The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

obvert

RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A)

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Oh, man, I would love to pick up the game, but I can't keep up with what I have right now.

Can you send me the files if indeed it is a drop. I would love to look at it from the Allied POV.

haha! I though you might be interested. [:)]

i can definitely send the files. I know you're kind of up on the game, but as I say it's possible (and probably best) to go back a bit if someone does want to take over.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Oh, man, I would love to pick up the game, but I can't keep up with what I have right now.

Can you send me the files if indeed it is a drop. I would love to look at it from the Allied POV.

haha! I though you might be interested. [:)]

i can definitely send the files. I know you're kind of up on the game, but as I say it's possible (and probably best) to go back a bit if someone does want to take over.

Back from my appointment now, will have dinner shortly and then finish off our belated turn. I need somebody distracting you, so that you can't put 110% into our game!
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

He's got a little baby!

How much more help do you want![:D]
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

He's got a little baby!

How much more help do you want![:D]

Seriously!

He just missed me today on 4-5 hours sleep with 4 night wakes to feed!! Shoulda finished that turn today!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
obvert

RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Canoerebel (A)

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]GOING BACK IN TIME[/font]
Canoerebel (Dan) has decided to pick up the game and continue. It'll be fun and challenging, but also really good to get to know him better and his playing style from inside a game. Having been a follower for a very long time I'll be curious if I can decipher the misdirections, feints and subterfuge coming from the Allied side.

We've decided to go back to 3/43 to restart so he can take advantage of Joe's (Sqz) good work taking Rabaul and organising forces and logistics (which were a mess in late 43 when he took over) and so Dan can direct the Allies wherever he wants in mid-44.

He has just sent back a turn, so quick! I'll be upgrading the patch to current and then getting back into it. So strange to have to revisit my own previous position, but I guess a chance to do some things better based on hindsight too. [:)]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: obvert

[font="Times New Roman"]GOING BACK IN TIME[/font]
Canoe rebel (Dan) has decided to pick up the game and continue. It'll be fun and challenging, but more really good to get to know him better.

We've decided to go back to 3/43 to restart so he can take advantage of Joe's (Sqz) good work taking Rabaul and organising forces and logistics (which were a mess in late 43 when he took over) and so Dan can direct the Allies wherever he wants in mid-44.

He has just sent back a turn, so quick! I'll be upgrading the patch to current and then getting back into it. So strange to have to revisit my own previous position, but I guess a chance to do some things better based on hindsight too. [:)]

Well, well, well. All is good![:)]

Obvert was kind enough to send me the game files from various dates, and lot of the Allied struggle recently became obvious to me. I was thinking on pointing some of this out to Squez, but I fear it would be taken the wrong way.

Anyhow, jumping back in time, like this goes to Michael's idea of having a game played till say June of 1942 and then a 2nd game is started with a different Allied player (or Japanese for that matter) to see how the game can develop down entirely separate paths from the same starting point mid game.

This will be fascinating. Good luck, I think you might need it.[;)] Here is hoping that you have super fast turnaround, so that I don't feel bad about my slow turnaround.[8|]
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Glad to hear Dan picked up the game Erik. Have fun finishing your game up.

Once again, thanks for your understanding and apologies for not being able to finish the game. It's in better hands now though.

Off to get back in the modelling.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Drakanel

Post by Drakanel »

Glad to see this will be continued. I will be following this.

The thread title is getting rather long [:D][:D]
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Glad to hear Dan picked up the game Erik. Have fun finishing your game up.

Once again, thanks for your understanding and apologies for not being able to finish the game. It's in better hands now though.

Off to get back in the modelling.

It's been great playing and talking over the last years Joe. Lets keep up the conversation and I want to see some pics of those models! [:)]

obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Drakanel

Glad to see this will be continued. I will be following this.

The thread title is getting rather long [:D][:D]

Yes. [:D]
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

Canoerebel is winding up a game that is in early 45 so he should be well accomplished at this stage of mid late game possibilities. Good luck to you both and enjoy.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Thanks. I'm itching to update but getting back to work and keeping up 1/day turns on two games has been tough. I'll get there though and get into this one. It's starting slowly as Dan gets his head around things.
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

In its own twisted way this game is already a classic [:D]

Good luck and have fun.

obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

In its own twisted way this game is already a classic [:D]

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks Grafin!

Its true, it's been an epic on several levels, for me at least. I'm determined to finish well, although I know it will be daunting against CR. He's already used to the endgame and has some limitations removed in this game not having Stacking Limits and not having a boosted Japanese OOB. So I'm in for it, and probably quite soon!

obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]March 1-12, 1944[/font]

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]REBOOT: [/font] So the game has been restarted to an earlier date. March 1. Dan has been reorganising, personalising and I'm sure envisioning the Allied position. He's communicated a bit, but not much about the game other than he was happy with the progress and positioning of the Allied forces. He is an optimist, but also a realist, and will notice some advantages about this game in particular.

1. No stacking limits. This enables the Allies to land anywhere and overwhelm Japanese forces. So he'll pick his spots well, and with strategic intent, I'm sure.

