The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Mike McCreery

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Retirement set-night bombardment.
remain on station-day bombardment.

Except if you are bombarding a non base hex which I never really do.

I have never seen this vary in ten years of playing this game.
If you already have a good D/L from night recon, your "Remain on Station" TF has a chance of bombarding both night and day.
I've never even heard of that.

I have seen it happen a few times over the course of years. Maybe the commander needs to be crazy aggressive or something. Rare and you could never count on it. Also about 50% or less effective than the first bombardment.
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Wow, yes - his whole position is about to be unhinged. Lots of really good airfields are about to fall into your hands & there is no way that he's going to be able to hold Shanghai for more than a couple of weeks.

It's really getting ugly.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

any thoughts to a missive night bombing of the port at Shanghai? That will really choke whatever supply might still be getting in and distributed
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

What are the "KillS" for your squadrons? Especially your bombers - land/naval.

90TH BOMB GROUP
"THE JOLLY ROGERS"

"No single heavy bomber unit in the Air Corps has ever claimed to beat the record of the JOLLY ROGERS in the number of enemy attackers shot out of the skies."

Attachments
90thBomb..upPhoto.jpg
90thBomb..upPhoto.jpg (77.07 KiB) Viewed 92 times

palioboy2

Post by palioboy2 »

Are you working at all toward concentrating your Chinese forces in the open bases hexes? It seems like if you create a breakthrough of any sort along the Chinese line the whole of China will fall apart for him.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: obvert

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: obvert

Having seen it from the Japanese side I can tell you that 7k is fine. No need to skewer your beasts on balloons.

Having been Japanese and seeing bombers at 7K not do what my bombers at 2K do...

Sure, but you lose and damage the beasts at 2k. Your operation frequency is also a factor in strat bombing. The more strikes the better, so your results might not be as good each strike, but you get more in per week.

Not really. You can't do more than 2 Formosa- or China-range sorties with B-29s in a row, and sometimes only 1, anyway. I'd rather go at 2K and just let them repair. Your aircraft also aren't the only things setting the operational tempo. Opponent's disposition does as well.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

If you already have a good D/L from night recon, your "Remain on Station" TF has a chance of bombarding both night and day.

I have seen it happen a few times over the course of years. Maybe the commander needs to be crazy aggressive or something. Rare and you could never count on it. Also about 50% or less effective than the first bombardment.

I've never seen it happen twice. With good DL, the bombardment TF will blow its full load in one bombardment. And to my knowledge, as soon as they bombard once they revert to SCTF.

As for remain on station = day bombardment: sometimes, but not always. I've also had retirement allowed TFs bombard during the day, but it's very rare. I did just have one of those happen a few turns ago.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I've never seen it happen twice.
That's more than I've never seen it happen. [:D] [:'(] [;)]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

I've never seen it happen twice. With good DL, the bombardment TF will blow its full load in one bombardment. And to my knowledge, as soon as they bombard once they revert to SCTF.

As for remain on station = day bombardment: sometimes, but not always. I've also had retirement allowed TFs bombard during the day, but it's very rare. I did just have one of those happen a few turns ago.

I suppose it could happen if they tangled with a lot of units coming in and burned up all their OP points and had to wait a phase. That would be the only way that I know it could happen. But can't remember ever seeing it.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Bombardment TFs, like Starland Vocal Band, are one-hit wonders.

Good one!

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

any thoughts to a missive night bombing of the port at Shanghai? That will really choke whatever supply might still be getting in and distributed
What sort of missives are you going to be sending?
"Tojo is so bald that we use his shiny head to guide us to target"
"Your Kamikazes are so poorly trained they fly along our ships side and give us AA practice"
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

What sort of missives are you going to be sending?
"Tojo is so bald that we use his shiny head to guide us to target"
"Your Kamikazes are so poorly trained they fly along our ships side and give us AA practice"

"One night in Shanghai makes a Japanese Fanboy humble"
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

10/31/44

Fancy Pants: The Allies are gaining momentum in the breakouts on the south and north ends of Fancy Pants. There is danger out there. I always try to maintain adequate defenses. But the question remains: Where is the Japanese navy? Where is the Japanese air force? If John doesn't fight now, when? (A question asked at Formosa, at Luzon, in the DEI, etc.)

Attachments
103144FancyPants.jpg
103144FancyPants.jpg (957.84 KiB) Viewed 96 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Have you been laying minefields at Hobart???
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Jeff, did you mean to post your question in another AAR?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Looks like an operational security breech. You were not supposed to know of the Hobart Invasion :-)
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

No, seriously, you really need to think about beefing up those defenses at Hobart..[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

Think about it...

John takes Tasmania to divert you from your goal. We know he is up to something....

You can never be too complete with your defenses.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

11/1/44

Fancy Pants: Lots of reinforcements unload at Foochow and Ningpo tomorrow. Allies have arrived in strength at Hangchow and will feel out the defenses by artillery bombardment tomorrow.

Attachments
110144FancyPants.jpg
110144FancyPants.jpg (856.51 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

11/1/44

Hobart: Are there mines at Hobart? No. But there is supply. A lot of it.

Attachments
110144H..Tasmania.jpg
110144H..Tasmania.jpg (214.86 KiB) Viewed 96 times

Return to “After Action Reports”