RAILROAD REPAIR

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

MemoryLeak

RAILROAD REPAIR

Post by MemoryLeak »

God give me strength...

Is it just me or are some aspects of this game just totally insane? Detail and complexity and realism is great,
but when a lot of it is poorly designed and just made a living hell for the fun of it, I have to push back.

So many displays and popups that use high numbers and good results in one fashion then flip them around in a
different display and completely change their meaning, order in the popup or location. No logic to a lot of
the data that is provided.

Or that data is made so difficult to dissect and understand that it is for all purposes useless.
It doesn't add to the quality of the game.

I will continue to try and play this game but it needs an overhaul. Rearrange the data in some semblance
of consistent order and meaning. But I have a feeling a giant ego is involved.

If anyone can do a simple task like ask a Railroad Repair unit(it's only purpose for existence),
to please repair a Railroad, I'd like to know how.

Here is a screenshot of a unit that seems to have plenty of supply and MP and booze, but lacks the motivation to
do it's job. As I understand it the RRC(Whatever the hell that means) has to have a number in place of
the hyphen in order to repair a broken rail. But for me I never get a number there so I can't repair anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions. And yes, I have read the manual for a week now. But I am sinking fast in convoluted
and over-complicated details.

Attachments
RRWONTREPAIR.jpg
RRWONTREPAIR.jpg (67.89 KiB) Viewed 105 times
If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
Joel Billings

RE: RAILROAD REPAIR

Post by Joel Billings »

You can only repair rails next to a working rail, or one you've already repaired during the turn (or in a port hex). So you need to repair the rail line where the British rail unit is, then the one where the 7th Army HQ is, and then you will be able to repair the hex where the US rail unit is.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Page 119 in the manual:

14.2.7.3. REPAIR ELIGIbILItY ANd RRv Damaged rail hexes must be eligible to be designated for repair by a rail repair hq unit. There is no limit on the number of hexes that can be repaired by a rail repair unit other than the mPs the unit has to expend. The hex to be repaired must be adjacent to another undamaged hex or hex that has been repaired during the current turn. This could allow the player to double up repairs and repair one track a long way in one turn. If a rail hex is not eligible for repair, the RRC will not display in the rail repair unit’s info area.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
MemoryLeak

Post by MemoryLeak »

Thanks,

I think we need about 20 more rules, regulations and procedures just to fix a railroad hex. That always
adds to a games playability.

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”