Limits on all unis

Thoughts from the dev team on Strategic Command's features.
Icier

Limits on all unis

Post by Icier »

Hi Guys,

how are the build limits set on all units?

For instance it may show on the production list 10 tanks units you may be able to produce, but when you
get down to nitty gritty it will only allow you buy say 7 units, even though you have plenty of money.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
BillRunacre

RE: Limits on all unis

Post by BillRunacre »

Hi Ice

If there are already three on the map or in the Production Queue then that would explain the difference.

Otherwise they are what you see, i.e. 10 means a maximum of 10 can be purchased, after subtracting those already in existence/queued.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Icier

Post by Icier »

Hi Bill,

that explains some of it, But, (the big but), I have never been able to build the full number of tanks
or planes while playing PBEM and that is with all the qualifiers that you have stated...eg I always have 2 panzer units
in the queue that cannot be built until someone dies& @ the same time I cannot build more than 2 motorized units.
Montbrun

Post by Montbrun »

If you invest in Logistics and Productions Technology, your ability to build certain units is increased above the starting limit.
WitE Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE Research Team
WitE2.0 Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE2.0 Research Team
WitW Alpha/Beta Tester
WitW Research Team
Piercing Fortress Europa Research Team
Desert War 1940-1942 Alpha/Beta Tester
Icier

Post by Icier »

thanks Brad
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

ORIGINAL: Ice

Hi Bill,

that explains some of it, But, (the big but), I have never been able to build the full number of tanks
or planes while playing PBEM and that is with all the qualifiers that you have stated...eg I always have 2 panzer units
in the queue that cannot be built until someone dies& @ the same time I cannot build more than 2 motorized units.

That is odd. Please can you give me some examples from your game, with the nationality and unit type?

So you can compare them directly, Germany has a Build Limit of 7 Tanks and 3 Mechanized units.

These aren't modified by research, but if all are purchased before the Afrika Korps decision then Germany can (perhaps temporarily) have 8 Tanks.

Thanks

Bill

Icier

Post by Icier »

Just starting a current game, will notify when I come across it, once again, thanks Bill for your promptness.
Icier

Post by Icier »

All seem ok, so maybe I had too many glasses of red!

However, I do have another question!

Why is the Italian navy prohibited from leaving the Mediterranean until she is at war?
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

I think of it for some time too. Italy is not a fully Axis and could not leave by the loop script.

ALIGNMENT_ID= Which game turn should this loop event run? (values range [0, 2]; Any= 0; Axis= 1; Allies= 2

#NAME= Mediterranean to the Atlantic
#COUNTRY_ID= 59
#ALIGNMENT_ID= 1
"You have to practice what you preach"(RONALD BELFORD SCOTT)
Icier

Post by Icier »

Hi Bill,

while I was checking on the Italian navy visiting countries before the war, I came across an interesting nugget

From 10 June 1940, submarines of the Regia Marina took part in the
Battle of the Atlantic alongside the U-Boats of Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine.
The Italian submarines were based in Bordeaux, France at the BETASOM base.
While more suited for the Mediterranean Sea than the Atlantic Ocean, the thirty-two Italian submarines
that operated in the Atlantic sank 109 Allied ships for a total of 593,864 tons.

I think there are grounds for an increase in Italian subs & also the removal of the block on Italian naval movement
into the Atlantic.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

I disagree and don't think the Italian surface fleet should be allowed into the Atlantic without taking Gibraltar. I agree they should perhaps have a extra starting sub, though - IRC Italy possessed more subs than the British in 1939 in real life, yet in-game the Brits start with two subs to Italy's one
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Hi

I could see players moving all of the Italian fleet out of the Med asap in the game, and sending it out to join up with the Kriegsmarine. I'm not sure this would be appropriate, and it could feel very gamey, particularly as for Italy its first priority would have been service in the Mediterranean, defending her territorial waters and reinforcements heading to Libya.

One also has to bear in mind why the Italian fleet wasn't used as much as it could have been during the war, not only for reasons of self preservation but also due to a lack of oil. Long range missions in the Atlantic or even further afield would have used up the oil reserves significantly faster.

In terms of submarines they do start with one that can be sent out of the Med once Italy enters the war. It is my understanding that BETASOM only started in August 1940, i.e. 2 months after Italy entered the war, and this is perfectly achievable in game if Italy joins the war on or near to its historical date.

Italy also benefits from attacks by mini-submarines as a bonus event for little MPP cost, which is an invisible benefit but one that should be factored in as I think that coupled with her submarine, and the ability to buy another (a move which might surprise a careless Allied opponent), they do have fair potential for the game.

Bill

OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

I still think the numbers of Italian subs are under-represented, they weren't particularly good ones, but they had large numbers
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

Return to “Developer Blog”