mersing in force. The light CVEs and CVLs covered a move through the central DEI. Mindanao, Manado, and Ternate were secured quickly by a series of landings, and Japanese forces moved quickly to Balikpapan and Java. By Feb. 1, all of Java, Malaysia, and southern Sumatra were in Japanese hands. There was a secondary landing in southern Luzon in order to establish a foothold, gain control of the important size 3 port at Batangas and build an airfield close to Manila and Clark to support action there. In this plan, the idea was to take the DEI as quickly as possible to open additional strategic possibilities as quickly as possible.

I have not decided whether I will pursue one of these plans or devise a new plan. In devising a plan for the initial conquest phase for Japan, there are several game mechanic variations to take into consideration. My game against 821Bob was a stock game using the latest official patch. My game against Opilot is a DBB-lite game with reduced cargo capacity and using the latest Beta patch. In a stock game with the latest official patch, KB receives coordination bonuses for attacks against Pearl Harbor in the first weeks of the war. The strikes are coordinated automatically, which allows the Japanese player to fly coordinated fighter sweeps over Pearl for several days. In the latest Beta, these coordination bonuses are removed. The result is that not all planes always launch to attack Pearl. Moreover, if one plots fighter sweeps over Pearl after Dec. 7th, the sweeps will come in piecemeal: one CV Zero group then the next, rather than as one large coordinated sweep. Furthermore, in moving from stock to DBB, the penetration capacity of aircraft torpedos is reduced, and these torpedos do not always penetrate BB belt armor. This reduces the effectiveness of torpedo attacks at Pearl on Dec. 7th further.

The Pearl strike is often underwhelming in a stock game using the latest official patch. When DBBs less effective torpedos are combined with the latest Beta, which often reduces the number of planes in the Pearl Harbor strike, achieving anything of consquence at Pearl Harbor is difficult. Moving KB halfway across the map and out of position to support DEI operations to achieve nothing of consequence seems to be folly. Nevertheless, there is still a massive concentration of U.S. assets at Pearl Harbor on turn 1, and there is no more inviting target anywhere on the map.

Another problem arises for Japan on turn 1 in DBB in that DBB removes 2 small DD TFs at ports on Honshu that "magic move." While this may not seem like much of a change, it is, in fact, a drastic change. In stock, one can form up new TFs, such as a major amphibious group, and BB SCTF groups, merge them with these DD TFs, and redeploy many of the assets that begin the game in ports at Honshu. The removal of these TFs played a major role in my decision, in the game against Opilot, to move KB to cover a landing at Mersing and then support a move into the DEI as quickly as possible.

I will play around with a few ideas over the next few days and post a strategic plan for the Japanese conquest phase in a few days, along with a detailed explanation of my turn 1 plan.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

I am still considering which plan of the two that I have devised for the Japanese conquest phase to use. In the meantime, I have done what work I am able on the rear-area production items, ground units, and ship conversions.

For the Home Islands and Korea, I took the opportunity to review each unit and become familiar with the changes that DBB makes to ground units. I am already familiar with the ship class changes and aircraft changes from my DBB-lite with Opilot. The only major change in DBB is an increase in the number and diversity of naval support units, but an overall reduction in naval support and a reduction in Japanese engineer capabilities. AKEs, important in every game version, are much more important in DBB.

I did what ship conversion I was able. All To'su class merchants convert to AMc. All 11-knot merchants will convert to PBs. Many of the 14-knot ships that can convert to AKEs and ADs will convert to one or the other. 5 Lima-class merchants will convert to AKEs. The remainder will transport supplies and resources for long-haul. No Aden-class merchants will convert and will carry the bulk of the Japanese cargo. Several 12 and 14 knot AKs convert space to carry troops. I like to have a diversity of ships converted to troop carriers to adjust the tonnage of transport and amphibious TFs so as to dock at ports of various sizes. The 15-knot Yusen Ns will all convert cargo space to troop space and be mothballed, for the most part until June, when they will convert to military AKs. The 17-knot xAKs will all convert cargo space to troop space and then convert to military AKs at the earliest possible opportunity, certainly before the amphibious bonus expires.

