Fullscreen nothing but black and music

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Warmus

RE: Fullscreen nothing but black and music

Post by Warmus »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Window mode can't go black.

I wish it were so, id be content with that. But as of now i can only play on the windowed size that the games starts with (which is rather small... 800x600?) and if i press the "maximize" button it just goes black while in windowed mode, atleast i can access my desktop this way.
Warmus

Post by Warmus »

I solved the black screen on windowed mode atleast (with alt tab working). I unchecked under steam properties the options "Enable the Steam overlay while in-game" aswell as "use Desktop Game Theatre while SteamVR is active".
EagleMountainDK

Post by EagleMountainDK »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Window mode can't go black.

Mine did...
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

It might be different issue with steam overlay. Please try to disable it to check if if does any diffrence.

I never seen it myself, but it was reported on steam forum.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Elma666

Post by Elma666 »

Hey there. I have the Steam Version of WitW and run it with Fullscreen mode. Today in the morning all good,but now,cant load game. Black with sound....... i have nothing changed in this time.Now i deleted game and install new,but same error....Can i run the steam Version also in compatible mode to resolve the problem?
MemoryLeak

Post by MemoryLeak »

ELMA666,

Try a simple solution. It worked for me.

When you are in STEAM and you have your game list displayed, Right click on WiTW and instead of
clicking on play game , click on properties(bottom of same window) .

Two things might be checked

Enable the Steam overlay ....
Use Desktop Game Theater.....

uncheck both boxes.

Then select play game and see if it works.

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
Elma666

Post by Elma666 »

I try it but dont help. I can only run the game if i delete the wirpref.dat and start it with windowed version.If i go back to Fullscreen it doesnt start.... but thx for the answer!
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Hi Elma666, I run Windows 10 Home Edition, not sure what you have, but I had the same problem when I received my steam key and launched it with that platform. To solve it I went into the local files for the game (steam folder on your hard drive) and right clicked on the WitW Application icon, and set it to run on Windows 8 Compatibility Mode. I then made a shortcut of the application icon and put it to desktop. I run the game from the shortcut and it works perfectly every time now.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

As wrote before, I was able to replicate it on my machine. Game goes to black screen when launched fullscreen on Windows 10 (1073) with nvidia drivers 38x (with one which started to support new fulls screen optimization feature). It works fine with pre-38x driver. As workaround it was possible to run game in Windows 8 compatibility mode. It worked for me too, although I had to run compatibility wizard and just setting check box didn't work for some reason.

After extensive game engine code analysis and found that game is using non-synced frame presentation without resetting refresh rate, which wasn't an issue till resent OS/driver versions. After aligning these two settings (sync and refresh rate), I'm able to run game full screen with newest driver and w/o compatibility mode. It also works w/o disabling full screen optimization feature.

Will try to make it into next beta.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

That's great. Be sure to implement in other Grigsby games as well if this is right. I experience this in GGWBTS too.
fanchero

Post by fanchero »

Just putting it out there - late of course but the beta seemed to fix my black screen error. There was no other way around it. Thank you for the help!
Griswel

Post by Griswel »

Can you try to rename "video" folder to "novideo" and restart a game?

Worked for me, thanks.
When will the citizens of free countries learn to stop supporting dictators?
riley555

Post by riley555 »

I've tried all of these things and several different combos. Sometimes the green/black screen goes away but then it will only load 3/4 of the way and give me a runtime error :\. Tried reinstalling, verifying files etc. I'm not using a ton of memory with anything else so I don't know why I'm getting a runtime error.

Forget it, I'm done with Matrix. They can give me as many excuses as they want but I've had way, way too many technical problems with these games in the past and it's always a gamble whether or not you can find a fix or not. It's usually just 'try this and 8 other things that might work, and if they don't then tough luck, we will keep the $90 you sent us'

Return to “Tech Support”