2. Lots of planes in the pools and troops undiminished by combat. The air forces for the Allies have been only used sporadically, and there are a lot of advanced models to work with in abundance. Mostly in the So Pac and Burma areas for now.

3. Good positions in the Pacific. Wake, Rabaul New Guinea. The Aleutians. Some great bases to work from are available since the Japanese constricted the original plans after losing the KB early. The fleet should be in good shape too, even after losing a few CVs sunk and damaged near Rabaul.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font]In Burma Dan began by moving out of jungle lockdown. He's shifted troops to the central valleys and looks to be on the move in general. Only a few air skirmishes to report. He is moving to take Bassein right next to Rabaul with some Chinese and African troops. I've bombed them but won't interfere. That is a tough base to utilise,and I should have some opportunities to shut it down if taken. It's not defendable in clear territory though.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]CENT PAC: [/font] No moves here yet.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SW PAC: [/font] The Allies are following on some plans in place, clearing west New Guinea bases, and look to be moving on Merauke. This is consistent with what Sqz had in place. Rabaul, though, which had 200k + troops, is being emptied. This makes me think the axis of advance with shift. I have a few thoughts on where he'll choose to go, but I have to look carefully and send out some feelers before I can be sure. Lets just say we're ordering lots of fur-lined mittens and all weather parkas. [:)]

[font="Trebuchet MS"]Rabual on the 7th and on the 13th. Where are those troops going? [:(][&:][:)][/font]

Attachments
rabaul.jpg
rabaul.jpg (218.02 KiB) Viewed 91 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]March 13-17, 1944[/font]

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SUBS: [/font] The Allies look to be sending subs out into Japanese air and sea space much more aggressively. I've now increased the ASW air from bases in the Marianas, Babeldaob and NW New Guinea. It'll be hard going for them, but hopefully he'll have enough success to push more forward just in time for my new Super E boats to arrive in the area. [:)]

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] The Allies cross and take Bassein. Now comes the tricky part. Do they move to support and get all of those nice Marines and Commenwealth troops into the area around Rangoon?

We're planning to hit the fields and reduce supply and building efforts at Bassein, but of course, once enough A gets in here, that will be much harder to do. Can he get supply in to support all of those troops?

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]CENT PAC: [/font]A few more bases being snapped up. Ho Hum. All Japanese troops are being finally evacuated from any island East of Ponape. I'll keep a naval guard at Eniweitok actually, but that is a token resistance.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SW PAC: [/font] The Allies land at Merauke with minimal force, but will still take the base. Not much here. There is in fact a clear path to the DEI, but it's not easy to see from the Allied side just yet, I'm hoping. The IJN is in position tot react to a number of threats, and it'll be important to have time to find the most dangerous ones. Lots of troops arrive in about two months, and I'll need them to solidify a number of areas.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 13, 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Merauke (89,124)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 2372 troops, 82 guns, 5 vehicles, Assault Value = 34

Defending force 996 troops, 15 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2

Allied adjusted assault: 14

Japanese adjusted defense: 3

Allied assault odds: 4 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), fatigue(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
27 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 6 (1 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Assaulting units:
7th RAA Coastal Artillery Regiment
2nd RAA Jungle Regiment
11th Marine Defense Battalion
G/H Battery Heavy Coastal Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
40th JNAF AF Unit

Ground combat at Bassein (54,52)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 42489 troops, 438 guns, 158 vehicles, Assault Value = 1270

Defending force 2321 troops, 18 guns, 10 vehicles, Assault Value = 85

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Allied adjusted assault: 376

Japanese adjusted defense: 5

Allied assault odds: 75 to 1 (fort level 2)

Allied forces CAPTURE Bassein !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-), fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
755 casualties reported
Squads: 67 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 28 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 19 (15 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Vehicles lost 10 (10 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 2
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
144 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 19 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
11th (East African) Division
3rd New Chinese Corps
Y' Force

Defending units:
1st RTA/B Division
21st Fld AA Gun Co
85th JAAF AF Coy

[/font]
[font="Trebuchet MS"]A shot of lots of Allied troops on the move. Easy to see that the situation in Burma is changing rapidly. [/font]

Attachments
burmamarch18.jpg
burmamarch18.jpg (596.26 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Major Shane

Post by Major Shane »

I was already reading Canoerebel's A AT of this fight. So happy I found this companion. I feel like I get watch/read a heavy weight title fight and know what's going on in each corner. Good luck Obvert. Count me as subscribed.
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: m_shane_perkins

I was already reading Canoerebel's A AT of this fight. So happy I found this companion. I feel like I get watch/read a heavy weight title fight and know what's going on in each corner. Good luck Obvert. Count me as subscribed.

Once we really get going and there is some action, I'll update more regularly. So far it's a lot going on behind the scenes.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

If I were you, I would re-examine your r&d, if you haven't already.

Other than that, you know what to do. You have been here before.[;)]
obvert

Post by obvert »

If I were you, I would re-examine your r&d, if you haven't already.

Other than that, you know what to do. You have been here before.[;)]

The only thing I'll do to RnD is not add the late late war planes like I did last time. It'll be a waste of 120k supplies. [:)]

Return to “After Action Reports”