On the Home Islands, the 64th and 67th infantry Brigades will redeploy to Ominato to be air-transported via Theresas and Topsies to Toyohara and Etorofu. JNAF units from the 5th-fleet will move to each base at the earliest opportunity, and the base command will be changed to "General Defense" to allow the 64th and 67th to be deloyed there. 11th Air fleet JNAF aviation support and the 11th fleet HQ itself will redeploy to Hokkaido and the Kuriles. The HQ will provide torpedo capability to strikes from Hokkaido should the allies make a northern adventure in the early going. 11th Air fleet will recieve one of the two high-aggression naval air commanders to facilitate a Betty strike on CVs. DBB includes extra at-start aircraft for the Japanese, at least 12 A5M4s on the Home Islands will be upgraded to Zeros immediately. Most expansions to the airfields in the Kuriles and northern areas will not begin until spring to conserve supplies. I am undecided as to whether I will make any move toward the Aleutian islands. If I do move onto offense here, it will not be until spring at the earliest.

In Korea, the better divisions and regiments: 1st division, 8th division, and 90th infantry regiment redeploy to Keiji, where they will be bought out and deploy to forward areas. Mukden will be the center of air training. The majority of aviation support is redeploying here. There will be some expansion of light and heavy industry in Korea: probably about 100 light and industry and 50-100 heavy industry depending on the condition of the oil fields. All of the heavy artillery will redeploy to Port Arthur. The heavy artillery provides the best value for political points of any units and is among the highest priority items to buy out. It will not redeploy to China. Rather it will go to other fronts: possibly Luzon, Burma, or Singapore.

The port at Fusan will expand to size 5 and be the primary point of transfer for resources to Honshu. The port 1 hex to the northwet of Fusan will supplement the flow of resources. Fuel and oil will move from Kanko and Rashin. Both of these porst will expand to their maximum normal size. Kushima will be mined as will the straits between Hokkaido and Honshu and Hokkaido and Sakhalin from time to time to fortify the Sea of Japan and make submarine movement into this area hazardous.

Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

As to production. Vehicle production will expand to 180. 115 merchant shipyards will convert to naval shipyards to accelerate the 1944 CVs. Work will halt on Musashi and Yamato for the time being. Work will begin again on Musashi later in 1942 until its arrival date coincides roughly with Yamato. The plan will be to start work again on both ships in late 1943 after the 1944 CVs have been completed. Work will be halted on all submarines except SSTs that have an arrival date after mid 1943. All merchant ship production, except for large Tankers, Oilers, and CVEs will be halted. Several CVEs will be accelerated.

Air production will be on the lower end to start. A6M2s will be set to 60. Oscars will be set to 90. Kates, Jakes, and Vals will be set to 30. Nicks will be set to 30. This is a PDU:off game. The upgrade paths in DBB are more favorable for the Japanese air force. Fewer squadrons must go through the entire Oscar chain to receive 2nd or 3rd generation fighters. There are more Tojos and Tonies available in DBB. With this in mind, R&D will focus on 2nd and 3rd generation fighters with little effort devoted to late-war models. PDU:off requires the production of a greater variety of airframes. Research and production cannot focus on only a few items. As such, for R&D to have a substantial impact on availability dates, emphasis must be placed on the 2nd generation air-frames that upgrade. The following is the air production/ R&D plan:

A6M2-Rufe 8 X 30
A6M5D 1 x 30
A7M2 4 x 30
A7M3 1 x 30
B6N1 2 x 30
B7A2 1 x 30
D4Y1 2 x 30
J1N1 2 x 30
KI 43IIa 4 x 30
KI44IIa 3 x 30
KI 45a 1 x 30
KI 46 III KAI 1 x 30
Ki 61a (3 x 30)
Ki 84a 8 x 30, 1 x 60
Ki 94 1 x 30
N1K1 2 x 30
J2M2 2 x 30
P1Y2 Francis 1 x 30

2 or 3 additional factories can be assigned. I will wait until I determine how much supply is needed to repair oilfields before assigning these last factories.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

One aspect of managing the Japanese economy is controlling upgrades and replacements of specific devices. Off the intelligence screen is an "industry/resource" screen that allows the Japanese player to manage how specific devices are distributed to units. Some units, such as radar, have a monthly production. For most units, however, the monthly production is 0, and the game will produce these items from available manpower, armament, and vehicle points as needed for replacements and upgrades to units. For every device, there is an entry marked "stockpile," which can be set to on or off. If a device with a monthly production value is set to "Stockpile:On," this item will be produced but will not be distributed to units, even if the units are set to "Accept Replacements:On." The device will be "stockpiled" literally. If a device with a 0 production value is set to "Stockpile:On," this has the effect of halting production for this device and will prevent units from receiving these devices, even if "Accept Replacement" is set to "on." Setting stockpile to on is a good idea for many devices in the Japanese force pool. Some Japanese equipment, such as 7.7 mm AAMGs, are effectively useless and use supply without contributing much to the unit. There is no reason to replace these devices when they are destroyed.

DBB adds several more useless devices to the Japanese force pool to consume supply without contributing anything of signficance: especially "labor squads." These squads do not contribute to loading and unloading of ships or construction of bases. They should be set to "Stockpile: On," so that they are not replaced when destroyed. Indeed, the sooner that they are destroyed, the better for the empire.

Attachments
construction.jpg
construction.jpg (116.71 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

I use the device management screen to handle many of my upgrades as well. In general, I do not upgrade devices immediately as new versions become available, though there are some exceptions. I often upgrade devices piecemeal. As obsolete devices are destroyed, they will be replaced with the upgraded items. I do this by setting "Stockpile" to "on" for obsolete devices. As mentioned, this will prevent squads from receiving these devices as replacements. Instead, they will replace destroyed devices with the upgraded item. The conserves vehicle and armament points. One note about this approach, however, is that it will, at times, prevent division components from being rebuilt into the full division until all of the obsolete items for each regiment are upgraded.

At the beginning of the war, this approach is very good for the obsolete model 89A tanks, armored cars, and the slower-firing type 1 37mm anti-tank guns: all of which upgrade to better devices. With the settings used in the picture below, destroyed type 89A tanks will be replaced with the more modern Type 97 tanks, and the type 1 37mm will be replaced with type 94 guns. Eventually, the type 94 37mms will upgrade to 47mm, which is a major upgrade. So at some point in the war, all the type 1 37mms in frontline units will be upgraded.

Attachments
upgradessystem.jpg
upgradessystem.jpg (119.83 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

The first turn is finally away. There are a few things that I am unhappy with and I ran a little risk because I simply could not get everything to coordinate correctly. I will be using a plan similar to the one that I used in my game against OPilot with several variations.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Aurorus
With the settings used in the picture below, destroyed type 89A tanks will be replaced with the more modern Type 97 tanks,

Is that correct?

My understanding is you can have one or the other in the unit...not both at the same time. So in essence you will grind those devices down to 0, weakening the unit and also fighting with inferior devices that are easier to get destroyed or less effective versus the Allies.

Then your troops in non base hexes won't upgrade and it might be a long time till they do.

Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

With the settings used in the picture below, destroyed type 89A tanks will be replaced with the more modern Type 97 tanks,

Is that correct?

My understanding is you can have one or the other in the unit...not both at the same time. So in essence you will grind those devices down to 0, weakening the unit and also fighting with inferior devices that are easier to get destroyed or less effective versus the Allies.

Then your troops in non base hexes won't upgrade and it might be a long time till they do.

I think that may have been the case prior to the latest Beta, but I have received replacements of upgraded devices while still having the obsolete devices in the unit. Here is a screenshot from 7th Tank regiment from my game with OPilot. I have the settings in device management listed as depicted above: with the 89A tanks set to stockpile and the 97 set to not stockpile. This unit has received replacements for 2 destroyed tanks.

Attachments
Tanks.jpg
Tanks.jpg (92.01 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

I do not have Photoshop, and I am not a graphics artist. In fact, I am probably have the least artistic ability of anyone that I have ever known. Nevertheless, I will try to use Microsoft Paint to present my plans for the Japanese conquest phase as best I can.

No matter my opponent, the pace of my advance does not concern me unduly. My objective against every opponent is always simple: force battle. In every game as Japan, I want to engage the enemy at every opportunity as quickly as possible on all fronts and destroy as many allied assets as possible. In his previous game, Apbarog played a cautious Japanese player and he proved himself very skillful at withdrawing allied assets ahead of the Japanese advance. He used light SCTFs and some feints to slow his opponent's advance as he withdrew resources and key Dutch and British ground units from Java and Malaysia. My plan is to trap as many allied assets as possible and destroy them utterly.

In China my plan is to try to isolate as many units as possible and destroy them entirely. I want them to respawn at 30% strength. The more units that respawn in Chungking at 30% strength, the less effective the Chinese army will be later in the war. I do not intend to take Chungking and completely destroy the Chinese. Therefore, I want to make the Chinese army as ineffective as possible without using enormous amounts of supply. Phase 1 of the plan will be to try to isolate units on the Chinese plain and attack them in clear terrain.

4 Divisions will rail down from Northern China to Kaifeng and drive west. A reinforced division with move directly up the road to Singyang. 3 Divisions will drive through the clear terrain north of Hankow, forming the south of the pincer. These 8 divisions will converge on Nanyang with all speed. Chengchow and Loyang may be bypassed. Mixed Brigades will move to fill in the lesser roads to the north, forming a continuous line from Hankow to the Russian border. A reinforced division will drive across the Ghobi Desert with the goal of reaching Ningsia, the dot base east of Lanchow, and threaten the Chinese northern flank. (Please excuse my poor graphic art skills).

Attachments
chinaphase1.jpg
chinaphase1.jpg (372.09 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

Once phase 1 in China is complete, depleted units will be withdrawn via rail to garrison the large cities, and fresh units will be brought up from the garrisons. 3-4 divisions will move west from Hangchow, take Wenchow, and drive west. 3 divisions will move south from Hankow to form a continuous line from Hankow south to Hong Kong. The object is to engage in a series of redeployments, taking advantage of Japan's access to the rail-lines, spread the Chinese army out, and then examine how Apbarog responds. Phase 3 will be a target of opportunity. I will probe the entire line from north to south for weaknesses, try to exploit the lack of allied recon in China, redeploy as needed, and try to break through any weakness between the Russian border and Hong Kong. (Again, please excuse my poor graphic design skills).

Attachments
Chinaphase2.jpg
Chinaphase2.jpg (316.68 KiB) Viewed 826 times
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

The plan for the DEI is designed to prevent any organized allied withdrawal of assets or resources. Luzon will be bypassed for the moment. KB with the fast BBs and a CA SCTF will support an initial landing at Mersing of 3 divisions: the two divisions from Samah and the division from Pescadores. These 3 divisions will be reinforced by the Imperial Guards, which will drive down from the north. The 41st infantry regiment (which is from a division that has not arrived) along with a SNLF from Camh Ran Bay will perform a secondary landing at Khota Bharu to secure an airfield in Sally and Oscar range of Singapore. SNLFs will take Singkawang and the 22nd Air Flotilla will station there immediately to provide air cover to the northern offensive.

Ryujo and 2 CA SCTFs will support an advance to the south with Kendari, Ambon, and Koepang as the objectives. 11th air Fleet will station at Kendari, Koepang, or Ambon immediately to provide over-arching air cover for the southern arm of the pincer. All elements will move with speed to cut off the route from the DEI to Australia quickly and destroy as many Dutch and British naval assets as possible.

The divisions from Honshu will follow up, covered by the slow BBs and the CA SCTF that begins at Chich Jima, and move down the slot created by Ryujo's force with the objective of landing at Semarang on Java. 2 CVs, the CVEs, and the CVLs will support the Java landing. The other 4 CVs will move east to Truk after the opening moves to support an offensive to take Rabaul and secure the Coral Sea.

The initial moves are shown in red. The follow up of the large amphibious groups from Honsu are shown in black. Again please forgive my lack of artistic ability.

Attachments
DEI.jpg
DEI.jpg (13.4 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

Here is how the primary move on day 1 developed: KB and covering TFs supporting the move to Mersing. KB is divided into 2 TFs of three CVs each. The southern CVTF contains the 2 fast BBs in case it should encounter TF Z by chance. Yamamoto is in personal command of this TF (for his high naval skill, again a precaution against encountering TF Z in a surface engagement).

Fighters from Soc Trang opened with a sweep over Singapore and flamed approximately 10 Buffalos for no losses. Akagi's air group followed up and found the skies clear. Kato's 64th Sentai swept Georgetown and scored severa victories over a handful of Buffalos that scrambled. Betties then struck the port at Singapore, followed up by Kates from 5 of the 6 CVs, which attacked both the port and a CL in the harbor. 4 Squadrons of Vals struck the airfield at Singapore, and 2 squadrons of Vals struck the port. The Gnells from Saigon, escorted by the Oscar 1as, struck the port and airfield at Georgetown. Sallies struck the airfields Kuantan and Alor Star. Lillies and Sallies then hit the ground troops at Khota Bharu. In the PM phase, Yamamoto launched 72 Kates at Task Force Z. Alas, many of them targeted Repulse, which sunk, but then redirected to DDs rather than PoW.

Here the results of the opening day strikes on Malaysia and TF Z. I will not normally be posting combat reports in this AAR except for major events.

The attacks on TF Z.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Muntok at 51,89

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 22 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 5 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
BB Prince of Wales, Torpedo hits 1
BC Repulse, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 45cm Type 91 Torp
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Muntok at 51,89

Raid detected at 26 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 14
B5N2 Kate x 70

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 4 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
Walrus II: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB Prince of Wales
BC Repulse, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
DD Express
DD Electra

The action over Singapore.

Morning Air attack on Singapore , at 50,84

Raid detected at 30 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 15

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 7 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 18000 feet

Raid detected at 38 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 7 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
xAP Dominion Monarch, Bomb hits 2
CL Mauritius, Bomb hits 5
AG Pangkor, Bomb hits 1, on fire
TK Mobilfuel, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Silverbeech, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AMC Kanimlba, Bomb hits 1
xAP Kepong, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAKL Tatung, Bomb hits 1, on fire
TK British Judge, Bomb hits 1
AM Toowoomba, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DM Stronghold, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Wulin, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Encounter, Bomb hits 1
AG Vyner Brooke, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAP Hong Kheng, Bomb hits 1

Port hits 4

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 14
B5N2 Kate x 52
D3A1 Val x 55

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 4 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 22 damaged
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed on ground
Blenheim IV: 31 damaged
Blenheim IV: 3 destroyed on ground
Catalina I: 4 damaged
Hudson I: 3 damaged
S.19 Singapore III: 2 damaged
Vildebeest III: 8 damaged
Vildebeest III: 1 destroyed on ground
Swordfish I: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AMC Manoora, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires
CL Mauritius, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Lyemun, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
DD Jupiter, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAKL Larut, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AMc Jerantut, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
DM Stronghold, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Tai Sang, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAP Kinta, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Encounter, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 18

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 20
B5N2 Kate x 9
D3A1 Val x 67

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 8 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 7 damaged
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed on ground
Blenheim IV: 2 damaged
Vildebeest III: 3 damaged
Vildebeest III: 1 destroyed on ground
S.19 Singapore III: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
CL Danae, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CM Kung Wo, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Demodocus, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Mauritius, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Hong Kheng, Bomb hits 1, on fire
TK British Judge, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Isis, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Over Georgetown. The idea here is to destroy these ships and prevent the evacuation of anything from Malaysia.

Morning Air attack on Georgetown , at 49,74

Raid spotted at 5 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 36
Ki-43-Ia Oscar x 24

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Wing Sang, Bomb hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Kelantan, Bomb hits 6, and is sunk
xAK Demosthenes, Bomb hits 13, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Raub, Bomb hits 6, and is sunk
AMc Medusa, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
xAKL Nam Yong, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
HDML Pennigat, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Hong Siang, Bomb hits 18, and is sunk
HDML Pahalwan, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
HDML Panji, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
HDML Panglima, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

Port hits 19
Port fuel hits 6
Port supply hits 1

Morning Air attack on Georgetown , at 49,74

Raid spotted at 2 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 36

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 26 damaged
Buffalo I: 6 destroyed on ground
Blenheim IF: 13 damaged
Blenheim IF: 2 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 33
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 65

Over Kuantan

Morning Air attack on Kuantan , at 51,79

Raid spotted at 34 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 48

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 7 damaged
Blenheim I: 4 damaged

Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 19

Alor Star

Morning Air attack on Alor Star , at 49,73

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 22

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 7 damaged
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied ground losses:
25 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

And Kota Bharu

Morning Air attack on 8th Indian Brigade, at 51,75 (Kota Bharu)

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 31
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 55

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
213 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

My plan has hit the first snag. While the results from Day 1 were very good. I have encountered a major problem. The key to much of the plan was the immediate destruction of TF Z, because this is the only significant allied threat in the DEI. TF Z was not destroyed. PoW survived with only 1 torpedo hit and did not appear badly damaged. That PoW was not sunk or crippled presents serious problems as it could, from its current position, interdict either landing: at Mersing or Singkawang. I do not want to engage it with CAs, which leaves only the fast BBs to cover a landing. That PoW is in good shape also means that I must be cautious with KB. I had hoped to move south immediately with 3 CVs, covered by the fast BBs, and either target shipping fleeing Java or Dutch light SCTFs.

The position of the northern elements of the DEI offensive are depicted (poorly) in the map below. The idea of dividing KB into two groups was to cover the area north and the area south of Singapore with Kates to a distance of a 1 pulse move by TF Z. This way TF Z could be struck by air regardless of which direction it moved. TFs are marked in Black. The red lines indicate the amphibious targets, and the yellow lines represent the day 1 airstrikes. Again forgive my lack of artistic merit.

Attachments
Mersing.jpg
Mersing.jpg (509.24 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Is that correct?

I think that may have been the case prior to the latest Beta, but I have received replacements of upgraded devices while still having the obsolete devices in the unit. Here is a screenshot from 7th Tank regiment from my game with OPilot. I have the settings in device management listed as depicted above: with the 89A tanks set to stockpile and the 97 set to not stockpile. This unit has received replacements for 2 destroyed tanks.

Wow, that is really neat, with very big implications. Thanks![&o]
Andav

Post by Andav »

This really is a neat trick. While I have used Stock Pile, I have never thought to use it in this manner. Also the stock pile of the 7.7 and the labor squads makes perfect sense as well. I just never thought of using it in this way. Thanks for the tip!

Wa
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Andav

Also the stock pile of the 7.7 and the labor squads makes perfect sense as well.

I like the 7.7...it adds devices to the unit which allows the unit to soak more damage...i.e. the 7.7 mg is disrupted rather than the 8.8. Makes the unit a little less fragile. Same thing with tractors in artillery units.
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

Some units, such as radar, have a monthly production. For most units, however, the monthly production is 0, and the game will produce these items from available manpower, armament, and vehicle points as needed for replacements and upgrades to units.
This setting does not work for Japan. Even with monthly production set, device will always be produced in needed quantity for replacement.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: Andav

Also the stock pile of the 7.7 and the labor squads makes perfect sense as well.

I like the 7.7...it adds devices to the unit which allows the unit to soak more damage...i.e. the 7.7 mg is disrupted rather than the 8.8. Makes the unit a little less fragile. Same thing with tractors in artillery units.

Lol... you're a nut Lowpe... lol. Ok, use your 7.7 mm MGs, labor units, and tractors to soak damage... once. Then do not replace them. They use supply, armament points, etc... that could go to more useful items.
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

I wouldn't worry too much about the PoW as you said last time he husbanded his major units and used mostly light forces to feint and probe. The Japanese CA's are very good at night fighting and the long lances are more of a threat to him then he is to you. Move forward with your plans speed is your friend and time is your enemy.

Return to “After Action Reports”